Jan 05, 2005, 07:27 PM
Thread OP

A-6 Intruder Depron park jet?

Now I have my F-4 ready to maiden when the Seattle weather, job demands and daylight all converge, I'm playing with a layout of an A-6 similar to Steve's F-18 and F-15. Roughly 36 in wing span, 260 sq in area, pusher layout.
I was wondering if there is enough interest for me to start a thread on progress, and keep track of the parts as I build them.
I would also like to know if anyone has already started on an A-6 design so I don't need to do my own.

Ivor
to remove ads between posts
Jan 05, 2005, 09:22 PM
Ivor,
I've been following this site for many years and there always seems to be great interest in the A6. Certainly a beautiful aircraft. Getting it to look right (very rounded) maybe difficult, but I'm sure people will follow with great interest if you post a thread.
Jan 05, 2005, 09:39 PM
I agree! I would love to see a build on this aircraft!
Jan 05, 2005, 10:26 PM
Thread OP
I'll start sketching out the general details this week and see if I can cut foam next week. I have been playing with getting round shapes out of depron, and there is a real A-6 in the MoF to study whenever I need to get to details. I can always consult with the master (Steve) as well.
I'll post progess notes as I go.

Ivor
Jan 05, 2005, 10:40 PM
Park Jet Guru
Sounds like a great idea to me, too. I'd love to see an A-6 park jet! The rounded shaping of the A-6 would be a bit more challenging to do right (compared to the rather boxy F-18 or F-15), but is certainly doable. Where to put the motor might be the biggest challenge. Putting it aft would make the model really hard to balance, but while a nose-mounted motor would probably work better for an A-6, to me it ain't a jet if the motor's in the front....

Go for it!

Steve
Jan 06, 2005, 06:10 AM
TOPDOG
I would love to see a A-6
Jan 06, 2005, 12:48 PM
Oh please, I am begging you to build an Intruder; it would be even cooler if you built the Prowler (the extended nose electronic warfare version). Hint, hint....

Maybe regular block of foam , hollowed out, sanded and rounded as needed at the nose? Just thinking out loud.
Jan 06, 2005, 01:30 PM
Thread OP
Well, I have to work sometime this week, but next week I should be able to do something. So far I have the three view drawn so I can think about hoe to build it. The fuselage looks like it can be done as a typical Steve box but with a lot more rounding on the corners. I know how to do this. The nose has to be foam or a lot of depron layers. I have looked at making the nose removeable to get access for batttery etc instead of down through the cockpit area.
As far as the Prowler is concerned, I think that has to be the second version, but a relatively simple nose job.
I'll post what I've managed to get done in the middle of next week.
Ivor
Jan 06, 2005, 01:35 PM
Ya know, being from Seattle you should build an EA-6B prowler, since we are only 1 1/2 hrs north of you on Whidbey Island. I could give you a personal tour of a real prowler, only if you promise to build me one of course

Kyle
Jan 06, 2005, 02:19 PM
Semper Fi, Do or Die
Setting up a pusher CG will be a real challenge. The real A6-A would settle on its tail when all of the APQ-92 and APQ-112 antennas, mounts, and boxes were removed from the radome. We had to drop the tailhook before removing all the radar equipment from a bird going into check to keep it from settling. We then had to bolt steel plates to the radar hard points so that the airframe could be towed around.

6234 A6-As
Bob

P.S. Ivor- I'd hold out for a seat card and a free ride.
Last edited by kscbob1; Jan 06, 2005 at 02:27 PM.
Jan 06, 2005, 03:45 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
I would love to see a Prowler or A-6...

I have this... sitting atop my monitor.
Last edited by Tram; Jan 06, 2005 at 03:51 PM.
Jan 07, 2005, 02:04 AM
Flying motor mount master

How about...

Here is my build....

Heck might even start selling some of these...

fb99
Jan 07, 2005, 03:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_boy99
Here is my build....

Heck might even start selling some of these...

fb99

Isn't this the Interactive toy's A-6 2 Ch RTF?
Way underpowered stock.

Are you trying to do conversion? Essentially the same plane as the Hobbico free flight A6 but with a two blade impeller instead of 4 blade.

My thought would be either to use stronger battery on the stock motor or ditch the stock fan altogether and slaps two EDF40s at the back. Fits nicely and more "scale" as the real A-6 is a twin.
Jan 07, 2005, 02:42 PM
Flying motor mount master
Yep but here's my thought. Go 3 Channel and take out the
stock motor pushing the 4 blades and replace it with a J250
and use a 480 TP pack or maybe the 340HD kokam.

I'll post more pics when I'm done modding.

fb99

Quote:
Originally Posted by shschon
Isn't this the Interactive toy's A-6 2 Ch RTF?
Way underpowered stock.

Are you trying to do conversion? Essentially the same plane as the Hobbico free flight A6 but with a two blade impeller instead of 4 blade.

My thought would be either to use stronger battery on the stock motor or ditch the stock fan altogether and slaps two EDF40s at the back. Fits nicely and more "scale" as the real A-6 is a twin.
Jan 08, 2005, 12:20 AM
Semper Fi, Do or Die
Here's some A6s Tram

Quick Reply