This thread is privately moderated by SoaringDude, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 16, 2018, 06:33 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Thread OP
Discussion

F5J USA Tour 2019

Welcome to the 2019 F5J USA Tour! This is our third season during which we fully expect to continue the trend of healthy growth in USA F5J, and especially in the eastern region. Already we have a good starting lineup of 2019 events in the Calendar. The F5J USA Tour season is Dec 1-Nov 30 which made the December F5J in the Desert (Phoenix) our first 2019 season event. Full Tour info is here where rules and guidelines are posted. F5J tutorials and field setup tips are also up on the site.

Name: F5J-USA-Logo-450px.png
Views: 8
Size: 50.3 KB
Description:

Register your event - Clubs and organizers are invited to register their events by filling out our online event application. One of the main benefits of having your event on the Tour is that we expect it will encourage more pilots to attend. Note there is a $3/pilot fee to clubs (due when you send us your scores) to cover end-of-season award and related expenses.

Rules and Guidelines - If you plan to host a Tour event we suggest that you take some time to review the Tour Rules and Guidelines that can be found on the F5J USA Tour page. These pages have important information to know before you run your Tour events.

F5J USA Tour Advisory Group - This group is responsible for managing the Tour and includes the following key supporters and pioneers of USA-based F5J: Lee Wolfe, Steve Neu, Lenny Keer, Larry Jolly, Jim Monaco, David Beach, and Chris Bajorek. Each advisor brings significant experience and energy to this group.

2018 financial statement - Following the end of each season we publish a financial statement (our ledger) that shows the Tour's sources and uses of funds. You can find our 2018 season ledger at the bottom of our Financial Declaration page.

Join our email list - In 2019 we will start using email to deliver occassional announcements and even a newsletter every now and then. If you received an email recently for the pilot poll then you are already on our list. If not then you can sign up on f5j-usa.com via the "F5J USA Tour email list" box located in the right-hand sidebar of every page.

Hope to see you at the next F5J USA Tour event and, as always, thanks for your ongoing support of US-based F5J.

The F5J USA Tour Advisory Group
www.f5j-usa.com

2018 season references: RC Groups 2018 Tour thread --- 2018 Calendar archive
2017 season references: RC Groups 2017 Tour thread --- 2017 Calendar archive
to remove ads between posts
Dec 18, 2018, 01:32 AM
Team USA F5J
Gonna be another good year!
Latest blog entry: My sailplanes
Dec 18, 2018, 11:18 AM
Team Hello Kitty
Thread OP
I agree Jon and it's gonna be especially exciting for you and your WC team members. We're starting to fill the Tour calendar, already 6 events and many more coming e.g. Spring events in Visalia, Farmville NC, Vegas, Santa Margarita, and fingers crossed for somewhere in Norcal. We will do everything we can to line up some challenging events for you guys to fly in before your trip to Slovakia in August.

Latest event added: ESL F5J in PA in July.
Dec 20, 2018, 12:01 AM
Team Hello Kitty
Thread OP

Please donate to GliderScore!

GliderScore has become the world-wide F5J* score-keeping standard thanks to the tireless efforts of Gerry Carter, the chief developer of the program. With the major enhancements like smartphone scoring and flexible support for LED displays that Gerry has added over the last several years, running a large F5J event has been made significantly easier. A majority of USA clubs that host F5J Tour events know what I'm talking about.

There is no charge to download and use GliderScore. The cost of maintaining the program is 100% dependent on donations so please send a donation soon via this link: http://www.gliderscore.com/Donate.aspx

Thanks much to those clubs and pilots that take a moment to send him a donation.

Cheers,
Chris
www.f5j-usa.com

* GliderScore supports a very long list of contest formats beyond just F5J.
Dec 26, 2018, 12:12 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Thread OP

December update

Hope you had a Merry Christmas and will continue to have a nice holiday season and New Year's celebration. I for one am glad that we are past the winter solstice with the days starting to get longer again. More sun, more thermals.

Contest calendar

We just added a new event to the Tour Calendar: the Southwest Classic F5J on February 23-24 and hosted by the East Valley Electric Flyers (EVEF) in Phoenix. CD is John Armstrong, event organizer is Charlie Morris, details coming soon. This event is at the same fantastic sod farm field that they secured for the recent F5J in the Desert early this month. The roots of this event go back many years when the predecessor club to EVEF (CASL) hosted their annual Southwest Classic TD event. So the Classic is back!

Woodies, foamies, and other lower cost planes are invited!

Based on multiple requests in our recent Tour pilot poll we are formally inviting lower cost planes to participate in F5J USA Tour events. We have posted a GliderScore tutorial ("How to add classes for woodies & other basic planes") that explains how to add one or more classes for woodies, foamies, and other lower cost planes. Clubs can then separately recognize and give out awards for pilots flying in those classes. All of this can be done legally per FAI F5J and Tour rules. The whole idea is to encourage more pilots to get started in F5J.

More soon.
Chris
www.f5j-usa.com
Jan 04, 2019, 01:16 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Thread OP

January 2019 tour newsletter just sent

This year we will be using emailed newsletters and announcements to keep our pilots up to date on Tour events and happenings. Since not everyone checks this RC Groups thread often emails will give us a broader and more immediate way to keep you informed.

Last night we sent out our maiden issue: the January 2019 newsletter. If you are already on our mailing list then you should have received it by now. If you are not yet on our list you can subscribe on f5j-usa.com. The subscribe box is in the right hand sidebar of every page on the website.

For anyone who subscribes over the coming week I'll make sure you get the January issue sent to you too.

One more thing: please feel free to suggest topics that you would like us to cover in our newsletters.

Thanks much!
Chris
Jan 04, 2019, 01:50 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Chris, that was a very nicely done newsletter.
Can you by chance save the newsletters on the website?
This way we can always either send the link to somebody (club members) or read old newsletters.
Just a thought...
Jan 04, 2019, 10:39 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Thread OP
Hi Oleg, thanks for the suggestion. Yes I do eventually plan to maintain a newsletter archive on f5j-usa.com. For now it's an email-only thing until I get more time to set that up.
Jan 09, 2019, 01:06 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Thread OP

New EAST event just added: Mar 2-3 in Florida

I'm pleased to announce a new F5J USA Tour event in the eastern region that has just been added to the Tour calendar: the Warm & Sunny in Florida F5J on March 2-3 and hosted by the St. Augustine RC Flyers. They are also planning to run an F3J contest the week after this event. Details are coming. Welcome to the F5J Tour, guys!

Chris
www.f5j-usa.com
Jan 10, 2019, 12:22 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Thread OP

New WEST event just added: May 5-6 in Vegas

We just posted another event to the calendar: a return of the popular 2-day F5J in Vegas event. This is "Part 2" of the combined F3J/F5J event at the same Sandy Valley sod farm site as was used the last 2 years. Hosted by RMSA by organizers Jim Monaco and John Lovins the F5J competition will run on Sunday/Monday. Details here.

The 2019 F5J USA Tour calendar is filling out nicely. I'm aware of at least one more west event that is coming in the first half of the year. There is also the possibility of a late June event in Northern California but details are still being worked out. Maybe a few more coming in the east too?
Jan 19, 2019, 11:56 AM
Team Hello Kitty
Thread OP

Tour Calendar update

We just added a new western region event to the Tour Calendar: F5J in Sacramento on June 22-23. This is the 3rd Tour event hosted by Sacramento and should be another good one. Details coming soon.

Next up: Feb 23-24 Southwest Classic (Phoenix)

The pilots list for this event is growing fast (at 26 now). If you have not signed up yet you really should consider going. EVEF has secured a great field: lots of wide open space with plenty of irrigated grass. Don't miss it!!

Chris
www.f5j-usa.com
Jan 29, 2019, 01:10 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Thread OP

Tour events update

Looking good for Southwest Classic/Feb 23

The Southwest Classic is back and the pilot list is looking great at 30+ pilots. Based on the prep work that is going on behind the scenes I know this is going to be another well run and challenging EVEF event. I would definitely include this one as "not to miss."

Warm and Sunny F5J in Florida/Mar 2

The pilots list for this one is growing steadily. They are drawing guys from quite a distance to fly in this one, including Calif, Arizona, and Colorado. Should be a great event. From what I have heard the St. Augustine Flyers are making a significant equipment investment for F5J. And I assume that the "Warm and Sunny" thing is guaranteed, right?

Signups open for Visalia #1/Mar 23

Signups just opened up for the first F5J USA Tour event in Visalia this season. Info here, signups on rcsoaring.com (click "Contests)". This is a fantastic centrally-located venue for a west coast event. Time Johnson and the CVRC crew do a really great job hosting these. If you have not flown yet in a Visalia F5J come join in this time !

----------------------
Links to info and pilot lists for all the Tour events is available here: http://www.f5j-usa.com/calendar/

Chris
www.f5j-usa.com
Feb 27, 2019, 08:07 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Thread OP

February Update

Events coming up

Warm & Sunny F5J in Florida -- This weekend. They have 23 on the pilots list who are coming from all over the US. We have our fingers crossed they get lots of that "warm and sunny" stuff.

Visalia #1 in Calif, March 23 - CVRC is hosting 2 Tour events again this year. We have seen some good additions to the pilots list in the last several days for this one. I expect another classic Visalia F5J battle.

Standings Updated

Season standings (link) were just updated with the Southwest Classic results and will get updated again soon after the Florida event.

Newsletter Archive is Up

By popular request we now have a Tour newsletter archive (2019 issues here). It currently has the Jan and Feb issues. There is also a link to these on the F5J USA Tour info page. These are PDF files that will usually be posted a few weeks after a new issue is emailed out. If you are not yet on the Tour email list you can subscribe in the right-hand margin of every page on the f5j-usa.com website.

Chris
www.f5j-usa.com
Mar 03, 2019, 07:42 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Thread OP
FAI F5J rule-making update

We will be giving details in the upcoming March Tour newsletter but just a quick update: today our Advisory Group sent our combined votes to the international working group for all official F5J rule proposals F5J g) thru x). For the formal list of proposals see this post from Steve Neu's F5J rule proposals thread. The summation of opinions from all 16 countries participating in this working group will soon be submitted to the F5 rules sub-committee for their consideration when they meet next month.

F5J World Championships - Prelim registered countries

I just received the current registration status (attached below) for countries that have registered for the championships this August in Slovakia. It's a pretty interesting document that shows 26 registered countries so far along with the number of Jr and Sr pilots that will be attending. Yes, David Beach's USA team has already registered 3 senior and 3 junior pilots!

I'll share WC registration updates as I receive them.

Chris
www.f5j-usa.com
Mar 05, 2019, 09:35 AM
Oleg Golovidov
I wish we had as much enthusiasm in the USA for F5J as there is in Europe.
Check this out. The Trnava cup (the Worlds "pre-contest") opened their registration 2 days ago and on the second day they exceeded their initial cap of 144 pilots, bumped it up to 162, then to 180, now at 198.
http://www.mcttrnava.sk/cms/e107_plu...hp?sutazf5j=86
I saw comments from Vitaly that major F5J contests in Europe get filled up within 10 minutes of the registration opening, 100 pilots sign up within 10 minutes!
One has to be on the ready if one wants to get into a major F5J event. And here we struggle to get 20 pilots signed up and getting 40 is a huge accomplishment

Quick Reply