Dec 18, 2018, 08:07 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
I think everyone is right ... 3D printing is much too heavy for OUR models .. MAYBE the fuselage but definitely not the wings and tailplane ..

That said ... I remember back in the 80s when I used to build airplanes in balsa and ply, solid foam wings covered in balsa planks and never gave much thought to the weight

These days I do think we are a little over obsessed with weight .. yes its good to build a light model BUT in Perth we have a lot of wind and light airplanes don't much like the wind, slightly heavier planes do fly better in the wind ..

IMHO .. by far the best way to make wings is definitely the roll over method with 5 or 6mm foam sheet and formers with maybe a balsa or CF spar .. very light, very strong and very efficient and I have proved they can be made quite easily in either undercamber .. flat bottom .. semi or fully symmetrical

Just my 2c worth

Yes gpw, just imagine being able to print foam

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Dec 18, 2018 at 08:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 19, 2018, 05:33 AM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
Hey guys! I would like to wish all the contributors a Merry Christmas and a happy new year
Been a very slow year building for me .. But will have bells- on from here on.. Safe holidays!!
Dec 19, 2018, 05:35 AM
David I'm missing your snow topped mountain photos... 38degC at 80% humidity here ATM
Dec 19, 2018, 09:20 AM
Merry Christmas Duke and all you guys .. hope you all have a great festive season

Lockey
Dec 19, 2018, 03:55 PM
Retired CAD guy
Merry Christmas Right back at you ;^}

50F - 10C and 50% Hum today.

No vid yet but I actually Maidened the Vixen today !

At least I got er dun b4 Christmas !
Dec 19, 2018, 04:16 PM
No video!........ didn't happen

Dec 19, 2018, 06:36 PM
Retired CAD guy
Give it about an hour for the upload ... sheeeeez !

Patience PA Leez !
Dec 19, 2018, 09:51 PM
Lol....hahahaha..

Ok...
Dec 19, 2018, 10:04 PM
Retired CAD guy
Good on ya !

Yeah It's up now on Lockeys Vixen Thread.
Dec 20, 2018, 05:19 AM
Well I did decide to make a small model of the Long EZ and was very surprised that the CG had to be quite a bit further back

Anyway here is the link to my smaller model https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post40722185

This seems to be where the CG needs to be (back lines ... front lines are where I thought it had to be)

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Dec 20, 2018 at 05:56 AM.
Dec 20, 2018, 06:32 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Those swept wings move the CG rearward … as compared to straight wings ...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Dec 20, 2018, 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Those swept wings move the CG rearward … as compared to straight wings ...
Exactly same as the bigger one gpw, except smaller

Lockey
Dec 21, 2018, 05:34 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
L’ , we found once establishing the best CG for Glide by test gliding , the actual Flying CG was usually ever so slightly forward of that … just a wee bit ! ( what we found ! )
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Dec 21, 2018, 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
L’ , we found once establishing the best CG for Glide by test gliding , the actual Flying CG was usually ever so slightly forward of that … just a wee bit ! ( what we found ! )
Thanks mate, will bear that in mind

Lockey
Dec 21, 2018, 10:19 AM
When cows fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukejet
David I'm missing your snow topped mountain photos... 38degC at 80% humidity here ATM
The weather is supposed to be very nice next week and I promised myself that I would put away the ranch work(off for the week from the paying job) and get a flight in or two! I will post videos, even if it is only the Storch. Merry Christmas from the Cold Ass Ranch!

David

Quick Reply