Dec 18, 2018, 01:49 PM
The runway used to be longer
Thread OP
Build Log

25 size Corkscrew

Hi guys:

I love glow engines and got inspired by the thread on RCGroups about an ideal plane for a 25. I have a few 19/20 engines but only one 25 and have never matched it to an airframe.
Inspirational thread is here.

A couple guys were keen on the Corkscrew.
It seemed ideal to me. I picked it because I don't want to bite off too much so liked the 'no wing sheeting', dowel leading edge, rectangular flat bottomed wing, no plastic canopy, exposed fuel tank because I like to see how much is left, and a short kit is easily available from BalsaWorkbench.

I'm logging this build in the hopes that it will inspire others to jump in and build something rather than buy something. It's an ideal size for electric too so don't let the slime discourage you.

So, I found the Corkscrew on the Balsa Workbench site first, then looked on Outerzone for the plans. If you do this the other way round you will find that there are far more plans available than short kits.

Balsa Workbench site is here.
Rob Reynolds is a very easy guy to deal with and his site is full of interesting and useful information on building Balsa airplanes. Well worth a visit.

A link to the Corkscrew plan on the Outerzone site is here.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 18, 2018, 02:10 PM
Thread OP
It took 3 tries by 2 different print shops to get an actual size print of the plans.
I ended up with a 2' x 3' print to leave on the wall as well as a wonky large print to take to our club meeting.

I was surprised at the enthusiasm from the veteran builders in our club! Richard offered me a fuel tank and any balsa I might need, Tim stopped by with a building board top, and Laurie has made the Spruce 3/16" x 1/2" x 24" spar parts for me.
This short kit has got quite a bit longer.
Dec 18, 2018, 02:27 PM
A man with a plan
Thanks for the plug. I appreciate it. And it's always nice to see people building. That's at least half the fun, as far as I'm concerned.

I'll be eager for a review of the flying characteristics. I have a flying buddy who is a very good pilot, and my son has gotten to the point where he takes off, flies, and lands without me worrying about it. He's actually a pretty good pilot now. I happen to have three OS 25 SF engines that need something to do. I thought it would be fun to build three of the same thing, and the Corkscrew seems cheap and easy enough. It would be cool to fly them in formation.

If your project stalls, I'll be bugging you to finish so you can tell me how good the plane is. But I suppose a Canadian can't be expected to give much of a flight report in the middle of winter...
Dec 18, 2018, 04:13 PM
Thread OP
Don't underestimate us Canucks.
My record is flying in -31C with an electric, I had to wrap one of the servos because it got too slow.
I fly wheels off ice but probably won't be doing a maiden, ice doesn't help with a poor landing like grass does.

I'm not fast at building, I tend to make things more complicated than necessary.
But as you say, building is fun, really fun.

Determination (1 min 52 sec)
Dec 18, 2018, 05:06 PM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Mike
It took 3 tries by 2 different print shops to get an actual size print of the plans.
I ended up with a 2' x 3' print to leave on the wall as well as a wonky large print to take to our club meeting.
Next time, get a hold of "Hemikiller" here on RCGroups. He prints out plans and every plan I've received has been spot on. He ships fast and his prices are very reasonable. Much better than I've gotten at a FedEx store. He can enlarge or reduce as well.

Back to the topic... I'm subscribing to this build. I love the Corkscrew. I lost track of the other thread and didn't realize the Corkscrew had come up. I built the 80" one several years ago and regretted selling it. But the guy really wanted it and he was a good friend so... I submitted the plan Outerzone has as I still have the original I bought from RCM.

Good luck on the build. I've got a couple .25's not being used at the moment and If I didn't have so many irons in the fire, I'd join you. I also have an older OS .35-S that I bet that would work well. I've seen these .25 size Corkscrews with BB .25s and they handle them well.

Mike
Dec 18, 2018, 05:11 PM
When I was growing up, we did not even have alkaline cells, I think that we had zinc carbon. Grew up in Wisconsin which has cold winters. Our limit was +32 F back then. My how technology has changed. -25.6 F is mighty cold.

What are you using for batteries? Thanks.

Gene
Dec 18, 2018, 05:35 PM
A man with a plan
Quote:
Don't underestimate us Canucks.
My record is flying in -31C with an electric, I had to wrap one of the servos because it got too slow.
I fly wheels off ice but probably won't be doing a maiden, ice doesn't help with a poor landing like grass does.

I'm not fast at building, I tend to make things more complicated than necessary.
But as you say, building is fun, really fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkKtGsn4AJ8
Wow, that looks really cold. We sometimes fly when it's in the 20s. But we can usually wait a few days for good weather, so there's not much incentive to go out when it's really cold. It was 61 degrees here today, but you probably didn't want to hear that.
Dec 18, 2018, 06:08 PM
Slopin Eh!
I'll be watching this one! I love my 75% electric version and I know you'll love this one! Nice to see another fellow canuck building a screw.

Darren
Dec 18, 2018, 06:25 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchopper56
When I was growing up, we did not even have alkaline cells, I think that we had zinc carbon. Grew up in Wisconsin which has cold winters. Our limit was +32 F back then. My how technology has changed. -25.6 F is mighty cold.

What are you using for batteries? Thanks.

Gene
The plane I flew at -31C was a Bix3 and the battery is "inside" the foam plane so as long as it is warm when you start it will be fine and will come out of the plane at the end of the flight a little warmer. There is no issue flying LiPo planes in the cold as long as the battery is kept in an inside pocket until you put it in.

I use LiFe batteries in my fuel planes and they are more carefully looked after because they don't tend to get warm under the light loads they have to supply.
I seldom fly glow planes below -10C for various reasons, including battery issues.
Dec 18, 2018, 06:30 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsaworkbench
Wow, that looks really cold. We sometimes fly when it's in the 20s. But we can usually wait a few days for good weather, so there's not much incentive to go out when it's really cold. It was 61 degrees here today, but you probably didn't want to hear that.
Ain't nuthin' wrong with cold.
My best winter is get cold and stay cold for 10 weeks.
This one is a bit odd already, we have snow from early November which has not yet gone away, but Thursday promises +7C.
Dec 18, 2018, 06:44 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CryHavoc
I've seen these .25 size Corkscrews with BB .25s and they handle them well.

Mike
Engine will be a Thunder Tiger Pro 25.
It will show up in pics later on.
Right now I'm trying to figger out how to glue all this wood together without having it come out less pretty than it was to start with.
Dec 18, 2018, 07:15 PM
I remember when it came out in rcm mag. Although i never have seen one it always looked like an interesting plane. Ill be following along .
Dec 19, 2018, 09:41 AM
Thread OP
Finally got up the nerve to glue something.
Top and bottom fuselage sides are cut separately maybe to save wood or avoid warp - not sure.
There's no step 1,2,3 with a short kit so just press on regardless.

I would have used Monokote backing over the plans but don't have any right now so waxed paper it is. I got that tip from here, lots more on that page.

I tried PVA for the first time, the test I did was great but we'll see.

If you guys see me doing something wrong, please say so even it's too late. I'm here to learn.
Dec 19, 2018, 12:09 PM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Quote:
Finally got up the nerve to glue something.

If you guys see me doing something wrong, please say so even it's too late. I'm here to learn.
Just remember to build a left and a right side. It happens more often than you think to even experienced builders. Once the fuse sides have all their doublers and other things glued on you start to put the formers in. But the fuse sides MUST be mirror images of each other. I always mark the inside of each fuse piece to help remind me.

Mike
Dec 19, 2018, 01:14 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Mike.
I'm just glueing the last tripler on.
I was paranoid about getting the sides correct and didn't screw it up.

Good idea about marking the parts, I didn't think of that. When I do think of it, I usually mark the bottom of something "Other side up" because if you mark the top "This side up" you might never see it.
Got that tip from Click & Clack, the tappet brothers.

Quick Reply