Apr 07, 2019, 06:54 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Thread OP
Congrats to the podium finishers!!!
The first 6 finishers got special trophies (framed group pictures)
  1. Richard Proseus - well done, consistent flying
  2. Maarten Broess
  3. Dave Malkin
  4. Stoil Avramov - our junior USA team pilot
  5. Dave Reisinger
  6. Brady Baggs
Huge thanks to David Beach for doing the scoring and the digital timer

Huge thanks to our lunch ladies for the best ever contest lunches that you can taste, and cookies! including gluten free cookies!!!

Thank you all pilots for coming!
Please come again to our Fall event.

-----------

We had another major weather delay this morning unfortunately due to fog. It lifted only after 10 am and we started flying by 10:30 approximately. So we lost at least 2 rounds if not 3 today
Still we got in a good amount of flying done, and people seemed satisfied at the end.

The detailed scores on on http://www.gliderscore.com/OnLineScores.aspx
Find our contest and browse the scores there if you have not been following the scores online.

I was doing a lot of video recording in hopes of making a movie file about the contest. We'll see how it comes out, if I find enough time for it. Not too many pictures because of the video recording. A little distracting too, hope I did not bother pilots with my phone.

I wasn't quite on my game again this contest, as you can see from my 2 zeros. A bit too much risk or not good enough decision making. Yesterday late afternoon it was very tough at times. Several groups/rounds we had very tricky lift, very light or none. And launching low was really not a good idea
I promise to do better next time

--
to remove ads between posts
Apr 07, 2019, 08:25 PM
RCG Admin
Awesome guys! Looks like a blast. Hopefully I can make the next one.
Apr 07, 2019, 08:36 PM
USA, SC, Lexington
Thanks Oleg, Dave and the DESS team for another great event. Itís a lot of work running an event and trying to compete also. My hat is off to you all.
As far as the wx delays go, it gave us or me some time to get to know other pilots.
Oleg you and your camera/phone are a welcome distraction as this allows others to see what a nice event this is.
And thanks to the Kennedys I got to see the largest John Deer tractor up close and personal.
Looking forward to the next one.
Apr 08, 2019, 08:21 AM
Great job DESS crew! Had a great time competing against some very skilled pilots. I'm always in awe of the pilots that fly in these competitions. You guys make it look so easy! Looking forward to your Fall contest. Good luck Oleg and Stoil this Summer.

Thanks,
Duane
Apr 08, 2019, 01:36 PM
Team Hello Kitty

Tour standings updated

The F5J USA Tour season standings are now updated with this event and available via this page.

It was fun following along online. Thanks for all the pics and posts!

Chris
www.f5j-usa.com
Last edited by SoaringDude; Apr 09, 2019 at 11:26 AM.
Apr 08, 2019, 03:26 PM
Service Engine Soon
It's always a win to have a weekend to relax, be with good friends and have fun flying model planes. I always learn more about F5J every contest. This time, I was to aggressive going to low or just missing the lift off to one side or the other.
Apr 08, 2019, 08:32 PM
Maarten
Again an excellent organized contest by the DESS crew. If only they could control the weather.
I had a fantastic weekend and it was great to see all my sailplane friends again after a long winter.
Hanging out with Ben, Dave Malkin and the Avramov's on Saturday after the contest was certainly the high light. Fun Fun Fun.

After last year's flying season I sold all my planes and bought Explorers for the 2019 season. This all on advice from Ben. It was blind faith. How can any plane be better than an Ultima or a Volo?
Fast forward ... Maidened the Explorer this weekend and I instantly connected with this plane. This was probably the most consistent contest I have flown. A big thanks to Ben for helping me with the set-up and doing all the hard work in getting the perfect trim settings.

Congratulations to Dick for the win and not playing it safe on Sunday. Lesson learned
Thank you Brady for driving me to the airport. Much appreciated!!
I hope to be back next time.

Cheers Maarten
Apr 08, 2019, 08:48 PM
Jody Miller
Way to go Dick! Nice work, your the man.
Apr 09, 2019, 04:34 AM
Thanks so much for the support in our off road adventure Saturday morning; Yes Wayne that was the biggest tractor I've ever seen too; and this country boy has seen a lot of tractors.
I think it's only right that Dick has to take the lunch ladies out to there their favorite restaurant for all their hard work. Congrats Mr. Proseus.
Well worth the trip seeing old friends and meeting new ones. Somewhat distracted and couldn't get head in the game on Saturday. Flew well on Sunday with new airplane (3.8 X) and like this format more and more ever contest I fly. Oleg and crew did a great job pulling it together. Thanks again, I'll be back. Got to go clean some mud off my rig. JK
Apr 10, 2019, 10:10 AM
Interesting stats. Thanks for posting.

Still pinching myself for how well I flew this event. I was seldom out of my comfort zone during the flights and with the exception of my drop round felt I was in lift or had just flown through lift before letting the 30 sec motor run time out or I cut off. All the weekends of practice to help get Oleg in shape for the WC have had a positive effect. Brady said it earlier and the DESS guys that have been participating have benefited. I hope we continue. (It is also lots of fun.)

I have bonded well with my plane and its capabilities. The last tweak that has made a difference was the use of 8.5 degree tip joiners. The plane is much easier to turn and is more stable. This is a tremendous help at distance and in light lift to allow smooth thermalling with no hiccups.

Thank you to all the pilots that participated. You all made the event the great time that it was. I think everyone got enough flying and all the social time waiting on weather was really a bonus.

Dick

Quick Reply