Jun 18, 2019, 02:09 PM
Klutzsquatch

Works of Art

I believe they were described as WOA (Works of Art). All hand made. Soon to be in a museum near you! The likes of Degas, Picasso, Van Gogh.....hahaha
to remove ads between posts
Jun 18, 2019, 02:10 PM

Balsa flyers 2019

Jim, you did a wonderful job stepping up to run the Woodcrafters/ Balsa Flyers contest for 2019. Everyone had fun and it ran as smooth as could be expected. Good Job & Thanks for your expertise. Bill Grenoble
Jun 18, 2019, 09:51 PM
Balsa dust maker
Jim-
The score cards were fantastic. It would be nice to see those stay for future use
Jun 19, 2019, 07:24 AM
3RN13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va123
Ernie,

Actually I ended up hand making each scorecard of my own design. As there were numerous events, I used different color cards for each event and a clear plastic holder (with contestants’ names) to hold all the contestant’s cards. The guys were great turning them in at the end of each day - making scorekeeping easier.

Jim V
Cool

Ernie
Jul 10, 2019, 12:44 PM
3RN13

Future Balsa Flyer (Woodcrafter) events

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va123

I believe as a group, we may be much better served to hold this event in mid- late September or first weekend in October. Over the years we have been 50 -50 at best during late May, early June.

On another note, I was very happy to host this year’s event. I did not want to see it fade away and end. However, as I told some of the guys at the field, logistically from Oriental North Carolina, it is quite a challenge and is not doable in future years ( until I retire in 6 1/2 years). I have built a “Brain Book” on how to put on the event - something I wish I had when I volunteered...... so now there is written corporate knowledge. I encourage you to talk amongst yourselves and consider how this event might be continued for the Fall of 2020? The first decision point is the Date and field number which should be applied for in October of this year.

Again, super fun with a great group of guys -

Jim V
Howdy Guys

I see no response to Jim's post letting us know he can't CD in the next few years, I have seen no discussion, no current CD's have jumped up to volunteer. Do we have any forward movement on this project?

Ernie
Jul 10, 2019, 02:23 PM
why does it have to be a contest? why not just a weekend fun fly where we can get together and see others peoples creations and meet new friends?
Jul 10, 2019, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie b
Howdy Guys

I see no response to Jim's post letting us know he can't CD in the next few years, I have seen no discussion, no current CD's have jumped up to volunteer. Do we have any forward movement on this project?

Ernie
Ernie, you would do a great job as the CD. I will help you! I plan on attending next year
Jul 10, 2019, 04:06 PM
The King Moonracer of balsa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gratter
why does it have to be a contest? why not just a weekend fun fly where we can get together and see others peoples creations and meet new friends?
Historically WoodCrafters has been both a contest and a fun fly, that has been part of its magic. If you wanted to simply show up and fly with everyone at the field you could. If you wanted to participate in any or all of the formal events, like the mini hi-start, longest flight or ladder event you were welcome to do so. I would imagine that future WoodCrafters events will be of a similar format so to encourage all woody flyers to attend and as a tribute to Ray.

Wayne
Jul 11, 2019, 07:47 AM
3RN13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Merrill
Ernie, you would do a great job as the CD. I will help you! I plan on attending next year
I don't think so, my life has been in so much turmoil the last 6 months the last thing I need is to stress out over BF2020.

Ernie
Last edited by ernie b; Jul 11, 2019 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Too strong of a negative, sorry!
Jul 11, 2019, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Merrill
I'm already planning to attend next year and I'll help with whatever needs to be done.

Mike
Jul 11, 2019, 10:58 AM
Balsa dust maker
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcramer
I'm already planning to attend next year and I'll help with whatever needs to be done.

Mike

I'm definitely planning on being there as well. Just picked up the 1.5m YJ for the hi-start event.
Not sure I can CD but I'll help out anyway I can.
Jul 11, 2019, 12:45 PM
Well, if no one steps up to be the CD, it can just be a fun fly. It’s always good to get together with like minded pilots and hunt thermals all day

But someone still needs to contact the AMA and reserve the site.

Quick Reply