This thread is privately moderated by SoaringDude, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 20, 2019, 04:38 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Thread OP

June Tour newsletter is here

Yesterday we sent out the June newsletter (PDF here). If you are not on the Tour emailing list you can sign up on f5j-usa.com (in the right-hand column of every page).

This issue has an update from the 2019 World Championship Team F5J USA as well as Part 2 of our special article series on "Competitive F5J models." In this final installment we are presenting answers from Darwin Barrie, Lenny Keer, and Jon Garber. There is some very helpful F5J plane info in their responses.

If you are not on the mailing list yet you can view and download 2019 newsletter issues here.

Chris
www.f5j-usa.com
to remove ads between posts
Jun 27, 2019, 07:38 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
I just want to say a BIG shout out to CHRIS B.!!!!!! if it was'nt for him,,,,,,,,,,,, F5j USA tour would've NEVER HAPPENED!!!! his big red clock<<<< his organizing skills<<<< all made this happen!
most likely<<<< the USA f5J TEAM WOULDN'T have happened without him either !! guys like CHRIS rarely go recognized!!!! ,,,, I just want to recognize what a HUGE contribution he's made to F5J in the USA!!!! way to go CHRIS!!!!!

JERRY MOLNAR SVSS
Last edited by Airman74; Jun 28, 2019 at 09:57 AM.
Jun 27, 2019, 10:34 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Thread OP
Thanks Jerry, you're a very dear friend, but that's got to be the funniest compliment I may have ever received. LOL
Jun 29, 2019, 10:55 AM
Team Hello Kitty
Thread OP

Tour standings updated

The F5J USA Tour season standings are updated with the F5J in Sacramento results and are available via this page.

I see a good number of excellent pilots with only 3 contests flown and scores in the 2900-3000 range. This means after they fly in one more Tour event they are likely going to be in the top 10. This year looks like the spacing between top 10 guys is going to be tight. Bonus points that rely on the number of participating pilots in each event is going to be a much bigger factor.

Chris
Jul 01, 2019, 10:02 PM
the icbm of pilots
Thank you Chris.
Jul 03, 2019, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74
I just want to say a BIG shout out to CHRIS B.!!!!!! if it was'nt for him,,,,,,,,,,,, F5j USA tour would've NEVER HAPPENED!!!! his big red clock<<<< his organizing skills<<<< all made this happen!
most likely<<<< the USA f5J TEAM WOULDN'T have happened without him either !! guys like CHRIS rarely go recognized!!!! ,,,, I just want to recognize what a HUGE contribution he's made to F5J in the USA!!!! way to go CHRIS!!!!!

JERRY MOLNAR SVSS
+++what Jerry said
Rick
Jul 05, 2019, 11:48 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Thread OP

Latest must-see video from Jure Pečar

Jure's latest video from an event in Vipava Slovenia last weekend is one of his best in recent memory. The field is absolutely stunning, in a valley at the base of a mountain range. Thermal conditions were fantastic and enabled plenty of low launches. And Jure's running contest narration and commentary was very informative.

These fly-offs are a great example of what makes F5J so intriguing. This video was of 10 pilots in a 3-round fly-offs where the competition level was high. I won't spoil the results other than to say you have to watch through to the end so you can see the flight scores and launch heights. Enjoy!

FAI F5J Vipava 2019, Slovenia (43 min 21 sec)
Jul 09, 2019, 12:01 AM
Team Hello Kitty
Thread OP

Tour standings updated

The F5J USA Tour season standings are updated with the ESL F5J @ Daniel Boone (PA) results and are available on this page.

Up next

This weekend: the 3rd annual F5J on the Central Coast in Santa Margarita CA (info). A modest pilots list for this one but I'm still expecting an exciting event. An interesting field in a very nice country setting. Real-time scores will be going on Gliderscore.com.

Chris
www.f5j-usa.com
Jul 09, 2019, 04:03 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Thread OP

North/South F5J Challenge - Oct 26-27 Visalia CA

Heads up competition seekers! We are starting a new event that we hope catches on and becomes an annual thing. The North/South F5J Challenge was conceived by Fred Weaver (oh oh!) in the image of the old North/South Challenge for TD.

Name: north-south-F5J-logo-400px.png
Views: 3
Size: 28.5 KB
Description:

The basic idea is that pilots sign up for the North or South team regardless of their geographical location. Then we hold a 2-day Tour event and establish a winning team based on top scores from each team. The winning team gets to take the perpetual trophy home for the next season. Bragging rights, baby.

Details here . Location is the CVRC field in Visalia CA. The event will be run by NorCal F5J, a group of N. California F5J guys. If you like the idea and think you want to participate please sign up for a team here. No charge to sign up for a team.

Any questions let 'er rip.
Chris
Jul 09, 2019, 10:25 PM
Camber down and screw it up.
Hmmm..... That Weav - always thinkin' about things.

Might have been slightly more interesting to do an East-West challenge . And have the contest location rotate between E and W coasts ?

--
Greg
Jul 09, 2019, 10:56 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Thread OP
Hi Greg. We can absolutely rotate locations each year! And the way it is now _anyone_ can sign up for either team. We expect lots of "cross-geography" recruiting. Like, everyone knows all the east coast pilots are going to want to be on the North team. You know, where Freddie will be hangin'
Jul 09, 2019, 11:17 PM
Original Bloody Spadder
Greg I think the idea is north -south California.
Not n-s Usa
I think weavers idea it to recreate a nostalgic Contest from the 70 s
Jul 09, 2019, 11:57 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Thread OP
John, the idea is to include all USA pilots not just the Calif ones
Jul 10, 2019, 06:25 AM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
What he said ^^^
Jul 10, 2019, 08:18 PM
Original Bloody Spadder
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaringDude
John, the idea is to include all USA pilots not just the Calif ones
It was my understanding is that back in the day it was north or south calif. and that is what he is trying to replicate
If it was east vs west. There would be 90 west 10 east if that Id not sure it matters to me Id go either way maybe Weav will chime in here

Quick Reply