Dec 12, 2018, 07:37 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Tx/Rx Charging Strip Options (NiMH packs)

Hello Everyone,
I need new power strips for my Futaba TX/RX trickle charges with the large, black, two prong plugs. In the past, I've used the cheap, plastic, usually 6 outlet strips with maybe a 15 amp breaker and no surge protection. I would use the 3-prong to 2-prong converters to lift up every other plug to use all the possible outlets. I have 12 chargers and I'm not sure how many planes I might keep on the trickle chargers during flying season. I would like to plug in to a surge protector and improve the setup. Larger joule protection and more outlets (which have enough space to fit large charger plugs) are more expensive.

This kind is interesting but has no surge protection and it seems long versus one half the length but outlets on two sides:
https://www.harborfreight.com/12-out...rip-62504.html

This looks more practical but all the outlets couldn't be used with charging plugs:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/APC-11-O...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I wonder if there is maybe a 1-plug surge protector with high joules, which could have cheaper non-surge protectors in a chain? Or, what do other people do for NiMH charging stations? And, should I even worry about surges in this application? I do have power outages and close lightening strikes so I'm concerned of losing all charges, batteries and possibly servos or receivers.
Last edited by ohnow; Dec 12, 2018 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Add e-mail notification
to remove ads between posts
Dec 12, 2018, 08:42 PM
I just use these for the TX now, I have slowly switched all but one airplane to LiFE or LiPO, and that one ain't flying until it gets switched as well. So much nicer to decide what to fly at the field and charge up while I assemble the airplane (and often eat a sandwich).

If you have to stay with NiMH, overnight is, IMHO, the best way to charge them. However, a new trickle charger is like $10, so not sure I would stress that much over the surge protection?

Were you the owner of the Zero? Not too many Futaba people at the field, and even less who aren't just flying electric foamies.
Dec 12, 2018, 08:44 PM
Also, leaving them permanently on trickle charge is supposed to be fairly bad for the batteries. Just plug in the things you plan to use for the next day.
Dec 12, 2018, 10:56 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the thoughts. I didn't own the zero. I actually use the Hitec Aurora 9 but I recently purchased several higher voltage packs of NiMH and one LiFe.
Dec 13, 2018, 05:24 PM
5 cell NiMH's? Or are you moving to High Voltage setups? I have one plane's RX and servos on 2 cell LiPO - this is probably the best setup out there today. I have one glow plane with a voltage regulator that can take whatever battery is available. The regulator is one more thing to go wrong, but the convenience is nice.

I actually never had an issue with the 4 cell NiMH's myself. I think that was an old Spektrum issue that isn't all that relevant anymore. The fifth cell gives you a little buffer, but when they die, they will fall off quickly.
Dec 13, 2018, 07:25 PM
Thread OP
Yeah, Hydrimax Ultra 2000 mAh 6v. I considered NiMH but for safety I would need to either remove them from the plane or take the plane to the garage to charge and possibly change out my charge jacks. But that wouldn't necessarily allow easy balance charging. I thought it easier to just go with these and trickle charge in the house.
Dec 14, 2018, 12:35 PM
We're used to using RX batteries for balance. But, I have changed my tune on that now. I will place them strategically where possible, but they must be accessible first. If I use LiFE or LiPO, then the weight of the batteries isn't likely to make that much difference anyway.

NiMH batteries are heavy, so we definitely used them for balance. However, they need replacing about every two years anyway, so ultimately they have to be accessible anyway. (This is why the last glow airplane I have is not converted - because the battery isn't easy to access and needs replacing.)

Once you make the batteries accessible, you'll find the NiMH's are easy to lose.

Quick Reply