This thread is privately moderated by PittSpecial, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 17, 2018, 01:59 AM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Discussion

My younger years..............................39 years ago!

Some of you may not know this of me but, I decided to share it with you and some of my close friends and family members that visit my Blog......

Okay, back in Miami, Florida during 1979, I bought (by mistake) a used 1973 super bug (Semi-Automatic).

Needless to say this Super Bug was fast as there was no Clutch in the traditional manner. All shifting was done by Vacuum assist with the Shift Stick and Three forward Speeds plus one reverse.

I was a struggling Student attending College and had to work UPS facility at Miami near the International Airport (That Facility still exists) and had to work the grave yard shifts. Needless to say I had a couple of Drunks rear-end me and that's where theses Large Vacuum Tanks were located, at the underside of the rear fenders! Without them you could not shift, period.

One Drunk Driver rear-ended me and I went after him in 2nd Gear at 50-MPH and he almost eluded me but, I found him by his Brake Lights. I was crossing North West 22nd Avenue Bridge (Over Miami River) and as I saw him with the excitement, I made the mistake of turning too soon to continue and give chase and went off the bottom end of the bridge and the car went AIR borne 5 feet off the ground and landed going 40-MPH, the VW Super Bug continued and I was able to catch the SON of BEECH! He was SOOOO DRUNK that I had to reach in and Turn OFF his car and get the Car Keys from him. We both Struggled in the dead of the night and perhaps woke up the entire block.

Police came like a Miami Vice episode because the Drunk had several bags of Cocaine plus two Machine Guns in his trunk. The Lord was with me that night as this guy was sooo plastered that he could not even stand UP when he got arrested.

My 1973 VW Super Bug - semi automatic limped home that night without the better for ware! What an amazing Car that was!

This car Saved my Life as I found myself in the middle of the 1980 Miami Riots (Liberty City) as I was coming back from the Miami-Dade Community College Campus (North) and had to cut across town and through Liberty City. I had no idea what was going on and found myself with people trying to STOP traffic with chains, Pipes and other hand held weapons I found myself hitting the Gas Peddle and I reached a max speed of 86 MPH and found myself passing a Miami-Dade County Deputy! As I learned later a Truck Driver was not so lucky as he was killed by the angry Mob. On various occasions I had to target those in the middle of the intersections that were trying to STOP me but, I knew if I did stop, I was a dead man. I just continued accelerating and they jump away to the side. It was an experienced that I will never forget and those faces!
https://blackpast.org/aah/miami-liberty-city-riot-1980

In 1981, I sold that car for $100 more than I bought it..... moved on with my Life.

Two pictures of an identical 1973 VW Super Bug with Semi-Automatic Transmission!
Last edited by PittSpecial; Dec 17, 2018 at 08:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply