Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 16, 2018, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey
Got it before I moved (about 9 months ago) just got it set up a few days ago Duke and been playing with it a bit .. did a couple of pilots .. lots of free gear here .. https://www.thingiverse.com .. try doing a search .. for instance, put in SERVO and you will get a million things come up

Lockey
If you printed those pilots as a front and back half, you could vacuum form over them to make super lightweight figures.

I'm finding one of the greatest use of the 3D printer is to make precise or complex tooling for lighter weight construction techniques.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 16, 2018, 06:40 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by tspeer
If you printed those pilots as a front and back half, you could vacuum form over them to make super lightweight figures.

I'm finding one of the greatest use of the 3D printer is to make precise or complex tooling for lighter weight construction techniques.
It is one of the problems, its a little on the heavy side .. I am still learning and I hope to make hollow models (just skin, no infill) to keep the weight down

Lockey
Dec 16, 2018, 07:23 PM
Retired CAD guy
With Simplyfy3d there is a setting called Vase Mode which imply a thin wall single perimeter.

There is also a setting for where each pass starts from.
Then you have to get the temps and flows right so there are no gaps.
Sometimes it has to do with Retraction and restart distances as well.
Dec 17, 2018, 01:03 AM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
Great to follow your builds mate. You give tones of build pics that keep us salivating
Dec 17, 2018, 08:49 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Very NICE already !!! One might suggest not to risk your exemplary work, the idea of a second very simple profile model (scraps chuck glider) of same proportions, to work out the CG through a series of "test glides" … Many times we depended on formulas and “the Math” only to find in flight we were still Tail heavy
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Dec 17, 2018, 09:23 AM
Sokol
I had the problem of heavy torque on launch with my RichModel Long EZ , just miraculously saved in this video. I like this local place , as when I hand launch I have instant elevation by tossing onto the cliff ...OTOH , as all pushers , is a bit noisy for the neighborhood location.

Long EZ Canard Airplane Movie (1 min 49 sec)
Last edited by JureZ; Dec 17, 2018 at 09:42 AM.
Dec 17, 2018, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Very NICE already !!! One might suggest not to risk your exemplary work, the idea of a second very simple profile model (scraps chuck glider) of same proportions, to work out the CG through a series of "test glides" … Many times we depended on formulas and “the Math” only to find in flight we were still Tail heavy
You know gpw, I might just do that .. as a mater of fact, this one was really inspired by this guy .. Maz Xu ..
PowerUp a Mini Long-EZ (2 min 13 sec)
flying a small Long EZ powered by one of these .. https://www.poweruptoys.com/products...-dart-standard .. so much so, I orderd one to play with and intend to build a small profile model EZ to use with the power pod and this could also be used to test the CofG

Hey JureZ, thanks for the video mate, that thing is pretty quick

Lockey
Dec 18, 2018, 07:12 AM
Thought I would print a rounded hatch/cockpit for the EZ

Lockey
Dec 18, 2018, 10:09 AM
Retired CAD guy
Nice print job !
All Single perimeter I presume.

I use a lot of Skirt for good hold down as well ;^}
Dec 18, 2018, 10:51 AM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
You'll be printing the whole bloody plane soon mate!! LOL

Jealous....
Dec 18, 2018, 11:59 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Can we print foam yet ??? Imagine that eh ?
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Dec 18, 2018, 01:41 PM
Printed isn't overly successful, Fanboys aside. Heavy brittle airframes result and the printing time is Glacial.
It's been fairly common for some years now to use CNC routers to carve out entire airframes..( Inside and outside resulting in shells) from Billet blocks of foam.
Does make a helluva mess tho .. the resulting static charged foam snowstorm Needs a decent tenting arrangement to contain it.. mostly.
Dec 18, 2018, 07:16 PM
Retired CAD guy
Totally agreed , BARE !

It takes me weeks to get all the particles sucked up !
Everything is pink ! see pix of XB-70 below. early attempts on my part.

A good VAC pickup RIGHT AT THE ROUTER is the best way to
keep things "partly" under control.

100% 3Dprinted planes are a Fools errand IMHO.

Fuselages with lots of Sculpting are good subjects but WINGS, IMHO , are best made of Foam !

Quick Reply