Mar 13, 2019, 07:58 AM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Good to hear it fly. I'm still giving the original design with the joined wings hope. With the changes I made I really like how it looks even more then before. I'm not expecting a great maiden and I'm sure I didn't make the nose long enough to balance the cg with the battery (added some lead just in case) but I think it'll fly decent due to the previous testings and adjustments. Just need to add horns and a hatch and (some decent weather) and we'll see.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 13, 2019, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucdesign2010
Mike, thanks for beautiful plans .
I prefer BW32,maybe build one someday.
Where is the C.G of BW32 ?
if possible please send me where the cg is thanks
Mar 13, 2019, 09:13 AM
treefinder
Thread OP
My CG is 4" aft of the motor mount. On the first page of the thread, it is mentioned in the post with all the pics of the build. Gonna try one?
Mar 13, 2019, 05:30 PM
yeah I'm always looking for something different to fly. how does it handle the wind we fly mostly outdoors here
Mar 13, 2019, 07:49 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
I maidened mine in 5mph winds. As long as they aren't gusty, the 19gm Hextronik motor and 7x6 prop handled the wind fine. It is so light that gusts can bounce it and lose the smooth way it turns, though. I just made the tiled pdf for a 48" span version - gonna have a KFM4 wing, probably ailerons and landing gear. we'll see how that one handles the wind!
Mar 13, 2019, 08:12 PM
treefinder
Thread OP

Canard 32

for those who may be interested, I reverse engineered the canard and posting the templates below. In order to reduce the paper and taping of tiled sheets, I didn't duplicate any of the parts, so one will have to cut two sides, and KFM steps and two pair of wingtips. The top and bottom are just 1 3/8" wide strips, but I cut them so that i could skin the nose from the TE of the canard wing on top around to the battery hatch on bottom, and the piece from main wing to hatch on bottom. That way I had access to the aft top of fuse to install aileron servo and linkage, esc and wires and get everything hooked up, the RX being in the aft part of the battery compartment. The battery sits forward of the hatch in front of the short wall. So far that has been fine, no CG shifting and no ejection. The Canard wing is CF 3mm round with a servo horn epoxied to it for a control horn. It's servo lays on side, in pocket through the wing and fuse top (I laminated another layer of foam below it so the servo pocket has a bottom - do that before closing up the forward area!) The access top mounting provides is great and probably needed for adjustment, but is susceptible to be bumped when flipping the plan on it's back to inset lipo. Maybe in future I should make that wing a mid fuse location and hide the servo/linkage again - under a removable hatch.

The fuse has an inflection point on top that locates the hinge line of the canard wing. I need to show that on a drawing, which I'll add later. You can probably pick it up, though. The aft fuse top is a straight line, inflects to another straight line for the wing, then starts the nose curves.
Mar 13, 2019, 09:13 PM
Finished it up tonight.
Mar 13, 2019, 11:56 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
That'll fly...
Mar 14, 2019, 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers
That'll fly...
It'll fly, but will it fly good?
Only some small easy to fix concerns if needed. I think the vertical should be bigger and maybe make the front of the fuse longer for better cg adjustment, otherwise I do have a good feeling about this version. Now all I need is for those 20 -30 mph winds to go away and maiden it, storms after storms this month.
I am going wait for more time on the clock and drive out to my bigger flying area without the trees and be able to take it up higher for more time to attempt to correct issues before it can hit the ground.
Mar 14, 2019, 07:19 AM
(Deleted double post)
Last edited by Timbo383; Mar 14, 2019 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Double post
Mar 14, 2019, 08:31 AM
treefinder
Thread OP
Excellent! Staying true to the program!
Mar 14, 2019, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
Excellent! Staying true to the program!
Well, at least one of us has to, I heard the OP gave up. ......I just think it looks to cool not to keep trying.
Mar 14, 2019, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
for those who may be interested, I reverse engineered the canard and posting the templates below. In order to reduce the paper and taping of tiled sheets, I didn't duplicate any of the parts, so one will have to cut two sides, and KFM steps and two pair of wingtips. The top and bottom are just 1 3/8" wide strips, but I cut them so that i could skin the nose from the TE of the canard wing on top around to the battery hatch on bottom, and the piece from main wing to hatch on bottom. That way I had access to the aft top of fuse to install aileron servo and linkage, esc and wires and get everything hooked up, the RX being in the aft part of the battery compartment. The battery sits forward of the hatch in front of the short wall. So far that has been fine, no CG shifting and no ejection. The Canard wing is CF 3mm round with a servo horn epoxied to it for a control horn. It's servo lays on side, in pocket through the wing and fuse top (I laminated another layer of foam below it so the servo pocket has a bottom - do that before closing up the forward area!) The access top mounting provides is great and probably needed for adjustment, but is susceptible to be bumped when flipping the plan on it's back to inset lipo. Maybe in future I should make that wing a mid fuse location and hide the servo/linkage again - under a removable hatch.

The fuse has an inflection point on top that locates the hinge line of the canard wing. I need to show that on a drawing, which I'll add later. You can probably pick it up, though. The aft fuse top is a straight line, inflects to another straight line for the wing, then starts the nose curves.
I don't know about most of you but I do need the cg and what size battery your using
Mar 14, 2019, 10:33 AM
Oh yeah, side note Mike. I added the profile style canopy to hopefully restrict some of the yawing problem. I think I read somewhere one time that canopies help with that problem, but I could be ( ok, most likely be )wrong.
Mar 17, 2019, 02:04 PM
What do you know, it flew....
Video not the greatest, but it shows the potential of this plane.

Spimbo, a scratchbuilt blended wing rc plane. (3 min 7 sec)
Last edited by Timbo383; Mar 18, 2019 at 09:20 AM.

Quick Reply