Horizon Hobby Blade Inductrix FPV BL - Review

Here is a new brushless version of the Inductrix for FPV flight - inside and out!

Splash

Blade Inductrix FPV BL

I have flown many of the quads in the Inductrix line and was excited to receive the FPV BL version. This unit retails at $149.99. The blades are protected and that means you get a second chance while flying through tight spaces in the goggles. The meow mode on this quad quickly makes you realize that being able to flip your micro quad over is a necessity and not a luxury! I'm a huge fan of the OSD (on-screen-display). You get all the info you need and know when it's time to head back home during a backyard flight. I was able to bind my DX9 controller quickly and easily. I found the right video channel with my Fatshark goggles and was in the air super fast! This is a solid micro FPV craft that can take a hit, fly a good distance away (as shown in my video) and flip over when needed. It's just the thing for these cold winter days!

Key Features

• Brushless Motor with micro brushless 4-in-1 ESC
  • SAFE technology makes drone flying easy
  • Channel changing 25mW video transmitter
  • New durable frame design
  • 4 minute flying time

Specs

• Approximate Assembly Time: No assembly required.
  • Approximate Flight Time: 4 minutes
  • Battery: 1s 500
  • Channels: 6 Channels
  • Completion Level: Bind-N-Fly Basic
  • Flying Weight: 55 grams
  • Height: 50 mm
  • Length: 110 mm
  • Main Frame Material: Plastic
  • Main Motor Type: Brushless
  • Motor Size: 0706 15000kv
  • Width: 105 mm

In the Box

I love the simplicity and quickly going from opening the box to being in the air!

Video

Blade Inductrix FPV BL - RCGroups Review (13 min 59 sec)

Needed to Get Flying

Sure you can just fly this little quad around but this is the FPV (firs-person-video) version. I'm betting you already have what you need to fly FPV but I wanted to list what I'm using.

Batteries - You will need some lipos and I suggest you start out with 4. You will need the 1S 500mAh battery and charger. Here is a link to the needed battery.

Spektrum Transmitter - My trusty DX9 was easy to bind. Putting a little quad like this on your main TX means one less transmitter to carry around. Any Spektrum transmitter will do. I have also used my DX6e to fly the BL.

Fatshark Focal DVR - For goggles I used my current favorites the Focal DVR.

Another option is to use the 4.3 inch montior and headset. This unit also has a built-in DVR (used to record the videos in this review).

We found out real quick that one battery is not enough for real house FPVing. That means you need a real charger for all those packs. One option is the Ultra Micro-4, 4x9W, AC/DC charger.(EFLC1105A) This is a great way to charge all your packs at once or keep your packs going while your flying.

DVR Recorder - If you want to record your flight video you have a couple of options. My Focal DVRs onboarde onbard recording. For this review I used the 4.3" FPV Video Monitor with DVR SPMVM435. This is a very simple and easy way to grab video from your FPV adventures.

Channel Changing Video Transmitter

With the BL you can change the channel on your video transmitter. Your G2 Spektrum radio lets you specifically select what frequency and channel you want to be on.

Meow Mode

The Inductrix FPV BL will always land on its feet...with a flip or your arming switch. This can be on a two way or 3-way switch. This came in handy in my house excursions and while outside. I demonstrate how to do this in my review video.

FPV Video

The Inductrix FPV BL has a new CMOS camera and 25mW video transmitter. You can watch my video and see how far out I was able to get with it - from my basement to my living room, out an upstairs window and all the way to my backyard (shown in my video)!

SAFE Technology

• Angle Mode: Keeps you flying fast and in control with renowned self-leveling. This is like flying through thick air.
  • Altitude Mode: Maintains distance from ground while providing self-leveling, perfect for beginners. This is an all around great mode to fly in.
  • Agility Mode: Freshly tuned agility mode takes full advantage of the 8mm motors, with no self-leveling and full acrobatic capabilities. This will make you feel like you screaming through space!

On-Screen-Display

I remember when I had to pay $100 for a good OSD. This unit comes with it! You can adjust OSD and telemetry settings directly from your transmitter.

New Frame Design

The reengineered main frame increases the durability of the BL. With all my flying I never broke anything or even threw a prop. The canopy fully protects the camera, video transmitter, and flight controller. The airframe protects the motors and propellers from bumps and crashes.

Flying Thoughts

The brushless motors on this little unit really add some power. It will rocket across any inside area and even has power for outdoor flight. I was severely impressed with the 25mw video range (shown in my video). I flew from my basement to living room and all the way to my backyard. I did fly full-speed into a few walls and had zero issues. I used the Inductrix FPV BL with multiple transmitters and video options with total success. If you are looking for an Inductrix with added speed and authority this is the one! It is something you can bring with you to the field, on vacation, or for some backyard/living room fun!

Learn More

Head over to Horizon Hobby for more info!

RCGroups.com Review Policies

Our intent is to provide fair and unbiased reviews so that consumers can make informed decisions regarding new products. Some things you should know about our review process:

RCGroups.com review items are provided by hobby manufacturers and suppliers, some of whom may be RCGroups advertisers. Review products are sent directly to independent reviewers, chosen by RCGroups.com. RCGroups.com reviewers are not compensated by either RCGroups.com or the reviewed item's supplier. However, they are allowed to keep the review items at no charge. Published reviews reflect the opinion of the author. When a conflict arises between a review sponsor and a reviewer (which is rare), RCGroups attempts to work out a satisfactory solution for all parties. In some cases, this may mean that a finished review will go unpublished, or be subjected to editing for technical accuracy. RCGroups reserves the final say as to whether an article is fit for publication. It is always our intent to provide a place for honest and open commentary, and to put the needs of our visitors first. If you feel that something we've published is inaccurate, please let us know using the contact form.

Jan 25, 2019, 08:21 PM
Flight for life
Good review Jim T.
It is the best kept secret.
The Inductrix BL is like a Diesel Mercedes Benz.
I have mine since November and I have over 200 flights . And she flies like new.
A very solid frame for indoor flying. The camera and VTX are quite good . Like you stated in your review the 25 mW VTX is very well made with good penetration.
She is my favorite indoor flyer . I fly back to back flights and all is just fine.
Yes the Miow mod works very well. I have 2 by the way. I fly one with 2 blade per stock props.
I fly in Horizon flight mode indoor and I do rolls and flips like if I was outside.
Such a solid flyer. Frankly I am very happy with that little brushless whoop.
Each one of mine went in the drink,,,lol.
Yes one landed in a puddle of water. I shop-vac her and let her dry one day. and the other one landed in the cats big water bowl . I did the same thing , shop-vac the water out and let dry.
All is like new.
Thanks for posting.
Jan 27, 2019, 01:59 AM
Very nice write up and review. I got the Inductrix fpv+ (brushed) and am super impressed with it. Tons of fun around the house. I can imagine this one is a blast!
Jan 27, 2019, 02:59 AM
FPVito
The board on the Inductrix Brushless is one of the most garbage fcs i have ever seen. Never had I had a worst "acro" experience. That being said, put an f4 mobula7 board on those 0706's and its amazing. I call mine a "Mobulix". As for the horizon FC, i took the ph2.0 cable and trashed it that board.
Jan 27, 2019, 07:10 AM
Flight for life
Cool. As long as you are having fun. Our hobby is great because we can do mods. as we want. And thats the fondation of our hobby.
I am not a racer nor a freestyler.
Just a regular pilot that enjoys FPV flying indoor or outdoor.
Yes flips and rolls indoor in Horizon flight mode and outdoor in AS3X flight mode.
If I want more trills and speed I fly my 110 mm. or my 150 mm. on 4 S battery.
Hey the sky is the limit,,,,lol.
Good luck.
Jan 27, 2019, 03:08 PM
This might be a dumb question (or I may have missed it in the video) but does this require any programming, like on Betaflight?

As for the FC, I don't know about that, but for the casual pilot a BNF quad with stability mode is really appealing to the "noobies" lol!
Jan 27, 2019, 03:33 PM
Flight for life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead5496
This might be a dumb question (or I may have missed it in the video) but does this require any programming, like on Betaflight?

As for the FC, I don't know about that, but for the casual pilot a BNF quad with stability mode is really appealing to the "noobies" lol!
No nothing to do . BNF is great.
Just dial your TX according to the manual and bind and fly.
She is a solid flyer and easy to fly.
Smooth but precise .
Jan 27, 2019, 04:05 PM
Nice. Even better then.

Next time there is an eBay coupon I might just pick one up.

One thing I just noticed that seems better than the FPV+ brushed model is the way the battery is. Being flat, not slid in on its side, is great. I would think you can put different lipos in there much more easily. I imagine many people use aftermarket lipos, as $12-13 for a single OEM battery is pricey. I can get a 4 or 5 pack of similar 1s lipos on Amazon for about $20!
Jan 27, 2019, 04:44 PM
Flight for life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead5496
Nice. Even better then.

Next time there is an eBay coupon I might just pick one up.

One thing I just noticed that seems better than the FPV+ brushed model is the way the battery is. Being flat, not slid in on its side, is great. I would think you can put different lipos in there much more easily. I imagine many people use aftermarket lipos, as $12-13 for a single OEM battery is pricey. I can get a 4 or 5 pack of similar 1s lipos on Amazon for about $20!
Good.
Yes a good aftermarket battery is the " My Lipo" at www.tinywhoops.com
the 600 mAh for $7.80 each.
Good luck.
You will be happy .
Jan 28, 2019, 06:36 AM
Flight for life
Those batteries are also good with the Inductrix FPV +.
Good luck.
Jan 28, 2019, 01:58 PM
Ah, they fit the fpv+?? That's awesome. I'll have to order some soon!
Jan 28, 2019, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geotric
No nothing to do . BNF is great.
Just dial your TX according to the manual and bind and fly.
She is a solid flyer and easy to fly.
Smooth but precise .
Does it use/support Betaflight, or something similar?

Can I bind it to my Jumper T8SG+ radio? How do I choose which switch does what, or do I have to use a Spektrum radio?

[Edit] - ok scratch that, I figured out "yes" you have to use a Spectrum radio with this quad.
Last edited by NordicMan; Jan 28, 2019 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Update
Jan 28, 2019, 04:14 PM
Flight for life
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicMan
Does it use/support Betaflight, or something similar?

Can I bind it to my Jumper T8SG+ radio? How do I choose which switch does what, or do I have to use a Spektrum radio?
No need for Betaflight . Or something similar. All is pre tuned ,and very well pre tuned.
The answer for your T8SG+ , well I would Email the tech department at Horizon Hobby. Or look at the Manual on line for the Inductrix BL at H.H.
For the Spektrum TX . You select Airplane and set the 3 way switch for flight modes and the Bind button that acts as a momentary switch for meow mode.
All detailed in the manual. Same as the binding procedures . All very easy to dial and fly.
Good luck.
PS: She needs to be on her back for successful binding.
Last edited by geotric; Jan 28, 2019 at 04:30 PM.
Feb 02, 2019, 11:24 AM
Flight for life
Oh practicing flips indoor since it is so cold outside.
She is my best indoor flyer.
Sorry YT is sandbagging for the music.

Blade Inductrix BL. 1-2-19 (2 min 41 sec)
Feb 06, 2019, 06:38 AM
Flight for life
Oh so cold here. I am training indoor,,,,lol.

Blade Inductrix BL. 2-2-19 (3 min 6 sec)

Quick Reply