Dec 16, 2018, 11:57 AM
Foam is my friend!!!
Thread OP
Question

Wire Landing Gear for Foam "Profile" Airplanes??

Hi All,
I'm completing a profile 3D flyer , made from "Lowes" 1/2" thick Blue Foam. I'll use a light "Spring Steel" wire landing gear with some lightweight wheels, and I'm looking for good ways to secure the wire landing gear to the foam fuselage?? I've got some ideas, but thought I'd reach out to the community for good ideas, suggestions! here is a pic of what the plane will look like (This one is not mine)!
to remove ads between posts
Dec 16, 2018, 12:38 PM
flyin' fool
I've used this method on profile designs of all sizes with good success .......................................… https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=215
Dec 17, 2018, 06:47 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
We mount the gear to the motor stick where it’s solid with the fuselage and less likely to tear out …
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Dec 17, 2018, 07:08 AM
Kimbers Keeper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
We mount the gear to the motor stick where it’s solid with the fuselage and less likely to tear out …
I just wasted half an hour looking for a picture, that is how I do mine, when there is a lower fuselage, I notch out
for the stick, I just use three or four inch long piece and epoxy it in. Never had a problem with this design.
Dec 17, 2018, 08:19 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
The stick ( Bamboo chopstick) alone adds tremendous strength and stiffness to the whole front end of a Profile fuselage … Like BH said … it works …

And in reality , for LAR planes we really like the Monowheel , easy , half the parasitic drag ..
Last edited by gpw; Dec 17, 2018 at 08:29 AM.
Dec 19, 2018, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
I've used this method on profile designs of all sizes with good success .......................................… https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=215
Yup, I do mine the same way. I mostly use carbon fiber for the struts but then again I fly off reasonably smooth pavement most of the time.
Dec 20, 2018, 09:46 AM
Scratch builder
I like what you already have, but would drill SMALL holes so I could run tie wraps through
the wood. Two locations would be good.
Dec 20, 2018, 12:03 PM
flyin' fool
As pictured in post #1, it's a torsion bar type gear and prone to spread too much.

Quick Reply