Dec 13, 2018, 11:09 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Thread OP
Contest

East Coast Spring F5J Festival 2019, April 6-7, Farmville, NC

Down East Soaring Society is pleased to announce the
2-nd annual East Coast Spring F5J Festival!
  • This is an F5J USA Tour and Eastern Soaring League event and will be conducted in accordance
    with USA Tour rules and guidelines, and FAI F5J rules.
  • Each model flown must be equipped with an approved F5J limiter.
    Currently approved limiters are listed here.
  • Per USA Tour rules motor restarts will be allowed but will result in a zero flight
  • Camping is allowed on the field!
  • Field open for fun flying and warm-ups on Friday, April 5, 2019
  • F5J tasks on Saturday and Sunday, April 6-7, 2019, scored as one continuous event
  • Expert and Novice classes, awards for 1-6 places in Expert and 1st in Novice
  • Best 30% of pilots - up to 6 pilots - will go into the Fly-offs
  • Entry fee $60
  • Shirts - $20 (to be decided)
  • Lunch (donations appreciated) on Saturday and Sunday
  • Pilots meeting 8:30am Saturday, 8:00am Sunday
  • Last preliminary round starts no later than 1:00pm on Sunday

Contest director - Oleg Golovidov.

Register here: East-Coast-Spring-F5J-Festival-2019 registration form

Pilot roster: East-Coast-Spring-F5J-Festival-2019 pilots

Google map of the field:

We will be posting more information as it becomes available.
Watch this thread for more announcements!

Last edited by olgol; Mar 25, 2019 at 09:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 14, 2018, 11:40 AM
Signed up! Hoping for better contest weather next season!

Dave R.
Dec 14, 2018, 12:04 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Thread OP
Dave, thanks for your support!
We will make sure to send the good weather fee in advance this year. So no worries.
Dec 14, 2018, 04:19 PM
Looking forward to another great contest, some great eastern Carolina barbeque and some of Dick’s wife’s famous lemon cookies.
Dec 14, 2018, 04:41 PM
Jeff Carr
We’ll worth attending. This was my first F5J contest. Nice field with good competition

Excited to come

Jeff
Dec 17, 2018, 11:23 AM
Last Contest was fun.
Can't wait.

Russ
Dec 17, 2018, 08:24 PM
If I can keep my 4M superlight out of the trees between now and then, I'm going to camp on the field for this one. Maybe I can bring some other Florida folks along with me and I expect to see some of you guys down here in St Augustine in March.
John K.
Dec 18, 2018, 09:00 AM
Oleg Golovidov
Thread OP
Thanks for the registrations guys.
I enjoy the game you are playing with the entry form and model names.
Keep it going please
Dec 19, 2018, 05:30 AM
USA, SC, Lexington
Looking forward to it guys. See ya in April.
Dec 20, 2018, 06:24 PM
Service Engine Soon
In.
Dec 29, 2018, 08:28 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Thread OP
We have had a couple awesome practice days at the club field.
Hope to see more registrations coming!
We will have a great event in April.
Do not miss it!

--
Jan 07, 2019, 09:39 AM
Oleg Golovidov
Thread OP
Still hoping to see more registrations!
Please sign up if you are planning to attend!

--
Jan 12, 2019, 11:54 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Thread OP
Yet another great practice at the club field, in cold air.
The field is working excellent. Good thermals
Come on, USA pilots, sign up for the April event in North Carolina!

--
Jan 13, 2019, 02:12 PM
Service Engine Soon
As you can see in the above picture we have been playing F5J ever chance we get. Oleg has a PA speaker we just set on the flight line running the sound tracks off a old phone. It works very well and plays all day. I can also hear it very well given I have a 60% high pitch hearing loss. The idea is for Oleg to stay in top condition and even improve some in order to be ready for the worlds contest. End result and side effect we all are getting better and more important having a lot of fun doing it.
I figure if I can beat Oleg and he wins at the worlds then that means "I am the greatest." Of course if you can it means you are also. The field for the most part works well for F5J. The power lines can be intimidating but you can with skill fly under. I suggest you walk closer to the road to get a better perspective and don't take chances cutting it close if it looks close put the nose down and fly under. I only had to do that once by the way and did it once on purpose. Then one other time no way I could make it back so just did a motor save. On the west end there has been a huge area of logging/ clearing. Not that you want to put a plane in over there but if you did at least it would likely not be stuck in the trees. And if it's down wind direction adds a different feel as there not so much of a tree line thermal trigger in range in that area. But it is a good hot spot with black dirt right now. We also met the neighbor to the east with the barn. He is a super nice guy and very understanding about retrieve a plane and no guard dogs around either. The field has also improved a lot with the grass growing last summer and almost filled in now. Grading for drainage and just driving over it has helped and packed it down some. Now at least when it rains we can drive out with out getting stuck. I would like to plant some more grass and do more grading this spring as there is still an area holding water up front and like to improve the camper area also.
We are no longer having DLG contest at this location so our F5J contest are the sole money maker to help support our expense.
If anyone wants to practice we likely will be there every weekend, you can tune up and be ready.
Last edited by Brady Baggs; Jan 14, 2019 at 06:14 PM.
Jan 13, 2019, 07:06 PM
Professional sink locator
Oh man do I wish that I could be there practicing with you guys!

Quick Reply