Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

RCG Place of the Month - Hog Heaven Hobbies

This month's featured Place is Hog Heaven Hobbies located in Sturbridge, MA. This place was recommended by Tom Rocheleau, District 1 AVP who took the time to visit the shop, take some photos and write a report for us.

Splash

RCGroups December Place of the Month

Every month we like to feature a group from our Places page. There are literally thousands of Places listed, pointing out sites like flying fields, hobby shops, race tracks and boat ponds all over the world. The RC Map is a great way to find a new place near you and meet some new friends.

This month's featured Place is Hog Heaven Hobbies located in Sturbridge, MA. This place was recommended by Tom Rocheleau, District 1 AVP who took the time to visit the shop, take some photos and write a report for us. Here is Tom's write up:

"One of New England’s oldest and best hobby shops is located in the quant town of Sturbridge. The owner is John Glennon who recently celebrated over 25 years in business. John is what you can call “aviation fixated”. John retired from active duty in the Air Force where he served as an A-10 pilot. That’s where the shop’s name came from. After retiring he opened the shop with his wife and continued to fly commercial aircraft. John has also owned several full scale aircraft including RV aircraft as well as his current airplane, a Grumman AA5 Traveler which he generously uses to fly children on EAA Young Eagle Days.

Hog Heaven is a full service hobby shop catering to all things RC, as well as plastic model aircraft kits and newer anime figures. John is a lifetime modeler and generously supports many local AMA clubs in the Massachusetts and Connecticut areas. If an item isn't in stock it can be ordered and in stock within days. Stop by and say hello to John and his helpful staff. "

Check out the Hog Heaven Hobbies Places Page

Dec 19, 2018, 10:56 AM
Kit Manufacturer
This is my local hobby shop. I've known John and Jean since they first started and they have a well stocked shop and a great helpful staff. If you ever end up in the Central Massachusetts area, this is a destination. Even if they don't have it in stock, they can get it in in a few days. ARFs, kits, rockets, trains, cars... They have an awesome selection. I'm betting you won't walk out empty handed. I know I never do!
Dec 19, 2018, 12:10 PM
So many planes, so little time
I'll second the recommendation - great shop, well-stocked. It's about a 25 - 30 minute trip for me, but I always stop by when in the area. Since RC Buyers Warehouse in Nashua closed last year, this has become the best source for everything RC that I need.
Dec 19, 2018, 03:04 PM
AeroDan
Nice looking shop. My wife & I would love to visit Boston someday for some GOOD clam chowder, tour the “U.S.S. Constitution”, and see the “Cheers” bar.
Dec 20, 2018, 06:33 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell47G2
Nice looking shop. My wife & I would love to visit Boston someday for some GOOD clam chowder, tour the “U.S.S. Constitution”, and see the “Cheers” bar.
The shop is in central Massachusetts, about 60 miles west of Boston along I-90/MassPike but it does have good highway access to I-90 Exit 9 and the I-84 interchange
Dec 20, 2018, 07:55 AM
100% electric since 1990
Good place, well stocked for both 'ready to fly' products as well as nitty gritty stuff for builders. I usually come to pick up an ARF but also buy glue, fiberglass, tools, etc for my long term projects.
Dec 20, 2018, 08:13 AM
This place is a throw back to old school hobby shops. Need a part to finish that project. They have it. Need a part to repair that heli you purchased there? They most likely stock it. Walls of inventory that is right in front of you ready to be held in your hand as you walk to the front to pay for it and take it home with you. These type of shops aren't about "making bank bro". They are in it for the same reason we visit them. They are passionate about the hobby and providing a service that is worth keeping by spending our time and money and keeping it in our local economy.

I remember when the UMX A10 was announced. Seeing the smile on the owner John's face as he talked about how badly he, an actual pilot of the full scale aircraft, wanted one. That's what this hobby is all about!
Dec 20, 2018, 04:37 PM
AeroDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr
This place is a throw back to old school hobby shops. Need a part to finish that project. They have it. Need a part to repair that heli you purchased there? They most likely stock it. Walls of inventory that is right in front of you ready to be held in your hand as you walk to the front to pay for it and take it home with you. These type of shops aren't about "making bank bro". They are in it for the same reason we visit them. They are passionate about the hobby and providing a service that is worth keeping by spending our time and money and keeping it in our local economy.

I remember when the UMX A10 was announced. Seeing the smile on the owner John's face as he talked about how badly he, an actual pilot of the full scale aircraft, wanted one. That's what this hobby is all about!
I think you nailed it!!!
Dec 20, 2018, 09:11 PM
Sippin' on Kool Aid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr

There used to be a shop about 45 minutes drive from me that was like that. He had it, and if he didnt, it was there in 2 days. The owner unfortunately passed away. I missed that place.
Dec 21, 2018, 12:10 AM
AeroDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by heligrom
There used to be a shop about 45 minutes drive from me that was like that. He had it, and if he didnt, it was there in 2 days. The owner unfortunately passed away. I missed that place.
I hear you.
Jan 04, 2019, 10:57 PM
One of the best hobby shops in the USA. John carries a fantastic inventory that a lot of small businesses can't afford to do these days. You can go there with confidence knowing that your journey wasn't wasted.

Hog Heaven is also favorite of the control line community, renown for a great supply of control line equipment, wide selection of fuels, plugs, props and everything you need to keep in the air. Well worth a visit if you are out of state and heading east/west on I-90.
Jan 05, 2019, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman
The shop is in central Massachusetts, about 60 miles west of Boston along I-90/MassPike but it does have good highway access to I-90 Exit 9 and the I-84 interchange
-How far is the shop from Pittsfield?
Jan 05, 2019, 04:56 PM
So many planes, so little time
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan
-How far is the shop from Pittsfield?
According to my good friend, Google Maps, it's about 83.3 miles from Pittsfield - about an hour and a half drive.

Jan 05, 2019, 09:29 PM
IDIDNTFEELATHING

Nice!!

I would kill to have a hobby shop of that caliber in my town!! or heck even within 50 miles of it!!
Jan 06, 2019, 07:17 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMA82
According to my good friend, Google Maps, it's about 83.3 miles from Pittsfield - about an hour and a half drive.

Yeah, I'm 10 minutes from the shop and I can hit the NY border on the Mass Pike in 90 minutes so about that. The shop is 5 minutes off Exit 9

Quick Reply