Dec 17, 2018, 06:13 AM
Thread OP
Alert

Balsa Flyers 2019 (formerly Woodcrafters)

Hi folks - Jim Vanderzyl here.

As Ray Hayes has been overwhelmed with Skybench kit manufacturing, he is not in a position to host this yearís Woodcrafterís event. I am making it my goal to secure the site on the same days (May 31, 1-2 June 2019), get my CD certification, run the same basic events that were planned, and to have fun! I renamed it Balsa Flyers to start a new Event and thread, ensure identification with the AMA, and to preserve Rayís wonderful work over the years.

As I mentioned, my first goal is to secure the site on the original dates and to achieve my CD certification. I will keep you posted on my progress. Secondly, I need to work with some of you for equipment logistics (winches, hi-starts, etc). Iíll develop a website in the New Year for Registration and sign-up for events.

Feel free to add your thoughts to this Thread!

Jim Vanderzyl
to remove ads between posts
Dec 17, 2018, 07:27 AM
3RN13
Good morning Jim

I wish you all the best in your endeavor.

I have borrowed the entry form from Ray's site and updated it to be more user friendly,.

If you want it just PM me your e-mail address and I'll send a copy.

Ernie
Last edited by ernie b; Dec 28, 2018 at 05:19 PM.
Dec 17, 2018, 01:02 PM

Thanks for picking up the baton Jim.
Dec 17, 2018, 01:25 PM
399' and holding
Thank you Jim.
I will be happy to help with whatever I can.
Dec 17, 2018, 02:32 PM
Based on my interpretation of the wood crafters 2019 event it appeared to be a nostalgia event

1. Will there also be ALES
2. Will Lil birds, and big birds etc be permitted in the nostalgia class?

Thanks
John W Grenoble
Dec 17, 2018, 02:48 PM
The King Moonracer of balsa.
Hi John, Wood Crafters is primarily an event showcasing wooden sailplanes. While many nostalgia designs fit this category, it is not just a NOS event. There are many newer wood designs that are flown at Wood Crafters. Fiberglass fuselages are allowed and some carbon reinforcements are allowed in the structure. The exact rules definitions are on Ray's Skybench website.

So feel free to show up with a newer style F3-RES design or something like a Miles or an Oly 3. Older classic designs are always welcome. Electric launch, hand launch and string launch are all welcome.

Wayne
Dec 17, 2018, 04:58 PM
Yep new balsa too!
Jim,
Count me in. I am willing to help in any way needed. Thanks for keeping the tradition!
David Siepker
Dec 17, 2018, 05:11 PM
This can be our logo for next year.

Wayne
Dec 17, 2018, 05:35 PM
Thread OP
Wayne,

I like the Logo... thatís it for 2019!

Passed the Contest Director exam this morning; waiting for AMA to do their part - then Iíll apply for the National site at Muncie on the same proposed dates.

Jim V
Dec 17, 2018, 05:56 PM
Full disclosure, I did not create this little logo. I discovered it here on RCGroups many years ago and though it would make a fun sticker for my woodie sailplanes. I don't believe that using it will be a problem but, you never know. I can make a good faith effort to locate the thread here on RCGroups where I found it and try to track down the creator.

Wayne
Dec 17, 2018, 06:14 PM
3RN13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va123 View Post
Wayne,

I like the Logo... thatís it for 2019!

Passed the Contest Director exam this morning; waiting for AMA to do their part - then Iíll apply for the National site at Muncie on the same proposed dates.

Jim V
Congrats on the CD exam!

Ernie
Dec 17, 2018, 06:23 PM
3RN13
Jim

I was working with Ray last year on forms, but I left one on my PC at work and did not forward it to my home PC, so tomorrow (12/18) I will send you a copy of the registration form, entry list and scorecards. Should save you a ton of work. All forms are in Excel and easy to modify if you so desire.

Ernie
Dec 17, 2018, 06:31 PM
Balsa breaks better
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
This can be our logo for next year.

Wayne
Balsa Breaks Better too as it has said under my screen name for several years now . . . ;>)

I think that logo may have been on a kit makers plans at one time . . .

Thank You for picking it up Jim, hope I can escape work this year . . .

Joe
Dec 17, 2018, 07:14 PM
Guillows....
Still peeling Ambroid off my fingers. L
Dec 17, 2018, 07:24 PM
Thread OP
John G,

Like Wayne indicated, there will be events for your planes! Glad youíre going to make it!

Jim V

Quick Reply