Jan 06, 2005, 11:23 PM
Thread OP
Question

learn to fly in or out?

I keep reading in a lot of threads that ppl should do their first flights outside when the wind is down... Well, im a junior in high school and i have access to my school gym ... should i practice here as there will b no wind? or would it still be better to practice like on someone's front lawn? the only prollem with flyin it outside is i cant and wont be able to for like 3 months cuz there's 2 feet of snow at my house and all around AND another few storms are here from now till monday (I love skiing and snow) (I cant sly heli outside)... but still would it be better to try gym or jus do it outside?

~Death~
to remove ads between posts
Jan 06, 2005, 11:32 PM
the gym will work perfect
Jan 06, 2005, 11:37 PM
Thread OP
ok cool... another ?... when im learnin to hover with my heli, how high should i keep it? im thinkin like bout chest high, but im not sure...

~Death~
Jan 06, 2005, 11:37 PM
Add a little potential for more destruction...and fly in the house, its a blast!!!

-Ryan
Jan 06, 2005, 11:40 PM
At least two feet off the ground toget more control
Jan 06, 2005, 11:46 PM
Thread OP
yeah i flew in the house already... wasnt pretty...

ok thnx i jus wanted to know when the ground effect faded off..

~death~
Jan 06, 2005, 11:58 PM
when learning, keep it as low as possible, untill you get more confident. One thing is you need to get out of ground effect, about a foot high. Another tip, as soon as the tail starts to drift, immediately put rudder input to face the tail towards you. The tail is one of the most important things when learning to hover
Phil
Jan 08, 2005, 06:38 PM
You got 2 feet of snow...
but its awesome that u have the school gym to your disposal
im a sophemore
id get a saturday cause Id behead someone with my skills right now....lol
but it snowed for a while and then rained at about 32 F so it froze up and
the snow had a 1cm of ice on it....it would brake with my weight but the helis just fine
guess what I did ....took the heli on a cold calm day out and let sk8 across the back yard with the training kit
I had a blast
my 8 year old sister laughed her butt off
ooh to answer your Q. the gym is as good as it gets... Im simply jelous
lol
Jan 08, 2005, 06:45 PM
I learned to fly in my garage...now I have been honing my skills in my bedroom (12' x 10').

I took my heli to school last Friday, watch out for the crazy PE kids in the gym! I am in HS as well, so I have access to the gym everyday, but it is simply easier to just do it in the house...and you can do it in the evening after school.

Hovering height: I find my heli most stable at about waist-high and up, but be careful not to hit the ceiling!

-Matt
Jan 08, 2005, 07:21 PM
I found that it was easier to learn in a slightly smaller space, that way I tended not to let the heli drift too much and the crash, so a bedroom is ideal.

When you learn to hover you should learn with the tail to just to the side - do both sides. When you get more confident you should practice hovering with the heli about head height. It isn't any more difficult, I think it just takes a bit of getting used to, and you don't want that when you are trying to so something else
Jan 08, 2005, 11:54 PM
yo guyz little Q.
how big is your bedroom
I mean death has a 3d heli which you need some space
of coarse some to practice but not to small
cause if the heli should for any reason drift to the side either through human or technical error the blades go Bye bye so I dont see any, ANY reason why you should start off learning in your bedroom were every piece of furniture is a potential heli destroyer ..lol
gyms are awesome no wind big space can move all you want and hey its a CP heli and if hes not using it that way, STILL the gym is excellent for hover practice
of coarse if he then acquired some skill he can practice in the living room or bedroom or for the guyz that really want the hover feel go in the closet or get the bladerunner....lol
I mean hey 3d or CP, whatever, arent meant to be flown in the bedroom(except if u live in the palace and the bedroom is quite big), if death has a gym use it as often as possible
oh and david lets say your a beginner, totally new to helis
did you let your first heli hover in the bedroom as soon as it was RTF?
Of coarse you get more cautious in not letting it drift
but did u have the skills to not let it do so?
No offense but I highly doubt that
So death, I strongly encourage you to go with the gym until u have some confidence
to fly it in the house
Good luck!!
Jan 09, 2005, 12:12 AM
Thread OP
thank u all for ur advice... I will start with the gym as ive been practicin on the sim and im gettin good at FF and if i get a couple hours after school in the gym ill try some FF and maybe some figure 8's... Although, Lino, i do have a very large room... 20X30... but not that much floor space cuz i have 2 dressers, a desk, king size bed, and of course my ebtertainment center... lol

~Death~
Jan 09, 2005, 08:08 AM
yea my is pracically the roof of the garage so its big too bit hazardous cause of the furniture
I guess ur entertainment center is the PC ...?
yea mine too
Jan 09, 2005, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lino
yo guyz little Q.
oh and david lets say your a beginner, totally new to helis
did you let your first heli hover in the bedroom as soon as it was RTF?
Of coarse you get more cautious in not letting it drift
but did u have the skills to not let it do so?
No offense but I highly doubt that
I read tons of advice saying "just get it out of GE, you will be fine..." Well, I did that...... up it goes, over it goes, SMACK into the wall - broke a blade at the root. After that I kept it down in GE, I did all my learning in GE until I was more comfortable to go higher. Of course it is FP so it really doesn't damage anything.

If I had a CP, and a decent radio that I would go outside, or better a gym. But if you are confident enough and safe enough, try your room.
Jan 09, 2005, 11:12 AM
Blade Springs "Rock"
Sounds like rigging to me.......everything must be checked......so the swashplate is level.......and the flybar paddles are level with that....

G109

Quick Reply