Apr 24, 2019, 01:51 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
I was wanting to build one of those with ailerons inboard ( Im lazy and like simple connections) but was afraid it would not have enough authority, good to know it works. When I get to doing one tho it will have a speedy motor because it looks like something that should be tearing up the sky to me.
On the Sprimbo I'm thinking of building another and ditching the canard and use elevons only just to see what it will do, expecting a different type of flight, probably not as smooth. May do a 24-26 incher for fun, I have some smallish motors and batteries I need to use in something.
to remove ads between posts
May 10, 2019, 11:46 AM
Working on the 26 incher now, and trying something new for me. Im giving this an airfoil type wing to give it a smoother look. Trusses, formers, etc. are not in my vocabulary so I'm just winging it. I didnt get the pleasure of working on balsa planes like alot of you guys, and since it's a small plane it probably isn't a big priority to be done correctly anyways. The fact that it's also such an odd shape wing doesn't help me do it right in the first place either.
I have some kinda soft, very lightweight foam that I'm using to help keep the shape of the airfoil and using cheap bamboo for the spars.
Also, I can do another thread if you don't want me cluttering up this one Mike, just let me know.
May 10, 2019, 02:11 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
I'm ok with keeping it here, it's still a blended/joined wing even without the operating Canard. Should be an interesting flyer. Carry On!
May 10, 2019, 03:06 PM
Oops, forgot to mention Im keeping the operational canard on this one with a servo inside the fuse.
May 10, 2019, 05:29 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
Even better!
May 10, 2019, 07:15 PM
looks interesting, would like to hear more about it, I finally broke down and built another canard but the esc and motor fried, so waiting for the replacement would like to get it flying here at home
May 10, 2019, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slam555
looks interesting, would like to hear more about it, I finally broke down and built another canard but the esc and motor fried, so waiting for the replacement would like to get it flying here at home
I'll keep updating as I go with more pics...if I remember to...not much to see tho, just basic plane build. But sometimes when others build I see something that looks or sounds like a good idea that I've never seen and I'd like to try also. With motors getting so cheap I've collected a few over the years as they went on sale so I have a few to choose from, just maybe not the best one to use for the plane but it gets me back in the air at least.
May 13, 2019, 09:02 AM
Got the canard installed. Did it the hard way but still looks good, the inside servo and horn will be nice and hidden.
On a negative side tho, I ended up putting a twist in the fuse while building...wasn't paying enough attention. Will try to cut and glue some relief and try to straighten it out, if not, I guess another fuse will have to be done.
May 13, 2019, 09:33 AM
treefinder
Thread OP
Ba-na-na, ba-na-nana! O potatoe.. .
May 13, 2019, 11:34 AM
yeah, yeah,. I did cut some reliefs and did some sanding on the opposite side and produced a usable fuse, so I can now continue with the electronic placement for the balancing and fitment. Not alot of space in there, how do the micro builders seem to do it all so easily?
May 13, 2019, 12:54 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
ya got me, I have no idea how they can cram all that stuff into tiny fuses!
May 16, 2019, 06:01 AM
Getting closer to finishing. Wing loading isn't going be as good as the larger one but I believe it'll still fly good even for its size. The motor I was going to use was kaput, so Im having to use another on hand, a little bit larger, about 10 grams more so I'll probably have to use a larger battery to balance it....we'll see. Anyways fuse came out straighter than I had hoped it would, everything lined up pretty good.
May 17, 2019, 09:11 AM
Finished....Cleaner lines now with almost everything hidden, couldn't get the servos all the way within the wings...wasn't enough cavity space.
May 17, 2019, 10:29 AM
treefinder
Thread OP
VERY NICE! Will be interesting to see if airfoil strengthens the overall structure. Ready for maiden?
May 17, 2019, 11:23 AM
The way I test structural strength is by crashing, I'm gonna try to avoid that if I can . To be honest, since I really don't know how to build a proper airframe I'm not sure if it's any stronger. I will check for the stress cracks that occurred on previous builds of this plane on the "hard" landings I had and see if they are located in the same areas if I oopsie this one.
Ready for maiden, but we have another small storm coming up and the winds are above 15 mph till Sunday. And since it's such a small plane Im going to wait, supposed be under 10 by then.

Quick Reply