Jan 22, 2019, 10:09 AM
Thread OP
This does not happen often.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 22, 2019, 10:31 AM
Life is better now
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtolman
I brought my daughter Emma down to the gliderport today. While I didn't get my plane in the air it was great to hang out and spectate! The paragliders gave up and were not flying tandem rides so RC had the place to ourselves

Google photos link with some more pics (some of the panos were too large for RCGroups) - https://photos.app.goo.gl/ENs5VDdTiT5iDtm26
Thanks for the post Justin.....Would be great if we had a day like this at the Katie Tribute.....keeping my fingers crossed....I love all the green on both sides of the traditional flying mound.
Bob
Feb 08, 2019, 02:12 PM
Thread OP
Related topic

Tpg’s Ian going to run a Slope Combat session at the poway Slope. If you are working on LSF bring a form or show up. Gary F is coordinating LSF credit.

Meet at the top of the hill. Combat starts at 1 pm.

Forecast is good for combat 8-9 mph by 1 pm.
Feb 16, 2019, 11:45 AM

Next Fun Fly = March 23rd, and FAA Stuff

Happy Wet February Guys!

Just a little reminder for our next Fun Fly that’s in five weeks from now; should be enough time to dry out a bit, and let the Landing Zone get even thicker with weeds and grass. Please note the addition to the schedule of the F3F race at Torrey Pines in April (below), with a backup date - this is a Sunday event.

Another note of interest: You all probably received an email from AMA recently to register with the FAA. It’s call the Interim Final Rule and can be found here; https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=93045

There are two ways to register, and it’s really an easy process – takes 5 minutes, costs $5, and is good for 3 years.

Just create an account here: https://faadronezone.faa.gov/#/

Choose Part 336. This choice registers the pilot with one number that’s applied to all of your planes. The other choice is Part 107, which registers every plane that you have at $5ea. Can get quite pricey.

Join us on 3/23, then afterwards we’ll meet at AleSmith for a beer or two.

• Mar 23rd – Followed by Happy Hour @ AleSmith Brewery
• Apr 7th Sunday/ April 14th Backup day – Torrey Pines Classic F3F Race. Open to all, register on the Vault.
• May 25th – Foamies
• June 1st - Katie Martin Int’l Tribute – Not a Gulls Only Fun Fly event, but International Event
• July 27th – TWF/ PNF – that’s Twisty Wings & Pointy Nosed birds
• Aug 24th – Scaleies
• Sept 21st – Old School Vintage/ Crunchies
• Nov 23rd – No Shopping Saturday

Best Regards!
Mark
Feb 17, 2019, 08:08 PM
Thread OP
Great Fun Fly today....

I heard yesterday was a great day but had a commitment that kept from the bluff until sunset for a quick but satisfying 15 sunset session. Got too dark for my comfort.

Today was a gift from god. My wife was out with her sisters so I had the morning to do as I pleased.

Got to the bluff around 8:32 Marty z was already there (since 6:30). Remaidened Godzilla in her new colors, flew the Zero and ended with the energic at noon as the wind was waning.

As soon as I left the wind built back up.

Good to see Will out visiting.
Mar 16, 2019, 09:05 AM

Fun Fly - March 23rd

Hi Gulls,

Just a reminder that next Saturday the 23rd is our next scheduled Fun Fly. Afterwards, we’re headed to AleSmith Brewery for a Happy Hour.

If you haven’t checked in at the Gliderport by signing the yearly waivers, please do so, and please make sure that you check in for the day for the rest of you.

See you all out there – it’s a, ”Run-What-You-Brung” day as far as what type of plane to bring.

• Mar 23rd – Followed by Happy Hour @ AleSmith Brewery
• Apr 7th Sunday/ April 14th Backup day – Torrey Pines Classic F3F Race. Open to all, register on the Vault.
• May 25th – Foamies
• June 1st - Katie Martin Int’l Tribute – Not a Gulls Only Fun Fly event, but International Event
• Aug 24th – Scaleies
Mar 23, 2019, 04:30 PM
Thread OP
Looks like great conditions at Torrey.
Mar 24, 2019, 01:56 PM
Thread OP
We I got there at sunset and about 5 others were still flying. The conditions were so good that happy hour was postponed!!
Mar 24, 2019, 04:25 PM
Lets build it
oh no not happy hour!
Mar 24, 2019, 04:52 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Slean
oh no not happy hour!
Mike we’ll reschedule next time you visit.
May 17, 2019, 09:51 AM

May 25th & June 1st - Back-to-Back Saturday Events

Hi Gulls,

Just a reminder that the following Saturday, the 25th, is our next scheduled Fun Fly, it’s all about Foamies. Bring an Ahi, Alula, Radian, KA-8, or whatever other foam plane that you have!

The next Saturday after that, June 1st, is the Katie Martin International Tribute. This is always a special treat as there will be well over a 100 planes out there. Let’s be safe and limit the number of planes in the air to no more than seven, and if you’re not flying, please pitch in and be a spotter. We want this to be a safe, fun place for everyone!

If you haven’t checked in at the Gliderport by signing the yearly waivers, please do so, and please make sure that you check in for the day for the rest of you.

See you all out there, and blue sky’s!

• May 25th – Foamies
• Aug 24th – Scaleies
Jul 03, 2019, 12:59 AM
Looking forward to this month's TWF/ PNF event...Mike F just delivered Jester #19 in time and I'm hoping to resurrect a 21 year old Ken Stuhr V-Max to bring as well (been saving a bag 'o parts to rebuild from a high speed impact at Yorba back in '89...)

Barry
Jul 19, 2019, 11:14 PM
Looking forward to hanging out with the twisty gang next Saturday!
Cheers
Jul 20, 2019, 09:44 AM

Fun-Fly, July 27th, TWF & PNF Twisty Wings and Pointy Nosed birds

Hi Gulls,

Just a reminder that the following Saturday, July 27th, is our next scheduled Fun Fly; it’s all about Twisty Wing and Pointy Nosed planes! Or, just bring whatever plane that you have!

If you haven’t been in to Torrey Pines Gliderport in a while, it’s time to come out. The paraglider folks are behaving so much better lately. In other words, their rules of one-in-the-window, and alerting us RC’ers that they’re flying through with a whistle or yell has improved immensely. Let’s be safe and limit the number of planes in the air to no more than seven, (7) and if you’re not flying, please pitch in and be a spotter. We want this to be a safe, fun place for everyone! Also, check your battery health, antenna orientation, (90 degrees from one another) all connections, and flying surface orientation to your transmitter input before launching.

See you all out there, and blue sky’s!

• Aug 24th – Scaleies

Mark Baldacchino
Jul 20, 2019, 12:13 PM
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reminder: Pointy Nose and Twisty Wing good times. Your positive remarks about flying Torrey are true. Things have really changed for the best, 7 days a week! See you there.

Jim Birkett

Quick Reply