Oct 24, 2019, 09:27 AM

Xk x420 VTOL motor not working

I have this model for a few Months now but after 2 flights the richt motor doesnt funcion anymore.
I checked the control board connecties, no damage found.
Could it be I have a bad product ?
Thanks for yr help.
Rudy
to remove ads between posts
Oct 24, 2019, 09:34 AM
Richt motor not werking, checked controll board but no damage found
Maybe dus product ?
Oct 25, 2019, 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywulf657
Richt motor not werking, checked controll board but no damage found
Maybe dus product ?
Unplug motor wires from flight controller and swap them over to check if it is the motor that has failed. Just blip the throttle to test - don't run flat out or for a long time. Did you have the motor & prop stuck while under power? That's a good way to kill brushed motors. Use the motor kill procedure if you look like crashing to save motors - push both shoulder buttons at the same time.
Dec 21, 2019, 01:12 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Just got mine. I've only hovered it in the yard so far. Appreciate all the tips.

I wonder if the nose-down characteristic is due to the guards? Anyone fly without yet?

I ask because my manual came with an extra loose-leaflet page stating that the guards will add weight and retard performance and only are for beginner use. I plan to fly without them. I noticed the loss of performance flying quads with add-on guards, so I anticipated this. Their location well forward of the C/G location of the plane could indeed give a nose-down feel. They don't weigh much, but smaller craft are more sensitive to small weight shifts/changes.

I already have the X520 and have learned to cut power quickly upon tail-landing, so not worried about flying without the guards.... Mine always falls over no matter how careful I am or how slow I land ... Prop torque knocking it over?

Scan of extra page below. Not sure if these are common distribution now or not.
Last edited by AirDOGGe; Dec 21, 2019 at 01:20 PM.
Dec 21, 2019, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDOGGe
Just got mine. I've only hovered it in the yard so far. Appreciate all the tips.

I wonder if the nose-down characteristic is due to the guards? Anyone fly without yet?

I ask because my manual came with an extra loose-leaflet page stating that the guards will add weight and retard performance and only are for beginner use. I plan to fly without them. I noticed the loss of performance flying quads with add-on guards, so I anticipated this. Their location well forward of the C/G location of the plane could indeed give a nose-down feel. They don't weigh much, but smaller craft are more sensitive to small weight shifts/changes.

I already have the X520 and have learned to cut power quickly upon tail-landing, so not worried about flying without the guards.... Mine always falls over no matter how careful I am or how slow I land ... Prop torque knocking it over?

Scan of extra page below. Not sure if these are common distribution now or not.
I didn't see that page in my now older 1. As to the guards they sounded like good idea at the time but (as with most quad prop guards) broke almost immediately & were tossed. For landing lean into wind & it flops forward works for me. It might just be mine but I don't seem to have had a problem with nose-down - but servos properly centered & gyros calibrated always at take-off. I'm sure that you've already read about using the bind button on the 420 receiver to use your X8 controller from the X520 but actually I find the 2 shoulder buttons for motor kill on the X4 controller to be better than the X8 stock. Just watch your flight times on this as it just falls out of the sky at LVC. Looking forward to hearing your more experienced impressions of this.
Dec 21, 2019, 07:04 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Pulling the nose gear to lighten the front and reduce drag is also something to try if not tried already (I'm late to this game). I fly most of my foamies with no gear for better wheels-up performance and gentle grass landings. BE sure to watch C/G if you try it with the 420. A tail-heavy plane will not fly for long, if at tall.

Quote:
It might just be mine but I don't seem to have had a problem with nose-down
If you tossed your guards early, then it should not be as nose-heavy by a small amount. Maybe the theory works (or not). I'll find out personally soon enough.

Quote:
I'm sure that you've already read about using the bind button on the 420 receiver to use your X8 controller from the X520
I was NOT aware of that. Until just now every message or comment I have read said not compatible, including POST #3 in this very thread. Admittedly I have not strolled through any "unofficial" X420 thread yet. The X450 and X520 threads have been keeping my attention. Would you have a link to the thread and post in discussion?

Good to know about the X8, as the closed gimbals on the smaller X420's TX are horrible. First time I encountered them is with the transmitter for my WLtoys V272 micro quad, and I despise their dead feel and poor design that futilely tries to use one spring for 2 axis's. Cheap to build, but terrible feel at the sticks.

The X8 has proper 2-spring open-gimbals and a full size case that feels better in my hands. I like to extend the sticks and tighten the springs, as is available with this unit and all my older electronics. I did most of my flying on Futaba TXs in the 1980s/90's, so I like to retain that feel. People used to game console controller joysticks may not feel the same way.

Breaking out the X8 as soon as I hit REPLY to try out your suggestion. I'll be flying the smaller tail-sitter at a nearby park once the weather allows. I need to find a larger site for the bigger VTOLs though....Too fast from what I have seen.

Thanks again for the tip.
Last edited by AirDOGGe; Dec 21, 2019 at 07:11 PM.
Dec 23, 2019, 07:13 PM
Just Plane Nutts
OK. first flight in. One word....FUN! 1st time was with the stock TX so I can compare later.

I did notice a nose-down notion switching to horizontal flight until enough lift was achieved, but it trimmed out easy enough. I left both the guards and the nose gear off, so that may have helped with getting closer to proper balance. The lack of nose-down drag from the missing nose wheel may have helped there too.

I may still play with moving the battery aft. I plan to try some 600 mAh packs in it someday that only weight 5 grams more than the 500's (the weight of a nickle) and I do not wish to upset the C/G. For now I ordered these 500mAh packs of similar weight and lower price (I already have the correct connectors for them): https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Crazep...53.m2749.l2649

Here's the video. First flight went well, but I did not have extra packs to aim my hat cam, and shot too high the first time around. Fortunately I did not fly to LVC, and had enough juice left over for a successful second short hop to shoot.

NOTE both times I cut power just before touchdown and it set down proper. Every time I've tried to do it with the throttle stick it falls over. The early kill method saves props too if it DOES topple. Who needs guards?

Good stuff!

XK X420 tail-sitting VTOL RC airplane (Maiden flight day) (3 min 17 sec)
Last edited by AirDOGGe; Dec 23, 2019 at 07:22 PM.
Dec 24, 2019, 03:25 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Wow, the packs came today, only 2 days after I ordered/paid for them. A shame it's raining today.

Bang Good wants $13.86 each (plus insurance) for their X420 packs ($7.99 + $5.87 shipping).

I got the similar Crazy Pony packs for $17.50 a pair + $1.58 tax ... $19.08 total, a savings of $8.64 compared to BG's packs. Bang Good sometimes offers 10% off if you buy more than one, so at least a $6 savings. I have a couple of JST plugs available and left over from a plug-swap on packs for my X450 that I can re-use on these.

Found them on eBay, but I also see them on Amazon.

Funny how the Li-Po's were shipped. Both packs were wrapped in bubble pack and stuffed into that small white box, which was left to bounce around freely (?) inside that overly-large shipping box. No padding or packing at all! That's why the white one looks so beat up. All is OK though. The bubble pack around each battery did it's job.
Dec 28, 2019, 11:42 AM
Anyone managed to bind and setup this model with OpenTx and multiprotocol module?
Dec 28, 2019, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardel
Anyone managed to bind and setup this model with OpenTx and multiprotocol module?
I don't believe so. Someone asked the French boys etc about the 420/520 protocol but I haven't seen anything yet.
Anyone going there could also add the Xk X450 & JJRC M02 to the list.
Jan 15, 2020, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztreecrasher
I don't believe so. Someone asked the French boys etc about the 420/520 protocol but I haven't seen anything yet.
Anyone going there could also add the Xk X450 & JJRC M02 to the list.
If anyone is interested the protocol is almost ready for OpenTx and Multimodule and needs some additional testers/TX Id's, please can you head over here and assist with additional ID's
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...odule/page1107

Quick Reply