Jan 30, 2019, 10:30 AM
treefinder
Thread OP
UCD: Looks to fly well, turns left nicely, but what happened when turning right? This whole counterclockwise flying thing is a running gag when we get together, several of the guys won't fly clockwise, as they are afraid to! So, I fly clockwise into their flight paths to see if I can get them to change. So far, no success, but lots of near misses!

Nice job on the larger plans too! Tabs and slots! Should make assembly a piece of cake!

It looked like your ROG was going well, was it just not enough throttle for the turn? Launching is always the white knuckle moment for me whether off the ground or a hand launch. The fear of the unknown!

Timbo: If you are looking for a challenge, then take on ailerons! I pondered them for a while, but gave up as I didn't like how I would have to do the hinging. Although small ones on the outboard tips would be cool, but powering them would still be a challenge; curved torque rods, micro servos? Maybe they would all fit better on UCD's larger build.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 30, 2019, 03:42 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
I have some small thin flat servos that works pretty good for those types of space constricted areas, about the same thickness of dtf. Question is, will the extra weight on the tips be worth the extra fun factor?
Jan 30, 2019, 04:37 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
Aha, there's the rub! And the challenge!
Jan 30, 2019, 05:17 PM
There is also a posibility of ailerons on the inboard portion of the wings, not as effective but still usable...and would be easier to do.
Jan 30, 2019, 06:42 PM
Timbo, I have to ask (being a person interested in interesting aircraft designs, thus my presence in this thread!), what is that aircraft in your avatar?!!
Jan 30, 2019, 08:31 PM
For me, I am more used to flying counterclockwise, and occasionally flying clockwise,
but it is really rare.
In the video,When I first throw it, I fly clockwise. At the end, I am ready to land,
but the landing technique is really bad!
Usually the first test flight, because the flight field is too small and many uncertain factors,
I don't dare to put more throttle.
I think it is feasible to use two servers on the wing to achieve the delta wing mixing mode,
anyone will try?
Jan 30, 2019, 10:10 PM
Hmmm. The Aileron idea might solve the challenge I was facing with my pusher design efforts. attached is a snapshot of an idea I was working on and I have added red ailerons just for illustration. I suspect that they might have just enough authority to provide gentle guidance, not like the authority a simple wing design might have, but enough to guide it fairly well. The servos could still be inside the fuselage this way.

UCD, I thought I'd add a carbon tube stiffener, to address the weakness an aileron cut like mine would introduce to the wing blend joint.
Last edited by agfrag; Jan 30, 2019 at 10:12 PM. Reason: added bit about servos
Jan 31, 2019, 10:53 AM
Agfrag, the avatar is my first successful "flyable" canard design. Unfortunately the added paint and protection that I put on it added too much weight for my style of flying...hence why I'm thinking of alerons for Mike's cool plane here. I like to go crazy in the sky (which is why I have a lot of broken pieces at home) Also I make simple planes usually without dihedral...put a plank of foam down, add a stiff cf rod, add alerons, and I'm good to go. I did a build on it and someone helped me with the plans a few years ago, I'll try and find it and post the thread when I get off work if you want.
Jan 31, 2019, 09:11 PM
Timbo, a Canard! I thought it was a boomer! That would be very cool if you could find the thread. I have attempted canards in the past with little luck.

And I am on the verge of a pusher with ailerons using Mike's BW as in my Sketchup model. What the heck... it's just foam board!
Jan 31, 2019, 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by agfrag
Timbo, a Canard! I thought it was a boomer! That would be very cool if you could find the thread. I have attempted canards in the past with little luck.

And I am on the verge of a pusher with ailerons using Mike's BW as in my Sketchup model. What the heck... it's just foam board!
I actually thought it would make a good boomer also, in fact I think I mentioned it in the thread. Give it a try, I'm curious if it would work as one. Here's the link to it https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...rd-design-CD12
Feb 01, 2019, 08:10 AM
Thanks Timbo. Interesting similarities betwixt this design of Mike's and yours! Couldn't help but notice that the first person to reply to your linked thread is Mike!
Feb 01, 2019, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by agfrag
Thanks Timbo. Interesting similarities betwixt this design of Mike's and yours! Couldn't help but notice that the first person to reply to your linked thread is Mike!
That's one thing I found out after a couple of years of scratchbuilding, I would think that I came up with something new and then I would find out someone did something similar to what I thought was my idea. I guess it is true, " great minds think alike"
Feb 04, 2019, 07:59 AM
Agfrag, I know the desire not to have the prop on the front...I like pushers also....but I'm concern about your tail being floppy without the fuse connected to it. I just downloaded the plans and after looking closer at the pics I see Springer did an excellent job keeping everything tied together so that this would not happen.
Feb 04, 2019, 05:37 PM
UCD, nice looking design and nice flying. Iíve been playing with the blended / box wing as well. I based mine off a design by synergy corporation. Super stable plane.
Feb 04, 2019, 06:50 PM
skumgummi dave
jpot1:

Wow what a beauty! I hope you have a plan to share with us. That is one of my favorite aircraft. Have you flown it yet?

Dave-

Quick Reply