Mar 02, 2019, 12:11 PM
Foam is my friend!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhark37
Yes, I did. Used a Hobby Mate FPV Racer Quadcopter Satellite Receiver available from Amazon for $14.99. Has bind button that makes it easy.

The Tyro has a built in connector on the FC board to attach the Rx. And a small cable comes with the kit that fits that and has a 'normal' servo type connector on the other end. I clipped off the servo connector and spliced that set of wires to the set that comes with the Rx.

If you need more help, just ask,or PM.

John
John, I'm using a DSMX Receiver, but can't get it to communicate with the FC? (It is bound ok!), what FC board connections did you use with your hobbymate Rx? did you bridge to the PPM pad or SBUS? and which Reciever settings did you select in Betaflight (I used "Speksat" & Spectrum 2048)?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 02, 2019, 02:18 PM
Flyr John in Floyd VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewZee
John, I'm using a DSMX Receiver, but can't get it to communicate with the FC? (It is bound ok!), what FC board connections did you use with your hobbymate Rx? did you bridge to the PPM pad or SBUS? and which Reciever settings did you select in Betaflight (I used "Speksat" & Spectrum 2048)?
Hi, NewZee,

Solder bridge to PPM pad. Using Speksat and 2048 as you mentioned. Connection is UART2. On the BF SetUp tab, please check if there are any 'Arming disable flags' in the Info Box, upper right.

I'm afraid this is beginning to look like the same issue, whatever it is, preventing me from binding properly with my Jumper Tx. But we'll see. My Rx looked as though it was bound, solid yellow light, but the disable flags indicated no signal.

Do let me know about the disable flags.....

John
Mar 02, 2019, 03:50 PM
Foam is my friend!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhark37
Hi, NewZee,

...Do let me know about the disable flags.....

John
Hi John,
Wired as you mentioned, but I'm getting flags 3,5,17!! I have also tried connecting to SBUS!, and have tried UART1 and UART2 many times!!
...Bill
Mar 02, 2019, 04:23 PM
Flyr John in Floyd VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewZee
Hi John,
Wired as you mentioned, but I'm getting flags 3,5,17!! I have also tried connecting to SBUS!, and have tried UART1 and UART2 many times!!
...Bill
Afraid of that. 3 means no signal from receiver. If I knew how to drag a link on here, I'd do it. But if you google: 'Arming Sequence and Safety' it should take you to the page that lists all the disable codes. Unfortunately, I do not know what to do from here. Sorry I can't be more help. And a request, if you do figure it out, please share! Even a PM.

Good luck,

John
Mar 20, 2019, 07:38 AM
Hi all.

Also having a pig of a time trying to get my DX6 to talk to my flight controller.

I have tried following the guides i have seen online but no success so far.

Using a Radcon satellite receiver and have set spekstat 2048 in Betaflight with the UART2 enabled
Have also bridged the middle to ppm pads.

I haven't soldered directly to the FC as i see some others have done and have plugged in at the port. Would that make any difference if soldered directly?

I have bound the receiver to the transmitter remotely with a little gadget i bought that connects to computer via USB. Seems to bind fine with that however when it is plugged back into the FC and powered up it is flashing again and not solid green.

I have also flashed the flight controller with the the most recent but one firmware.

This stuff is all new to me and has been a massive learning curve.

If anyone could offer any help or advice would be massively appreciated as im starting to get a bit frustrated lol. Cant be to hard figure out surely however i've come to the end of my skills and hope someone can put me on the right track. Cheers
Mar 24, 2019, 07:37 AM
Foam is my friend!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory887
Hi all.

Also having a pig of a time trying to get my DX6 to talk to my flight controller.
I had basically the same issue! I ended up "unbridging" the small PPM/SBUS pads, and soldering directly to the FC (3.3V, Ground, and signal) rebound the Rx (Also a redcon) and it worked PS I also had to clear some "Arming Flags" ...like my USB was plugged into the FC !! VTX has gone black!!! I'm also very frustrated and sorry I bought the Tyro 79!!
Mar 24, 2019, 08:10 AM
Foam is my friend!!!
Quote:
Hi all.

This is how I connected directly to the FC (except I used the 3.3V pad for power because I'm using a Redcon Rx) , this way worked for me!! But as stated now I'm having VTX issues!! I also used UART1 for my Rx port! hope it helps!? BTW I got this help from someone on the Tyro 79 FB group!
Mar 25, 2019, 04:05 AM
Thanks so much for reply.

I was obviously pretty frustrated when i posted as i've just realised i posted to aTyro 79 thread and i have the 99 lol.

Your advice is pretty much what i have decided to do which is not use the plug in port and wire directly to the 3.3 volt, ground and ppm pads on the flight controller of my 99. Interesting that 79 owners have had similar issues.

I think i would take vtx issues at the moment if i could just get this thing in the air.

Not sure about the bridge though. should i not have it bridged when wired directly to the board.

sorry i know this is not the right threads to be asking more questions on the 99 and if you could point me to a more appropriate one.

Have been holding off making the changes until i figured out which direction to take.

thanks again.
Mar 25, 2019, 08:36 PM
Foam is my friend!!!
Quote:
Thanks so much for reply.

I was obviously pretty frustrated when i posted as i've just realised i posted to aTyro 79 thread and i have the 99 lol.

Your advice is pretty much what i have decided to do which is not use the plug in port and wire directly to the 3.3 volt, ground and ppm pads on the flight controller of my 99. Interesting that 79 owners have had similar issues.

I think i would take vtx issues at the moment if i could just get this thing in the air.

Not sure about the bridge though. should i not have it bridged when wired directly to the board.

sorry i know this is not the right threads to be asking more questions on the 99 and if you could point me to a more appropriate one.

Have been holding off making the changes until i figured out which direction to take.

thanks again.
For what it's worth I DO NOT have the small pads bridged on my Tyro 79 as wired per the picture I posted above! if you need to un solder the bridge you can use some stranded wire to "Wick" away solder place the strands on the solder and place the iron on top works just like the braid made for this purpose! Good luck
Mar 25, 2019, 08:47 PM
Foam is my friend!!!

Tyro 79 has finally taken to the air!!

Not a big fan of the Tyro 79 so far , Lots of issues in the build, Connecting to the FC , bridging, not bridging, PPM, SBUS, DSMX needing 3.3V ), I ended up going directly to the FC for ground and voltage, and used Rx1 for signal, unbridged the small pads, and selected UART1 for Serial Rx (I use DSMX! (, next had intermittent VTX (Black screen), and Smart Audio (Tramp) issues, seems like I got that all set now, ? but still can't get channel setting to stick?

I've done a test hover indoors with low pitch props (3028), and seems like it took too much throttle to lift off , so I put on some 3054's, seems a little better with these props. went outside to do a brief LOS test flight (on 3S), and it seems OK in Angle, and Horizon mode (didn't fly ACRO LOS!). Should do the proper FPV maiden tomorrow!! Fingers crossed.

I still find it hard to warm up to this Quad???... Maybe cause of all the problems I've been having? But I have to admit it is a good looking Quad!!!
Mar 26, 2019, 02:30 PM
Foam is my friend!!!

Video of the Maiden FPV Flight!

Hi All,
Despite several issues with the build, I persevered, and finally got the Tyro 79 in the air!!! here is a video of the initial FPV flights!

Tyro 79 FPV Maiden Flight (6 min 33 sec)
Mar 29, 2019, 10:43 AM
Nice vid. congrats on getting up and running.
soldering directly to the flight controller and not bridging the pads seemed to have solved the issues with my 99
Just got to figure out how to set the travel adjusts on the tramsmitter now.
Mar 29, 2019, 05:17 PM
Foam is my friend!!!
Quote:
Nice vid. congrats on getting up and running.
soldering directly to the flight controller and not bridging the pads seemed to have solved the issues with my 99
Just got to figure out how to set the travel adjusts on the tramsmitter now.
On my Spektrum DX9 I set travel on my transmitter to "147" on Throttle, elevator, rudder and aileron before I even go to Betaflight, and I'm always real close to 1000 to 2000 range on stick movements, only need small adjustments from there!
Apr 02, 2019, 07:10 AM
Mine was completely out of wack and i solved it by inputting some CLI commands in Betaflight. Then fine tuned on my DX6.

This is the link i used for anyone else who might have similar issues.

https://www.droningon.co/2017/03/23/...match-rxrange/

Thank god for the internet !

First flights were at the weekend and it flew perfectly. Not tried it in FPV yet although everything is set up.
Even on 3s batteries it was very powerful. I have a set of 4s on order which should be interesting.

Might have a look at getting a 79 too at some point now i have a bit more experience building a kit.
Apr 16, 2019, 06:20 PM
NewZee Do you have a diagram or more pictures of how you soldered to the FC this is my first DIY quad and I'm trying to get my spectrum receiver to work Thanks

Quick Reply