Dec 14, 2018, 09:52 AM
Born again RC'er
Thread OP
Discussion

RedCat Gen8 for a Noob crawer?

So crawling is one side of the hobby I have not tried. Banggood sent me that ZZ2003 a while back, and I had fun with that, before it broke... Twice...

But onward thru the fog - Now I am thinking of getting a new Crawler. Not really interested in the Remo's and other Gearbest/Banggood crawlers as a first crawler - I'd rather have something a bit more mainstream.

Would I be crazy to go for a Gen8 as my first crawler? Would all the unknowns that getting a new platform has, on top of general noobnish, make this a bad idea? Or should I just join the crowds with a Ascender, or a ACX10II or a Wraith or a (shutter)TRX4? I've also been looking at the Gen7, and I think I would be fine with the out of the box mods it needs, but I worry if it will be around much longer with the Gen8 arriving soon.

Thanks-
Jerry
to remove ads between posts
Dec 17, 2018, 02:12 AM
Crawling is definitely a really different side of RC...lots of fun though.

I am looking at getting a "real" 1/10 scale crawler as well...I have a HG 4x4 and a 6x6. Both fun trucks but not the most reliable unfortunately. Also a 1/5 Maxstone, but it is HUGE and can't be thrown in the back of the car and taken with me as easily.

BigSquidRC did a crawler shootout a little while ago. I will try and find a link. I am spoiling the result here, but the TRAXXAS crawler managed to win over some really well known names. I am on a few FB pages that talk a lot about crawlers and those guys lost their minds when the Traxxas won it was hilarious

With that said, there are a lot of choices out there for sure and I am having a tough time deciding too. There is a Axial "builders kit" that has a frame, but you add electronics, body, wheels, etc. It is $199. If it is on eBay, you could buy it with 15% off coupon when they put one out again for what, $170? Half the fun with crawling for me is the customizing, so that would be really cool. I'd love to build a 2.2" crawler with a truck body of some sort...it would be really fun.

Quick price breakdown (bear in mind I'm doing the lower cost stuff...guys spend literally $1000s on 1/10 crawlers):

- tires 1.9" $40
- servo $20
- body depends on what kind, there is a paint your own Jeep body on eBay for like $20
- radio receiver (assuming you have a multimemory radio) $10
- cheap $20 GoolRC motor/esc combo

Now you are at about $310 (no coupon from eBay), but you'd have decent stuff on the truck and know it was done correctly.

I will probably go that route as I have almost all of that stuff laying around extra.

If money was no issue, I'd buy a Bronco TRX4 tomorrow. It looks amazing and performs even better from what I've seen online.

As for the Gen8, I'd wait a little to see what issues is might have. The Gen7 PRO also looks really nice.

There are SO many 1/10 crawlers out there it's hard to make a decision.

Forgot to mention that RedCat racing also makes the Everest 10, but it isn't scale looking like the others I mentioned. It's a solid truck according to guys on Facebook. Also there are 1/8 crawlers (just bigger scaled of the Everest 10) that are pretty sweet.

If you want to crawl up anything, get a Exceed Maxstone 1/5...it will literally crawl up my front porch stairs. It is huge though and turns like a boat (you can add rear wheel steer), but the stuff it goes over makes it worth it.

If you are ever planning on taking your crawler to crawler courses, I think you'll have to get a 1/10, as the courses aren't set up for 1/8.

Hope this helps!!
Dec 17, 2018, 12:32 PM
For somebody like yourself who is already familiar with working on RC, I think the Gen8 would be a great truck. I've got the portals on my Gen7 and they work very well. My one concern with the truck would be addressing any yet-to-be-seen weaknesses that it has. With Axial, there are a million aftermarket fixes for any shortcoming, but with this truck, it will be more of a DIY type of thing in all liklihood. Because of this, the Gen8 might not be the best option for a beginner, but since you're already well versed in things RC, you won't have that issue. I think it will be a great first crawler for somebody in your situation.
Dec 17, 2018, 03:23 PM
The Mad Titan
Decide what you think you're going to use it for (mainly) and then research which does that best.
Are you literally going to try and crawl vertically up rocks, go on trails where you'll encounter a mix of obstacles, bring it along on walks with your wife (which is what I do with my SCX10 II)? The main thing to think about is how the diffs/transmission work. My SCX10 II is single speed transmission, everything is locked, and that's that. The higher end Traxxas crawlers let you change all of that on the fly with the radio, just in case you don't want to wait 5 minutes for it to cross the street to your next crawling location, LOL.

Honestly, unless you're planning to compete in competition, I don't think you can go wrong with anything at this point.
Dec 17, 2018, 03:38 PM
Love the pic DC1138

I agree, there are really no terrible options out there for backyard crawling. Really a matter of picking the one you like the looks of best.

Grab a snack and read through this. Great read on 1.9 shootout. Pretty much every popular RTR is included. http://www.bigsquidrc.com/1-9-scale-crawler-shootout/

Speaking of the gear change on the fly thing, it is pretty fun to do. My HG crawlers have the option using a 3rd channel and micro servo. I installed it to shift between high/low gear...no locking or unlocking diffs or anything, but it is fun to be in the high gear and cruise at a jogging speed then shift down to low and crawl. It will crawl in high gear of course, just low gear gets over more stuff.
Dec 17, 2018, 05:13 PM
Born again RC'er
Thread OP
Thanks ya'll-

That big Squid shootout was interesting. That the Redcat Gen7 got 2nd overall was a surprise - I keep reading it is a good budget crawler, but I was just expecting it to hang with the Ascender and SCXII, not beat them... LOL I guess it didn't beat them in the pure crawling category, but that is OK, I suspect I will mostly be a trail runner.

The Ascender is starting to turn my head too. Seems I am reading it is pretty good out of the box. Plus the BND with the Ford body is the same price as the Gen7 Pro? Hummm...
Dec 18, 2018, 11:14 AM
The ascender is a proven design. It has its share of issues (mainly torque twist), but it's well known and there are improvements that can be made to help minimize it.
Dec 19, 2018, 10:22 AM
Born again RC'er
Thread OP
Was watching this one last night -
COMPING with a RTR RC TRUCK? The Vaterra Ascender enters Class 2 (8 min 39 sec)

Seems like the Ascender is pretty strong out of the box...
Dec 19, 2018, 09:10 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
My brother in law has had the Ascender for about a year now, and really likes it. He uses it strictly for trail running and hasn't broken anything yet. I'll be meeting up with him after the first of the year with my Remo Hobby truck to hit the trails, and am excited to see how well, or how poorly my truck does compared to his.
Dec 24, 2018, 09:56 PM
Jerry, did you ever make any decisions??

One other option I forgot to mention is the TRX Sport, not as expensive as the TRX 4, but still very capable from what I've seen!
Dec 24, 2018, 10:17 PM
Since the Gen 8 RedCat is not yet in the hands of users it is difficult for anyone to say exactly what it is like. It may be a nice rig but it will not have the parts support that others like the SCX10ii, Ascender or TRX4 currently have.
Dec 26, 2018, 10:36 AM
Born again RC'er
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead5496
Jerry, did you ever make any decisions??

One other option I forgot to mention is the TRX Sport, not as expensive as the TRX 4, but still very capable from what I've seen!

Probably won't make a decision till maybe February. Maybe a bit earlier if I end up selling my Hobao SCT. That was part 2 to what prompted this thread. I was having fun with my YY2003, and about the same time, started working a trade for my SCT for a crawler. Trade fell thru, but that started the wheels turning.. LOL I have a big trip coming up, once I am back from that, I will start focusing on the crawler, and maybe trading or selling the SCT.
Jan 01, 2019, 01:56 PM
I'm curious about the Danchee Ridgerock..mainly why there's almost no buzz about it anywhere on the internets ?
Jan 01, 2019, 02:14 PM
This?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-10-DANCHE...-/382602758345

There is likely no buzz because it does not have any parts support, or if it does it is very small.

I looked at it in the past but it looks more toy grade to me. The dual steering is cool however.
Jan 01, 2019, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead5496
This?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-10-DANCHE...-/382602758345

There is likely no buzz because it does not have any parts support, or if it does it is very small.

I looked at it in the past but it looks more toy grade to me. The dual steering is cool however.
ok. I'm new to this generation of rc carsb ut I thought Redcat was considered an ok supplier. I see this page for parts..

http://www.redcatracing.com/RidgeRoc...t#cv=RIDGEROCK

are they not reliable ?

I get it's toy grade but that's why it's $99. Is this a bad forum for toy grade ?

Quick Reply