This thread is privately moderated by old4570, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 20, 2018, 08:00 PM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

XK A800 @ The Park ( 4 Days till Christmas )

Yes ! 4 Days till Christmas ( Xmas to some )

XK A800

I was really worried the controller would bit the big one , and it does bite the big one !
In a word it's a TOY Tx and nothing more .
I tried very hard to be smooth when flying the A800 and it was just not possible .
You have two speeds , very little and more . ( Stick input )

If you try to use a small amount of stick the turn radius is large and when you try to add a little more = Nothing happens !
Until you reach the point where you suddenly get maximum control input and the A800 literally jerks into a tighter manoeuvre . ( ?? )
It does make using the controller - less than rewarding .

What compounded the situation was probably the less than ideal flying conditions , was windy / gusty . And with trees around the turbulence was very noticeable , making keeping the A800 in the air challenging .

Now , Yes I did smack the ground a few times as the A800 seemed to want to do it's own thing . That flight stabilisation , I could not turn it off and some times when the wind got the model . It was very much guess work and pot luck as to what would happen .
I did mention I smacked the ground a few times , heck I even cart wheeled it across the park twice . The model itself is strong . How many models can cart wheel across a park and not be damaged ?

I was flying for about 20 minutes and then I got a little worried about the battery and thought it time to sashay on home . I did check the battery ( pictured ) and the battery checker say's 53% left . Ok thats not bad , but I did use the motor sparingly and I spent half the time flying the A800 as a pure glider . On a real slope , you may be able to slope the A800 .

What I like about the XK A800

1) It's strong
2) Auto stability works
3) decent flying time
4) ?

What I don't like about the XK A800

1) Tx is a toy
2) Control input is almost guess work ( Jerky )
3) The stability function , in windy conditions it seems to work against you
4) I could not turn of the stability
5) Large turn radius

In a large open space with really ideal flying conditions the A800 might satisfy .
I was both impressed and unimpressed .
Impressed by the model and very un impressed by the Tx ...

The only nagging question in my mind is , will it bind to another Tx ?
So that is what I will try next , maybe one of the XK transmitters I have from other models ( 110 or 251 )

Update
1) Protocol is not FUTABA
2) Protocol = KN / WLtoys
Last edited by old4570; Dec 21, 2018 at 07:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 20, 2018, 10:12 PM
Very nice plane...I'd not heard of this model, bu tI like its proportions.
Dec 20, 2018, 11:46 PM
Thread OP
I would be more tempted in hind sight by the offerings @ Hobbyking for under 1 meter motor gliders ..

So far I have not been able to bind the A800 to another Tx .. Hmmmmm .
Dec 21, 2018, 07:16 PM
Thread OP
SOme updates !

1) Protocol is not FUTABA
2) Protocol = KN / WLtoys

3) My elevator servo - The servo arm was not centred !
This meant I did not have nearly enough UP elevator . , This in hindsight might explain the un intentional landings ( kissing terra-firma )
I have corrected this situation ( I hope )
A800 is bound to my Jumper T12 ..
But looks like frequent rebinding may be needed as when the model is turned off for any length of time the bind might be lost . ( Had to rebind this morning )

Quick Reply