Dec 14, 2018, 10:00 PM
Thread OP
Announce

2019 TPG Fun Fly Series at Torrey

The 2019 TPG Fun Fly Calendar will soon be posted on the club website but you can read it here first.

The Fun Fly series is held at The Gliderport and are scheduled for Saturday’s. We post a theme but Fly what you bring.

Jan 19 is the Kickoff event
Mar 23 followed by happy hour at Ale Smith
May 25 foamys Ka8’s are foamy.
Jul 26 TWF/PNF Ka8’s are neither.
Aug 24 Scale. Ka8’s are Scale.
Sep 21 old school crunches. Ka8’s are crunchable.
Nov 3 Pre-winter season ender.

Jun 1 weekend is blocked off for the Katie Martin International Tribute. A formal announcement will be made later. TPG President and Bob have some meeting and planning to do.

In April is the Torrey Classic F3F Race. I edit the actual date once I find Tim’s email.

Anyone with AMA is welcome to attend.

This is a very popular PG site so the skies can get crowded. So RC pilots must be on the ball. Help each other spotting and fly 2-3 seconds ahead of your plane.

I would also like to announce that Mark B will be the slope coordinator for 2019. Mark is a fantastic builder of crunchies and is a very friendly ambassador to the hobby. Please support Mark by attending the fun fly events, listen to his advice and requests, volunteering to spot, usher tourist off the LZ, and steer him away from bars.

Remember Blue Skies

Ray
Last edited by rockbus; Dec 29, 2018 at 12:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 15, 2018, 09:42 AM
Hi TP Gulls!

Let me introduce myself to you of those who don’t know me as I’ve volunteered myself in taking the Slope Coordinator function from Ray Pili. Thank you so much Ray for the hard work you’re provided to our club!

I grew up in Phoenix, and was first introduced to RC in 1976 when I was 11 with a homemade nitro powered boat that my dad and I built. I then got into RC sailboats, and we’d race there, and come over to race with the San Diego Argonauts in Mission Bay about three times a year. My first real job in 1980 was working in Phoenix’s largest hobby shop, where I got introduced to all kinds of new toys! I brought home, one day, a nitro powered outrigger hydroplane kit that my dad and I got to build and race. We ended up with six different boat classes and raced them all in Phoenix, Tucson, and here in San Diego. I also build a Gentle Lady 2M sailplane, flew it on a couple of hand tosses, but there was no club there to get some advice, so I sold it. After four years in the Hobby shop, and not able to get discounted parts and fuel, we went back to sailboats for the next couple of decades. During this time I got involved in racing electric and nitro, on-road and off-road cars. The competition is absolutely fierce with both nitro boats and cars! In 2004, I bought a 2M Spirit kit and a Hi-start. Still no sailplane club in Phoenix, but the web taught me to teach myself on how to catch thermals from a high school football field. I had gotten hooked big time as it was a blast to see something you’ve built from a box of wood, and get specked in the sky. I built another Spirit from scratch, and started a Bird of Time kit.

I had worked for Honeywell at their aircraft engine facility and avionics division for 20 years, and my job in customer support was outsourced to India in 2005. That’s when I decided that I had enough of the desert, and wanted to be by the ocean. My wife and two kids moved here in ’06, and got into the San Diego Argonauts RC boat club. I became the Santa Barbara, (one of 35 different boat classes) class secretary for the American Model Yacht Association, AMYA. I helped grow the class by finding a couple of guys to make boat hulls, one on each coast, as when I took over there was nobody to make them. The class grew from 90 boats, and as of this month, there are 160. I did this function for eight years, and just transferred the responsibilities over to a well capable skipper.

Just over a year ago, I decided to try sailplanes again to get away from the competitive bickering in racing, so I contacted Ray and Ian to get me going at the slope. With their invaluable help on the buddy box on a foamy KA-8, they got me checked-out, and I’m loving this hobby WAY more than any of them put together. I’ve dabbled in DLG’s and need to get out there and learn more, and Tim Traver got me into F3F/ F3B, which is next on my agenda to get involved with as I love speed.

My goal, as slope coordinator, is to help communicate the Fun Fly events, help check-out new members, and visitors at the slope, and work with the Glider Port folks to make our hobby even more enjoyable. As a newbie, I already see the challenge of a new person being intimidated by flying with so many PG’s in the window, and I realize this doesn’t help grow our presence. I’m all about Safety First, so let me get my feet wet, and get to know who’s who in the zoo as there’s some fun work ahead.

As Ray pointed out, our next Fun Fly is Jan 19th. Come on out, bring a plane or two, and I hope to see you there. I look forward to meeting and working with all of you!

Best Regards!

Mark Baldacchino
Dec 15, 2018, 12:49 PM
The clown flyin' the plane.
Great to have you as Slope Coordinator Mark. You'll be excellent in that position, in spite of having such a class act to follow. Ray thanks for all your work. The fun flies have always been well organized and fun. Looking forward to the 2019 season. I already have them on my calendar.

See you all out at the field.... Ian
Last edited by Ian C; Dec 15, 2018 at 01:01 PM.
Dec 16, 2018, 09:15 AM
Lets build it

Ray

Thanks for all the great work over the last years Ray.
Dec 16, 2018, 12:41 PM
It's not going to build itself
Thanks for stepping up Mark, looking forward to flying at Torrey more next year!
Thanks for all you’ve done Ray!
Tom
Dec 31, 2018, 11:23 AM

January 19 - 2019 Fun Fly Kickoff Event

Happy New Year Everyone!!

I thought I’d put the 2019 schedule out again, and reminder for the next Fun Fly event at Torrey Pines Glider Port, January 19th. It’s the years Kickoff Event, and like in drag racing, its’ “run what ya brung.”

You’ll also notice, in June, there’s the world famous event of the Katie Martin International Tribute fly in. I attended this event in 2018 for my first time, and it was absolutely amazing – don’t miss this one.

All of these dates below are on Saturday’s, and if you haven’t purchased a yearly pass, ($200) for the Glider Port, it’s $10 a day. Make sure you bring your AMA card, and ensure that you’ve been checked-out to fly safely. There’s more details here on the Torrey Pines Gulls page. The dates below are also on the TPG newsletter and the calendar, and I’ll also remind everyone of these dates a few weeks before they happen, as well.

Jan 19th – Kickoff Event
• Mar 23rd – Followed by Happy Hour @ AleSmith Brewery
• May 25th – Foamies
• June 1st - Katie Martin Int’l Tribute – Not a Gulls Only Fun Fly event, but International Event
• July 27th – TWF/ PNF – that’s Twisty Wings & Pointy Nosed birds
• Aug 24th – Scaleies
• Sept 21st – Old School Vintage/ Crunchies
• Nov 23rd – No Shopping Saturday

Best Regards!
Mark Baldacchino
Dec 31, 2018, 11:26 AM
Here's the link to the Torrey Pines Gulls page that has the requirements to fly at the Glider Port.
http://www.torreypinesgulls.org/torr...s-glider-port/

Regards!
Mark
Jan 11, 2019, 10:33 AM
A reminder for next Saturday, 1/19, is our Fun Fly Kickoff at Torrey Pines; weather prevailing. As of today, there’s no rain in the forecast for that day.

Bring any non-powered sailplane, and don’t forget to check-in at the Glider Port shack by watching the safety video, signing the waivers, and getting your video taken for liability. It’s part of the fun, but a small price to pay for a world-class flying venue.

See you all out there!

Mark
Jan 11, 2019, 11:56 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBaldacchino
A reminder for next Saturday, 1/19, is our Fun Fly Kickoff at Torrey Pines; weather prevailing. As of today, there’s no rain in the forecast for that day.

Bring any non-powered sailplane, and don’t forget to check-in at the Glider Port shack by watching the safety video, signing the waivers, and getting your video taken for liability. It’s part of the fun, but a small price to pay for a world-class flying venue.

See you all out there!

Mark
I hope I can go.

I do need to send in my dues though.
Jan 20, 2019, 05:27 PM
Justin Tolman
How'd it go yesterday? Webcam showed a well attended event but it didnt look like the wind gods showed much love.

Is anyone trying to make it out tomorrow? Looks like we are in store for some mega winds, albeit maybe a little too far to the north.
Jan 20, 2019, 08:05 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtolman
How'd it go yesterday? Webcam showed a well attended event but it didnt look like the wind gods showed much love.

Is anyone trying to make it out tomorrow? Looks like we are in store for some mega winds, albeit maybe a little too far to the north.
Should be good tomorrow.

Heard the Wind did not cooperate Saturday.

Ray
Jan 21, 2019, 02:47 AM
Thread OP
Be aware: Jan 24-27 is the big Farmers Insurance Open golf event at Torrey. The golf Nazi’s Have set up their road block north of the RC parking so we are outside of their border.

Good to know slopers will not be fenced out by the establishment!!!

Ray
Last edited by rockbus; Jan 21, 2019 at 03:55 PM.
Jan 21, 2019, 07:00 PM
Justin Tolman

Monday, 1/21/19

I brought my daughter Emma down to the gliderport today. While I didn't get my plane in the air it was great to hang out and spectate! The paragliders gave up and were not flying tandem rides so RC had the place to ourselves

Google photos link with some more pics (some of the panos were too large for RCGroups) - https://photos.app.goo.gl/ENs5VDdTiT5iDtm26
Jan 22, 2019, 12:16 AM
Dale G......OZD
Justin...Who's launching who's plane in the first photo? For the newsletter!

Thanks,

Dale
Jan 22, 2019, 10:08 AM
Thread OP
Dale, Looks like Thomas throwing out Steffen’s Arcus.

Quick Reply