Dec 21, 2018, 09:03 AM
Thread OP
New Product

TBS Unify Pro 5G8 HV Race-2

Just In-This VTX Looks Amazing!
to remove ads between posts
Feb 06, 2019, 12:26 AM
yeah, problem is that betaflight doesn't support smart audio v2.1 yet... so unless you're using crossfire or core pro there's no smart audio on anything with smart audio v2.1... way to go TBS..
Feb 06, 2019, 07:38 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by t wrecks
yeah, problem is that betaflight doesn't support smart audio v2.1 yet... so unless you're using crossfire or core pro there's no smart audio on anything with smart audio v2.1... way to go TBS..
Yes, I've discovered that as well. "Unfortunate." There's a BF Patch in the works which should be out within the next 10 days or so, I believe. I was able to do a review on it without Smart Audio for now:
MICRO FPV DRONE PARTS-VTX TBS UNIFY PRO RACE 2 (15 min 50 sec)
Feb 07, 2019, 03:57 AM
ya, bought this not realizing that Smart Audio was not working yet in BF, been beating my head against a wall trying to figure out why only option was STATX.
Feb 08, 2019, 10:55 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpcSubby
ya, bought this not realizing that Smart Audio was not working yet in BF, been beating my head against a wall trying to figure out why only option was STATX.
You're not alone-I did exactly the same thing!

I'm going through short list of VTXs to determine "best" for my Micro Builds. "Best" being small size, reasonable cost, good quality video, and with audio transmission capability (microphone on-board or better yet an audio-In pad on the VTX to support a tiny external Mic like an Electret or for audio line from camera mic).

This TBS Race 2 looked good on paper. I'm not against it, just wish Smart Audio 2.1 was working when they released it.
Anyway, posting a review on another lesser-known VTX for micros today from UBAD. MiMiC-X Mini. No smart Audio, but easy to change channels & power with small button. Think I'll have a review of a VTX with Smart Audio and all good, working options for a Micro out next week
Feb 10, 2019, 05:45 PM
So that's what is going on with this VTX. This patch, so I just need to update my flight controller? My Holybro f7 has Betaflight 3.5 on it, it must need 3.5xx.
I have trouble with the little button. I find it hard to press and I often fail to get the channels/band to change. This is not a criticism of the VTX, it is just me.
Feb 10, 2019, 05:58 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Gates
So that's what is going on with this VTX. This patch, so I just need to update my flight controller? My Holybro f7 has Betaflight 3.5 on it, it must need 3.5xx.
I have trouble with the little button. I find it hard to press and I often fail to get the channels/band to change. This is not a criticism of the VTX, it is just me.
The AKK&RDQ Fix option mentioned in the review video I posted did not work for me. I have not tried the 10k Ohm resistor nor the Butterflight options. Supposedly, there is a "patch" coming out in BetaFlight 3.5.6 and/or BF 4.0. Last I heard, the patch was "supposed" to come out mid-Feb with 3.5.6 so you'll just have to watch Betaflight releases : https://github.com/betaflight/betaflight/releases

Once Betaflight releases the "patch" you should just need to flash it to your Flight Controller. Until then, I'm stuck pushing the button (if I continue to use it).
Feb 23, 2019, 08:50 AM
Team WarpSquad [ L ] Learner
I don't mind the button for the moment, I'll work on the BF method when it's all sorted.

I did notice there are pins and or plastic stubs protruding through the PCB (9) on mine and some of them
are around 0.5mm in height. As the double sided sticky pad I got with mine is probably the same thickness
or maybe thinner when the paper/plastic is eventually removed when applied, I was a bit concerned if Pins
they could short out on a carbon frame if you press hard to stick the unit down etc.
I may use a thicker sticky pad on mine, just in case.
Feb 23, 2019, 09:59 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Toys
I don't mind the button for the moment, I'll work on the BF method when it's all sorted.

I did notice there are pins and or plastic stubs protruding through the PCB (9) on mine and some of them
are around 0.5mm in height. As the double sided sticky pad I got with mine is probably the same thickness
or maybe thinner when the paper/plastic is eventually removed when applied, I was a bit concerned if Pins
they could short out on a carbon frame if you press hard to stick the unit down etc.
I may use a thicker sticky pad on mine, just in case.
Smart Audio 2.1 is now supported in BF 3.5.6 as of Feb 17, 2019:
"Added support for connecting to SmartAudio 2.1 devices (#7461)"
Feb 23, 2019, 10:06 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by t wrecks
Feb 23, 2019, 10:07 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpcSubby
Feb 23, 2019, 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMacFPV
Thanks,
I have a few things using BF but the HV Race 2 unit is going into a KISS / KISS machine.
Feb 23, 2019, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMacFPV
Thanks ya I saw that and can confirm that it works as well as with the bf Lua scripts on opentx 2.2.1
Apr 06, 2019, 08:10 PM
A stand alone Manual for this unit alone would be a good start.

The only one I can find does not even have this new unit and it seems to an compilation of earlier TBS types they've
just added to as new designs come on line, all in the same continuing document.

I don't want to wade through the BS of every previous model and scan the document for dribs and drabs
of relevant information that I need to know for this unit alone.

Get it together TBS, "pull ya finger out" and supply some decent documentation.
Apr 07, 2019, 11:55 AM
How do we connect the CRSF TX pad on the side of the VTX? Is this used in place of smart audio? I currently have the smart audio connected to pin 4 of my nano RX. Do I connect the CRSF TX pad to pin 3? Or maybe one of the other two available pins?

Quick Reply