PSALM 14:1
Maiden flight planned for next week?
Latest blog entry: Swap
to remove ads between posts
Jan 11, 2019, 06:03 PM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey
Thanks Sammy70, thought I would trim it a little .. just coloured packaging tape

Lockey
Lockey that looks awesome mate!
Bet it flys just as well..
Good luck with the maiden..
Jan 11, 2019, 06:30 PM
Retired CAD guy
Duke,

I thought of you when I saw this design

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...pt-space-plane
Jan 11, 2019, 07:37 PM
Yes mate. I found and built it years ago..... well.... year an a half...........

Mine didn't look as good as Timbos though
Jan 12, 2019, 04:01 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Well guys, did the maiden ... s today .. Fly .. Crash .. Repair .... Fly .. Crash .. Repair .... Fly .. Crash .. Repair .... Fly .. Crash .. Repair .. I was determined to get her to fly today as we have wind for the rest of the week

I did eventually get her flying .. it was WAY too nose heavy, no elevator .. broke the wings, winglets, front .. (Yes David it will have to have a new nose ) but kept persevering until I eventually got her flying not too bad

Needs a lot more incidence on the canards, maybe the elevators a bit bigger and the GC still further back, motor I think needs a couple of washers under the bottom of the mount as the motor/prop seems to be angled slightly up and I found it was climbing on full throttle and dropping its nose quite a but on half throttle

SO ... back to the drawing board with this one for now and some repairs .. and ... Duke, the bloody nose wheel took a hammering .. ran out of battery on the last flight ..(well, the only flight really) and it came in really heavy .. ran out of elevator on the dead stick landing

I am wondering if I should mix the canard elevators with elevons ??

Video/s tomorrow

Think the CG is nearer to my WRONG calculation than it was with the right one

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Jan 12, 2019 at 04:13 AM.
Jan 12, 2019, 04:15 AM
Lots of determination for this one then hey mate.....?
Good to see you prevailed
Jan 12, 2019, 08:03 AM
When cows fly!
Fun times! Keep at it
Jan 12, 2019, 11:39 PM
Here is the maiden

Lockey

Long Ez Maiden (6 min 55 sec)
Jan 12, 2019, 11:54 PM
Well I've gotta stop yelling at the screen... I don't think you can hear me! lol...
Nose heavy.... Great he's moving the battery,,,, FORWARD!! NOOOOO!!.... Crash... DAMM!

All I can say is .. the 3d printing bits held up very well indeed! especially the L/G.
A little frustration there I could imagine mate? Don't worry, your gonna get it right and she'll fly like a bird
Jan 12, 2019, 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukejet
Well I've gotta stop yelling at the screen... I don't think you can hear me! lol...
Nose heavy.... Great he's moving the battery,,,, FORWARD!! NOOOOO!!.... Crash... DAMM!

All I can say is .. the 3d printing bits held up very well indeed! especially the L/G.
A little frustration there I could imagine mate? Don't worry, your gonna get it right and she'll fly like a bird
Yes mate, each time I flew it (or tried) I had moved the battery a bit further back, the last flight I used a smaller battery and moved it as far back as I could and maybe could go back even more .. I will repair and start again

Lockey
Jan 13, 2019, 12:00 AM
Good stuff mate. Will be good to see it do as it's told
Jan 13, 2019, 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukejet
Good stuff mate. Will be good to see it do as it's told
Yes it will Duke

You know ... I'm not a big fan of trike gear (cos as you say .. I tend to come in a little steep) I would much rather tail dragger, maybe I will fit a different motor, 6" prop and change it to a tail dragger

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Jan 13, 2019 at 04:17 AM.
Jan 13, 2019, 12:54 AM
Sokol
Congrats ! You get the prize for commitment and perseverance! just a little more tuning and it will fly like an angel...
Jan 13, 2019, 06:46 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
If the CG is spot on , then the canard does not have enough authority to lift the nose …. Bigger canard , or lots of THROW…
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jan 13, 2019, 09:27 AM
Plane looks great and you'll get it worked out, as usual.

Yep, at the scale you're at (pretty small), Reynolds number will make such a narrow chord canard very minimally effective. Lots of throw will not necessarily help - in fact, because of the narrow chord, large deflections may cause canard stall too readily - making the problem even worse.
Add LOTS of chord and keep deflection reasonable - that way you'll get lots of authority and won't stall the canard (and you can keep the CG where its at).
Furthermore, I suspect this plane is somewhat higher in wing loading than your usual models - again, making the whole situation less forgiving.

I know I keep on harping on this Reynolds number thing, so just to give you an idea of how drastically it affects things, see the attached image (it's not for your airfoil, but it illustrates the point).
So , since Reynolds number is linearly affected by chord (among other things) - so for example, if you double your chord you'll double your Reynolds number. So if you're down in the low ranges, where lift coefficient is about 0.6, doubling your chord will give you a lift coefficient of about 1.0 - that's a HUGE improvement of 40%.
Anyway, I think you get the idea...
Last edited by nuteman; Jan 13, 2019 at 09:58 AM.

Quick Reply