Mar 27, 2019, 08:39 PM
AKA Mr Pita
It's looking very good. If I'm lucky then your build might jump start my stalled build. I need to get mine ready for the Carmel fun run in august.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 28, 2019, 06:24 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Thread OP
It’s been an on again off again build. I set it aside to finish a Newport 12 sailboat, and now she’s queen of the bench again. I have a goal to be in primer by next month!
Mar 28, 2019, 07:16 AM
I meant to do that....
Love those Newports!
Mar 28, 2019, 10:25 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburned
Love those Newports!
For anyone interested here's a link to my build thread on the Newport 12 : https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-“Excelsior”
Mar 30, 2019, 11:17 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Thread OP
A bit of progress. Rudder, bow planes and stern planes servos installed. For now Im also using the stock Robbe 500 motors ( I have M-tronics brushed speed controls on hand). Later on I want to swap out for a pair of Graupner speed 500 low rpm brushless outrunners and speed controls. I am fortunate to have several Robbe F14 Navy surface radios ( twin stick left side) so we will have the following functionality: twin throttles, bow planes , stern planes (with angle keeper) , rudder, ballast control, and sounds. Im planning a Harbor models sound module. I think thats about it. Only 2 or three months more work.
Jul 08, 2019, 02:50 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Thread OP
Finished the Type XXIII project, time for some Type VII work.
Jul 08, 2019, 02:57 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Thread OP
Fill sand repeat! A shot of grey primer then fill sand repeat. The Robbe hull is devoid of detail. The plan is to get the hull as smooth as possible before starting on weld lines , butt straps etc... The transition of the aft hull section is taking a fair bit of work.
Dec 12, 2019, 08:38 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Thread OP
Back on the build. Bayonet Rings just arrived from Engle Modellbau, and a pair of period correct brass screws (sharp cones). I've also ordered a pair of Speed 500 low RPM Brushless motors from Graupner USA. Tech rack is completed, ballast tank installed (Maximus Modellbau tank), servos installed (Hitech standard servos) plus one for bow planes. I will have the bow planes pushrod exit aft, then link up to a long pushrod going forward. I used this setup on the Ships n Things demo model I built over a decade ago. Pics as soon as I get the rings installed!
Dec 14, 2019, 03:08 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Thread OP
Tech rack nearly there. Im awaiting a pair of speed 500 brushless motors and speed controls , then I can wire her up The stern with new screws. The kit supplied plastic rudder supports went in the trash and fabricated new ones in brass. Despite the bayonet rings I think I will keep the cylinder removable.
Dec 14, 2019, 06:06 PM
Stephen,
I am building a tech rack for a piston system I am working on. The question I have is the nuts used to lock the frames in, do you use a lock-tight or something to keep them from loosening up?
Peace,
Tom
Dec 15, 2019, 10:33 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Thread OP
I used locktight on some, once I established the intervals. Some are still loose awaiting the final assembly.
Dec 15, 2019, 10:08 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Thread OP
Ive rigged the hull to be able to slide the entire cylinder in and out. Heres the sequence: remove aft deck ( held with magnets) remove thumb nut, slide out cylinder, unlock bayonet rings. Viola ! Boat is disassembled and every portion can be accessed.
Dec 16, 2019, 06:34 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Very smart...I love those Engle rings and the tech rack...both the way to go!
Latest blog entry: Mark V Navy Seal SOC
Dec 16, 2019, 11:41 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Thread OP
I am loving the bayonet rings and tech rack. compared to how it was supposed to go together , this is lightyears ahead. the two major faults of the kit are addressed; The stock rack is way too weak , plus the infamous screw joiner (those who've built one know of which I speak). I am very happy with how this is turning out. Now details , details , details... while awaiting more parts. I Do Not intend to get down to the rivets, but all the weld lines, butt straps etc.. are going on.
Dec 16, 2019, 03:23 PM
Great looking boat so far!

Quick Reply