This thread is privately moderated by scousethief, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 18, 2018, 03:23 PM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Thread OP
Mini-Review

XK A800 4CH 780mm 3D6G System RC Glider Airplane Compatible Futaba RTF

Buy from whichever vendor has the lowest price. Prices are correct at the time of posting

https://www.banggood.com/XK-A800-4CH-780mm-3D6G-System-RC-Glider-Airplane-Compatible-Futaba-RTF-p-1286778.html $55.95

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/XK-A800-2-4G-5CH-EPO-Wingspan-3D-6G-System-RC-Glider-Airplane-RTF-408818.html $53.99

This will be a minor review of the XK A800 mini 4ch "warm liner" stabilised glider, it is worth noting that XK is a branch of WLToys and so during the review i will make some comments regarding the similarities or differences between the two manufacturers .
WLToys are of course a relatively well known brand to most of us and they produced the forerunner to the A800 in the form of the WLToys F959, the F959 was a little limited by its use of only Rudder, Elevator and Throttle but was still quite a nice little summer afternoon time burner for many of us and the availability of low cost spares meant it fit into the purpose of being an easy trainer very nicely. There are many differences between the A800 and F959 but fundamentally they are aimed at the same market with the A800 having a more modern feature in the form of stabilisation.

Description:
Brand name: XK
Item number: A800
Wingspan: 780mm
Length: 530mm
Height: 133mm
Material: EPO
Flying weight: about 110g
Motor: N60 iron core
Battery: 7.4v 300mAh
Flying time: about 20 minutes
Charge time: about 40 minutes
Transmitter mode: 2.4G
Transmitter range: about 200 meters

Features:
* Detachable wing structure with reinforced carbon Rod,easy to carry.
* 3D6G stabilization and reasonable aerodynamic layout make flying is very stable, beginners also can fly easily.
* 3D 6G mode can be converted easily.
* 3D lock mode is improve posture and increase stability.Even primary level can fly it as an expert.6G mode kepp stabilization, which keep the airplane stable flying pose when you looese the transmitter in any case.
* High-capacity large-rate 7.4V Li-po battery, flight time more than 10 minutes.
* The aircraft is quick installation and replacement structure, easy to carry.
* You can choose 720P/ 1080P HD, 30 frames / 200-400 million pixels HD camera, 5G WIFI VTX.

A nice manual speaks more than a thousand words, it shows that the manufacturer has some interest invested in the model.

A pretty standard 2S charger but with a USB power source. The batteries are only 300mah so a USB port should be more than capable of performing the intended job.

Everything is nicely packed away and there was no damage whatsoever to the glider . One of things that always seems to receive some bending is the wing panels but these are stored safely in their well.

The main body of the A800 is a tidy little number, two of the A800's four servos are attached to the main receiver board and these control the Rudder and Elevator via pre-installed pushrods. The two aileron servos are pre-installed in the wings and attach to the main receiver by extensions.

Side shot showing the removable canopy for battery access , the aileron extensions and the clevis for the rudder.

Elevator , nice and simple with installed control horn, you can just about see the locating nub and the bolt hole which are used to attach the horizontal and vertical stabilisers.

Both wing panels come with pre-installed servos and control linkages, the hinges are simply molded into the wing and should perform as expected. The snow flake pattern is a little annoying now.

The main wing is a two piece setup with each wing having the counterparts of the locking system, this is a nice simple system that should be perfectly reliable.

Locked into place the wing feels nice and solid.

Aileron servo and its linkages

Connecting the horizontal and vertical stabiliser and locking them in place is a simple matter of placing the horizontal stab in place and then installing the vertical stab, you then insert a small bolt to lock them in place. you can of course -just by bringing a small screwdriver - now break the A800 back down in to its boxed parts which is a bonus. No more worrying about snagging the wing or bending one of the control surfaces.

Rear end all in place.

Everything together and ready to go, from box to built quite literally takes 60 seconds ( even less)

Last edited by scousethief; Dec 24, 2018 at 04:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 25, 2018, 12:01 AM
I got one for myself ..

Protocol = KN / WLtoys

I did fly it on the factory Tx and ?
I found a elevator servo alignment issue , I had very little up ..
Might explain me tumbling the A800 across the park a few times .

Next I will try it on the Jumper T12 ..
Jumper seems to offer better control - will see after I park it .
Dec 25, 2018, 09:49 AM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Thread OP
When bound to the provided TX it looks like the servo movement even when on High is actually only about 50-75% of its full throw, probably enough for some mild acro but i want something a little more aggressive

Bound to my T12 the aileron and rudder seem to have enough throw but the elevator is only maybe 5-6mm, will need to change that, and when the spare RX arrives i will look at going brushless--- but i have a feeling that you will have already gone brushless before the spare arrives lol

Merry Christmas
Dec 25, 2018, 04:44 PM
No plans for brushless at this time ..
Hobbyking = Super Kinetic Sport Glider 815mm

When HK puts the Super Kinetic on special , it's on my shopping list .

I flew the A800 full throttle and it does have giddy-up , the day I flew was windy so 50% throttle was a little challenging due to the wind .
I found my servo control arm for the elevator to be poorly placed resulting in very little up .
Changed this , and now have close to even up and down on the elevator .

Ch5 seems to give a little more throw on the T12 ( 2 position switch ) . I havent played any more with the A800 .
So many projects .

Trying to finish another micro DLG ( Ripit Rev2 ) ..

Must try a 3 position switch for Ch5 and see what happens , and then the stability ?
Ch6 ? Possibly ?
Dec 26, 2018, 07:58 AM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Thread OP
The T12 definitely has more "steps" in the gimbal and i have a lot more throw on the T12 now than on the original tx, i have channels 5 and 6 mapped to the 2 position switches on the T12, one is dual rates and one is normal or Gyro on. There is no communication fed back to the transmitter in the form of battery voltage etc so no telemetry or hidden features to be gained.
Dec 26, 2018, 09:43 AM
Hmmm , Try Ch8 for gyro ...

On my T12 Ch6 did nothing ..

But Ch8 ? . I get down elevator with gyro in, 3D is it ?
Dec 26, 2018, 01:53 PM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Thread OP
Yeah channel seems to do nothing, i will work through the channels later, but it does pose another question, if channels 5 and 8 ( as an example) are used then what is on channels 6 and 7 , it doesnt make sense to just jump channels for no real reason.
Dec 26, 2018, 05:48 PM
????????????

I have gone thru them and , it looks like 5 and 8 do something ..
I wonder if I need to go higher ? Ch9 - Ch10
Gona be a hot hot day today , so might play some more with the XK A800 and Tx settings .
Don't feel like going out into the toaster oven !
Dec 26, 2018, 10:55 PM
Pulled my wing off again !

The control board is moving when I use the elevator ...
???? Is something binding the elevator control rod ? so as to push the control board ?

Maybe a squirt of cyno is needed
Dec 27, 2018, 10:15 AM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Thread OP
CH1 is Elevator
CH2 is Aileron
Ch3 is throttle and also activates the stabilization
CH4 is rudder
CH5 is dual rates
CH6 appears to do nothing
CH7 in the third position alters the elevator
CH8 does nothing
CH9 does nothing
Ch10 does something, i have it on a 3 pos and each position adjusts the ailerons to set positions
CH11 on a slider/dial adjusts the pitch trim

There is some rudder/aileron mixing that appears at certain switch points. With CH7 set to switch B the DOWN position stops the Rudder/Aileron mix and lowers the Rates to similar to low rates.
Last edited by scousethief; Dec 27, 2018 at 10:41 AM.
Dec 27, 2018, 09:57 PM
I get mixing as standard , Aileron / Rudder ...

CH8 turns off auto stability as long as you push the sticks ( input commands )

Activate Ch8 and roll the A800 ...
Normally your Ailerons should snap in opposite directions as you roll the A800 .
Ch8 seems to give you 3D

But I also have the problems of instant down elevator when using Ch8 ( Oh dear )
Jan 02, 2019, 09:35 AM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Thread OP
Yeah its CH10 on mine that seems to be a 3 position switch which alters the ailerons ( a negative value which lowers the left aileron and raises the right, a Zero value which brings the ailerons back to level and a positive value is the opposite of the negative )

I have installed the second receiver into the WLToys F959 and the results as expected are exactly the same.
Mar 11, 2019, 11:48 AM
Hi Scousethief, I have just bought one of these and wanted to ask if you could recommend a 6ch Hobby grade Tx that I could use with the A800 and also buy a compatible Rx for another scratch build project. Ideally I would like to fly this and the foamie project plane on the same Tx. I will just say this is my first plane so I am just at the beginning of my adventure so any advice would be greatly appreciated, many thanks. Daz.
Mar 11, 2019, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDazNinja
Hi Scousethief, I have just bought one of these and wanted to ask if you could recommend a 6ch Hobby grade Tx that I could use with the A800 and also buy a compatible Rx for another scratch build project. Ideally I would like to fly this and the foamie project plane on the same Tx. I will just say this is my first plane so I am just at the beginning of my adventure so any advice would be greatly appreciated, many thanks. Daz.
You need MULTI-protocol .. iRangeX modules , or possibly Jumper Tx or Module ..
Tx would be something that can run OpenTx .. Deviation is the other option ...

If you can find a Turnigy 9XR pro , 9XR , Taranis , for OpenTx

Or visit DeviationTx.com , for some Deviation info ..
OpenTx = https://www.open-tx.org/
Mar 29, 2019, 10:32 AM
Would you know if the FlySky FS-i6 with the iRangeX iRX6 module would work? or would I have to go for the bigger 4-in-1 modules for the transmitters with the removable modules like the ones you have suggested??

Quick Reply