This thread is privately moderated by dbeach, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 13, 2019, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeach
F5J WC Juniors Prelim
Round: 7 Group: 3 Lane: 8
Hesselius, Dennis
Flight: 00:00 Lndg: 0
Landed out of bounds!
Dennis’s plane was specked out when the vertical fin had a structural failure possibly due to a midair. Jon took the transmitter and did his best to make a controlled descent. The plane is down with no damage except for the missing fin. A request for a re-flight is being made.
If anyone other than the pilot touches the transmitter during an official flight is grounds for DQ that flight---be very careful. If the jury got ahold of this you would not be happy.

Steve
to remove ads between posts
Aug 13, 2019, 11:27 AM
*Full Disclosure* Im a Gorilla
Holy cow!! Sounds like today was/is as brutal as the forecast suggested!! Too pilots took some hits but nothing is over!! Lots of rds to go and everybody has a ghost score in their closet! Fight boys FIGHT!!
Aug 13, 2019, 11:29 AM
Oleg Golovidov
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsoars
Top 10 Team Details
Note - these are NOT official. I am computing them from the Gliderscore data but they should be correct.
Updated the picture because excel hit 2 team scores...
Jim
My score of 997 is actually something like 950
They entered the best pilot’s (Andrey) score as 1:53 instead of 9:53. It will be corrected soon.
Andrey killed me (and others) twice today by launching ridiculously low for the conditions. 134 and 126 when all are launching to 180-200.
I flew well in difficult conditions but got mediocre scores
My round 6 flight was even worse as you saw
Nothing worked at all. Tried to join 5-6 other planes and never had any climb rate. Lucky for me 5:42 versus the best 6:42(?) is not as bad, 852 points for my round 6.
So we definitely lost some ground today...

Round 7 will go into very late evening, probably until 7:30
Jon and I will be in groups 6, 7 - last groups
Windy and no heat from the sun may make it even more difficult.
Aug 13, 2019, 11:36 AM
Oleg Golovidov
Random pics from today.
I have a 3-4 hours break between my last flight and my round 7 flight...
The juniors did not want me to time in this round so I have nothing to do for a while
Aug 13, 2019, 11:36 AM
Steve,

Does Part 5.5.11.7.c) apply if he is getting a re-flight and his first attempt is not counted due to the mid-air?
Aug 13, 2019, 11:46 AM
Thread OP
F5J WC Seniors Prelim
Round: 7 Group: 3 Lane: 16
Start: 18:14
Raver, Skyler
Flight: 09:58 Lndg: 35 Height: 213
Had to go to plan B. Lane 3 has a good view of a “slopeworthy” treeline and Skyler spent 4 minutes there. Apparently that was his first slope experience.
Aug 13, 2019, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreisinger
Steve,

Does Part 5.5.11.7.c) apply if he is getting a re-flight and his first attempt is not counted due to the mid-air?
Who knows for sure what the jury would decide---but in the WC contests I have been to I have NEVER seen a transmitter handed off to another pilot. It is in the "unthinkable" zone. The only exception I could think might make sense is if the pilot became impaired in some way that made safe control of the plane impossible.

If they allow the reflight and no protest is filed then then feel very very lucky!

Steve
Aug 13, 2019, 11:53 AM
I think for Juniors the organizers will be open to helping models land safely. If Dennis podiums I would assume the next competitor will protest otherwise I think what’s done is done. If it was seniors I would imagine the outcome would be different.
Aug 13, 2019, 12:04 PM
Probably best not to speculate on RC groups.
Aug 13, 2019, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiesling
Probably best not to speculate on RC groups.
Advice taken---and it might be smart for the TM to not post all the details of the problems that occur If I picked it up ---others might also.

Steve
Aug 13, 2019, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwjoon
I think for Juniors the organizers will be open to helping models land safely. If Dennis podiums I would assume the next competitor will protest otherwise I think what’s done is done. If it was seniors I would imagine the outcome would be different.
Difficult situation, but I think as it was only to save the model the jury might not DQ him if someone protests. Time will tell.

Many years ago i was flying pattern and was tied in a 2 way fight for a win. My opponent was having difficulty with one maneuver, low and behold on the last, deciding, flight his caller took the transmitter and did the maneuver for him. I protested! The jury decided that his flight would not count but he was allowed a re-flight, there are normally no re-flights in pattern.

I was not happy and did not fly pattern for a while after that....
Aug 13, 2019, 03:11 PM
Well, it’s out there now.

I have timed for Dennis on numerous occasions on the lead-up to the World Championships. I know him to be an outstanding and thoughtful young man of extremely high intellect and integrity. I can think of none better to represent the US and the entire world of r/c soaring for that matter.

In that vein, Dennis is also well aware of his relatively low experience level, that he is flying around a large number of people with numerous spectators and at an active airport with surrounding communities nearby. I guarantee that Dennis knew there would be consequences to relinquishing his transmitter but he elected to do so anyway in the interest of safety.

There is a difference between our Senior and Junior Pilots. We WANT our Juniors and the inexperienced members of our little, tiny, beleaguered, niche hobby to exercise this kind of outstanding judgement.

I’ve instructed many many full scale pilots in everything from the F-15 Eagle to the Boeing 737. I can tell you with certainty that the World’s greatest pilots understand their limitations at any given time and work within those boundaries.

Sometimes you have to do the right thing. I’m proud of Dennis.

Reid Roberts
Rocky Mountain Soaring Assn.
Aug 13, 2019, 03:34 PM
Red Merle SJ VIII
Integrity. Yes exactly!
I know Jon has excellent integrity too. He was raised right.
It is what it is, the jury will decide and these fine young men will accept it, learn from it and move on.

My thought is that when it was decided that they had a midair and wanted a reflight that at that time the flight was over as you’re required to come in and land. So who flew it to a landing is a moot point.

Proud of the entire team, which includes the manager who are representing the USA.

Curtis
Aug 13, 2019, 05:07 PM
Curtis
It is not a question of integrity, but rather a question of knowing the rules. Having flown a few European Contests, I would be very surprised if the CD allows for any leniency. The rules are completely clear.
The Competitors and the Team Captain need to be well versed on the rules. L
Aug 13, 2019, 05:27 PM
Red Merle SJ VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly
Curtis
It is not a question of integrity, but rather a question of knowing the rules. Having flown a few European Contests, I would be very surprised if the CD allows for any leniency. The rules are completely clear.
The Competitors and the Team Captain need to be well versed on the rules. L
Here’s my definition of integrity, not sure what Webster says.
“Doing the right thing whether someone is watching or not.”
So divulging that Jon took over was the right thing and the pieces will fall where they fall.

Curtis

Quick Reply