This thread is privately moderated by BDOG1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 17, 2018, 08:57 PM
Held by Grace
Thread OP
Discussion

Back on the hill

I was able to get back out on our hill today for 3 hours of sloping in reasonable 37 degree temperatures and 20 mph wind .

I brought out my GEMS ODR ,last time out {maiden} I had a range problem with the Lemon receiver so I changed it out with another.
Today"s flights went well, I played around with the CG and finished up back at the recommended 2"from the LE .

Next up was the maiden of a 60"mini Blade carbon I just picked up used off of RCG, weighing in at 43 oz auw I had no idea what to expect from it in our changeable bumpy air and I had not flown a 60" that heavy before on our hill.
She launched out like she was on rails , bridged the lumpy air and gusts, did pumps, paper clip turns and a couple of fast passes close to the top of the hill making that sound...Wow now I see why guy's spend what they do to buy these molded ships.
Unfortunately I had a couple of servo issues as the flight progressed, The right aileron servo stopped centering and was hunting up and down around a 1/16 each way{I confirmed this once I had landed}.
At first I thought it was just the wind gusts,but as i flew passes back and forth it didn't matter the direction it always dropped the right side ...not a big deal I just stayed on the aileron stick... like you do when its gusting.
I probably should have landed at that point but I was having to much fun flying it and finding out what it could do .
A bit later it started to drop the nose like you stalled it , and the wind was gusty but I was carrying good speed and a touch of up elevator brought it right back up. oscillating
Ok time to get her back on the ground.
As I started to set up a pass for landing she dropped the nose before I could catch it and landed into a scrub bush with some leading edge damage.

I love the way this plane flys so a little repair/refurb will be well worth it

I Will be replacing the Hitec MG 125s that are currently in the wings and the elevator servo a Multiplex Polo digi 4
{ a side note- I flew powered combat back in the late 90's and the Hitec servo's were every ones first choice, not any more it's a shame they have fallen so far from the great products and service they used to provide}

I can see that as I have progressed into better airframes I need to start using some better servos, I am thinking about trying some KST's from Aloft.

I finished the afternoon by flying My Knife Edge combat wing around a hour until dark .
Great To Get Out !
Last edited by BDOG1; Dec 17, 2018 at 09:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply