Feb 04, 2019, 09:33 PM
Quote:
Agfrag, I know the desire not to have the prop on the front...I like pushers also....but I'm concern about your tail being floppy without the fuse connected to it. I just downloaded the plans and after looking closer at the pics I see Springer did an excellent job keeping everything tied together so that this would not happen.
Timbo, this has concerned me as well as the rear fuse support won't be there. I was thinking to use a dovetail joint for the "risers" but am still on the fence on the support. I have also in the process of trying to see what I can cram onto (or out of?!) a single sheet of DSF. I have been able to put a pusher design on a single sheet, and I have also increased the chord (measured at the tip) from 3 1/8 inches(~80mm) to about 4 3/4 inches (~120mm) so at this point, I have no idea how flyable the design will be...
to remove ads between posts
Feb 05, 2019, 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamdave
jpot1:

Wow what a beauty! I hope you have a plan to share with us. That is one of my favorite aircraft. Have you flown it yet?

Dave-
Thanks Dave. Yes this flys great. Surprisingly like a trainer. Working on a newer version with a much simpler fuse and better looking rear wing construction.

Flight video:
Synergy Box Wing v2 (1 min 8 sec)

Plans can be found in this thread on the FT forums.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.ph...ox-wing.56749/

Jason
Feb 05, 2019, 11:35 PM
skumgummi dave
Soooo Cooool! Looking forward to your next iteration...

Dave-
Feb 06, 2019, 12:39 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
Had a great time yesterday flying at the Ultimate Soccer Arena in Pontiac. Agfrag brought his DTF version of the BW32, and we tried some formation flying (for about half a circuit then gave up and just enjoyed flying them!) Lots of interest in the design, with several guys intending to get plans off here, so we'll see if we have a flock next week! Also, lots of discussion about how to morph the design into other blended configurations including pushers and Canards. So, since it's "everything covered with ice" outside and the juices were flowing this morning, I powered up Sketchup and tinkered. I haven't built this , and have no idea if it will even fly, but thought it looked pretty cool. Just happened to have an extra sheet leaning against the wall, so I think that it'll be built by evening.

At this point it has only a flat plate wing, no KFM2 top step, still thinking how to incorporate that, but I think that I'll be wanting it for durability if no other reason. (I am convinced that the airfoiled leading edge of KFM2 helps pitch stability and probably stall, so it is worth the cogitation to incorporate it). Haven't set up templates yet, but will and will post them for others who may want to tinker. I think I'll call it BWC32.
Last edited by springer; Feb 06, 2019 at 02:57 PM.
Feb 06, 2019, 01:35 PM
skumgummi dave
Excellent work Mike! It looks like more fun! Three cheers for "everything covered with ice" outside. More pictures at your convenience?

Dave-
Feb 06, 2019, 01:35 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Hey Mike, can you stop it please? I just downloaded the bw32 plans and haven't even gotten started on that one yet.
Feb 06, 2019, 02:04 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
it's a stream of consciousness thing, I guess. I have a dozen designs just sitting in the hard drive waiting to be finished, and I get off on this!

Apologize for complicating your life! (not!)
Feb 06, 2019, 03:11 PM
I hate you!!!!
Feb 08, 2019, 07:08 AM
Had a little bit of time after work last night and played around with your second design. I made a chuck glider based on how I might build it....flat simple wing, no dihedral. A gentle toss and it will glide gracefully across the room, but when I give it a good throw it will dive rapidly towards the floor and then glide about two to three inches above the floor for several feet. I'm guessing...because that's mostly what I do....that the the pieces that connects the wings to the canard is causing that.
Feb 08, 2019, 09:16 AM
treefinder
Thread OP
Timbo, now it's my turn! Can you stop beating me to the builds???

Printed, taped and cut templates Wed. pm, but haven't cut foam yet, and you already have a variant half sorted! I like the poly tips. While the flat center won't allow the score and fold blend action, having the "struts" and fwd empennage separate parts will help fitting templates to foam. You do poly, and I'll continue with dihedral and we can compare results. 18F and blowing a gale here, so I should get some work done on it today.

As I've pondered the design, I suspected the "struts" from main to canard are mostly cosmetic, but your results may indicate they do something. At very least, they increase wing area and lower loading. Some concern about how fragile they may be.
Feb 08, 2019, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
Timbo, now it's my turn! Can you stop beating me to the builds
Paybacks a ain't it?
Haven't built or even really done any plans yet, just slapped together the chuck glider from your top view. When I do get to it...and I will, I love the looks of your design..., it'll have a full fuse very close to what you have done. I'm gonna play with those struts on the test glider and see if I can get some kind of compromise, I don't want to be flying and give it some throttle and watch it dive into the ground every time.
Feb 08, 2019, 01:47 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
yeah, it sometimes is!

Maybe the dive is incidence, and may call for some reflex on ele or ail. I'll find out as I'm cutting and gluing today. Anyway, it's all fun!

As I was scoring and bending the wing, the potential fragility of the struts was again brought to mind. I may double their thickness, just in case. We'll see.
Feb 08, 2019, 04:43 PM
Hmmm, I did add a little incedence to the canard out of habit. I'll mess with that also.
Doubling up the foam in the struts will probably be a good idea, you can hide a cf rod within and add considerable strength.
Last edited by Timbo383; Feb 09, 2019 at 08:20 AM.
Feb 09, 2019, 08:17 AM
Played with bending the elevator and the dive went away, so Im taking out the incidence from my fuse. Glad when its something simple to correct.
I have a bigger problem now, I'm thinking edf for this design would be cool. But before I get to that I think it would be better for me to go the prop motor route first and see how this flies. I'm gonna make a 28 incher out of a sheet of my cheap go to foam (DTF) and see how that goes first. Got it printed and will see if I have time this weekend to do it.
Feb 09, 2019, 12:28 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
Sounds like a reasonable position, since we don't really know how it will perform (if at all!)

Quick Reply