Dec 21, 2018, 01:42 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Emax TinyHawk w/Spektrum DSMX RX

For those of you wanting to fly the TinyHawk on Spektrum, get you one of these tiny DSMX RX SATs on Amazon for $16 and solder it in yourself: https://tinyurl.com/yakn6gg6

It needs to be soldered to 5V, GND, and RX2. I used the same ground the camera is on, & there is also 5V on the same side of the board. The RX2 pad is on the opposite side of the board (battery side)...

In BetaFlight, disable serial port (UART) 1 and enable port 2. Set port 2 to serial, Spektrum 2048.

The RX fits inside, but just BARELY, and only in a specific spot. In the last photo you can can see the extra wiring, antenna sticking out, and a tiny corner of the RX under the main board in there.

I don't know if it flies any different with that tiny bit of weight added, but I wouldn't know the difference because I didn't fly it until I got the DSMX RX in it. (TinyHawk was gifted to me)

Props to MadMax for giving me this quad & the heads up on that little DSMX RX!
Last edited by DesertClimber; Mar 14, 2019 at 07:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 23, 2018, 07:16 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Thanks for the excellent write up and permission to add this info to my review thread.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Dec 23, 2018, 04:13 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
Thanks for the excellent write up and permission to add this info to my review thread.
No worries!

Mine flies pretty good with the little RX in there!

Someone else found this tiny RX @ Newbee: I'm sure it would work the same, but should save some weight not having the connector, and it might be even smaller overall.

https://newbeedrone.com/collections/...tible-receiver
Feb 04, 2019, 09:30 AM
U lookin at me?
Thanks for this, I have been looking for a good micro receiver for such a conversion. I just picked up the one in the last post so we'll see.
Feb 25, 2019, 04:22 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
I've tried to solder on a fullspeed dsmx. I don't seem to be getting any power to the rx ? I soldered the +/- to the sbus pads. I am assuming this is 5v +/-. then the yellow to the RX2 pad..

I also changed the uart port to 2, disabled 1 . but it will not stay ?

on top of that, to bind. I have to go to the CLI. type in "spektrum_sat_bind=9" it says unknown command

sure I have something wrong...crazy: rolleyes:
Feb 25, 2019, 04:32 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinNC
I've tried to solder on a fullspeed dsmx. I don't seem to be getting any power to the rx ? I soldered the +/- to the sbus pads. I am assuming this is 5v +/-. then the yellow to the RX2 pad..

I also changed the uart port to 2, disabled 1 . but it will not stay ?

on top of that, to bind. I have to go to the CLI. type in "spektrum_sat_bind=9" it says unknown command

sure I have something wrong...crazy: rolleyes:
+/- go to power and ground, not sbus pads. Not sure what your RX needs as most DSMX RX's are 3.3v, but the one I used was 5v.

The command is "set spektrum_sat_bind=9"
Then "save"
Last edited by DesertClimber; Feb 25, 2019 at 04:49 PM.
Feb 25, 2019, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertClimber
+/- go to power and ground, not sbus pads. Not sure what your RX needs as most are 3.3v, but the one I used was 5v.

The command is "set spektrum_sat_bind=9"
Then "save"
man, thanks for the quick reply. I'll search for the other +/- pads.

the instructions to bind did Not read "set spektrum" that probably is where the bind process is wonky

and yeah 5v required

again thanks DesertClimber
Feb 25, 2019, 04:52 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
man, thanks for the quick reply. I'll search for the other +/- pads.

the instructions to bind did Not read "set spektrum" that probably is where the bind process is wonky

and yeah 5v required

again thanks DesertClimber
I don't have mine handy or I would look, but the 5v, ground, and RX2 pads I used weren't anywhere close to each other or even on the same side of the board! LOL

Good luck and post up when you get it flying!
Feb 27, 2019, 08:27 AM
I'll be doing this very soon with this RX. Thanks for this post. Just eagerly awaiting my TinyHawk to arrive.
Feb 27, 2019, 04:45 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr00ejr
I'll be doing this very soon with this RX. Thanks for this post. Just eagerly awaiting my TinyHawk to arrive.
I also bought the newbeedrone beeceiver and it's even smaller! No connector, etc, so it also shaves some weight.
Feb 27, 2019, 06:08 PM
I got mine powered up and flying. Binding was no problem . Thanks for the help DesertClimber
Feb 27, 2019, 06:12 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
I got mine powered up and flying. Binding was no problem . Thanks for the help DesertClimber
Awesome!

I'm looking into the "project mockingbird" setup, so we'll see if it flies even better!
Mar 01, 2019, 12:21 PM
I ended up installing one of the BetaFPV DMSX receivers in mine yesterday and it's working great. So far it's the smallest/lightest DSMX Rx that I've found.
Mar 01, 2019, 01:03 PM
My Longbow arrived last night and my TinyHawk should be waiting for me when I get home tonight. Time to take it apart and solder it back up. Hope it's not a hard process. Soldering is not my best skill.
Mar 01, 2019, 09:30 PM
Quote:
So it seems I did the same as you - SBUS 5v and -. So when you got yours working - what did you move it to?

Quick Reply