Horizon Hobby E-flite UMX F-27 Evolution BNF Basic RCGroups Review

We get our hands on the newest and fastest ultra micro plane from E-flite, the UMX F-27 Evolution.

Splash

Introduction

Wingspan: 17" (432mm)
Length: 10.9" (277mm)
Flying Weight: 3-3/8oz (94g)
Motor: 180 3000kv
Prop Size: 3.75x3"
Battery: 3s 300mAH (Not Included)
Price: BNF Basic - $99.99
Available at: Horizon Hobby

E-flite's new UMX F-27 Evolution is the first UMX plane that uses a 3S Lipo and it is also the fastest prop driven UMX so far. It's tiny and includes AS3X and SAFE Select for easy flying and great performance.

It sells for only $99 as a BNF Basic model and it looks like a blast to fly. They've increased the performance over the older UMX F-27 so let's waste no more time and open up the box.

Video

What's in the Box

The box is not large and in typical fashion for UMX planes, the F-27 Evolution is neatly packed away inside fully assembled and ready to go. You can fit it back inside the box for transport and storage which is nice. The plane has all the electronics pre-installed and there's also a manual and a piece of Velcro included for putting on your battery. The only thing not included with the plane is a DSM2/X transmitter and a 3S 300mAH lipo battery.

Assembly

You don't have to assemble a thing with the F-27 Evolution, but you do want to start out by going through the manual. It has valuable information and will tell you how to set your radio up with dual rates, expo, flight mode and how to bind it to your radio. There's also instructions included to tell you how to trim the aircraft, mechanically adjust the servo centers, use the flight modes and test the stabilization direction. Make sure you read and understand all these functions before you head to the field.

Flying

Take Offs

Since you need to hand launch this plane, the designers made a small hand hold underneath the wing. It's enough to grab onto, but just barely. You might have a hard time if you have large fingers and hands or if it is windy. I recommend throwing the plane with the motor off. Give it a nice straight toss at a slight upward angle. You can use SAFE Select mode for extra stability, but it works just as well with it off too. The plane has a good glide ratio and there is plenty of time after the toss to apply power and fly out before the plane would land. I'm a lefty and had no trouble getting to the throttle in time. You could throw it with the power already on, but your hand will be close to the prop and even a small prop like this can cause some damage if your hand hits it during the release. That's why I chose not to use power and that's even how they tell you to launch in the manual.

Flying

The new UMX F-27 Evolution is fun to fly! The AS3X technology keeps things smooth and the rates they tell you to use in the manual were spot on for safe flights. Low time pilots can use SAFE mode to limit the banking and pitch angles and have the plane auto level itself when you release the sticks. It works great and the plane can practically land itself in SAFE mode. When you want more control, you can switch SAFE mode off and now the plane will do loops, rolls, inverted flight and allow more aggressive turning.

The roll rate was plenty fast, but I can see guys wanting to turn the rates up on the aileron channel to get even faster rolls. This is the fastest prop driven UMX plane E-flite has made to date and it was pretty peppy, but not too fast. Speed is relative here as it's not what I would consider a "speed" plane going over 100MPH. It's probably closer to 50MPH or so if I had to guess (I really need to get a radar gun someday). It does feel fast though because the plane is so small. You could easily fly it within a soccer field if you had to. It does fly very slowly when you want it to as well and I'm betting you'd be able to fly it in an indoor gym with some care.

I was really impressed with the flight time. The manual says to set a timer for 5 minutes and after that I checked the battery and still had 55% left. Now it is going to depend on your flying style, but I'd say if you cruise at a quarter to half throttle, you can expect 6-8 minutes and if you fly at full throttle the whole time you'll be around the 4-5 minute range. All that on just a 300mAH lipo! The batteries are cheap too, so stock up and fly all day if you want.

Landings

Getting the UMX F-27 Evolution back on the ground is a simple task. Just lower the throttle, bring the plane into the wind and slightly flare just before touchdown. There are some protective parts on the bottom to keep the foam from getting dinged up, but the plane is so light and easy to fly, that you'll be able to put it down right at your feet if you want in some nice grass. The rubber nose cone on the front is a nice touch, it you nose it in too hard, it really shouldn't sustain much damage if at any at all.

Photos

Conclusion

For $99 I think the UMX F-27 Evolution is a great deal. It's a fantastic flyer and comes with everything except a battery and a transmitter. The batteries are affordable and the flight time is over 5 minutes and in some cases way over that. It slows down well and remains controllable for small spaces, but you can open it up and zip around at a fast pace performing aerobatics too. I like that it has optional SAFE mode available for low time pilots to be able to fly it with confidence and the rubber nose cone is a nice touch for durability. The only thing I thought could be improved is the finger holds under the wing that are a bit small and expert pilots will likely want to turn up the aileron control rates for faster rolls. Increasing the roll rate is a simple radio adjustment and the finger holds worked fine for me so those are really nothing to complain about. Overall, I think they did a fantastic job with the update on this one and you'll be very pleased if you pick one up.

Check out the UMX F-27 Evolution BNF Basic webpage here

RCGroups.com Review Policies

Our intent is to provide fair and unbiased reviews so that consumers can make informed decisions regarding new products. Some things you should know about our review process:

• RCGroups.com review items are provided by hobby manufacturers and suppliers, some of whom may be RCGroups advertisers.
  • Review products are sent directly to independent reviewers, chosen by RCGroups.com.
  • RCGroups.com reviewers are not compensated by either RCGroups.com or the reviewed item's supplier. However, they are allowed to keep the review items at no charge.
  • Published reviews reflect the opinion of the author.
  • When a conflict arises between a review sponsor and a reviewer (which is rare), RCGroups attempts to work out a satisfactory solution for all parties. In some cases, this may mean that a finished review will go unpublished, or be subjected to editing for technical accuracy. RCGroups reserves the final say as to whether an article is fit for publication.

It is always our intent to provide a place for honest and open commentary, and to put the needs of our visitors first. If you feel that something we've published is inaccurate, please let us know using the contact form.

Jan 28, 2019, 03:08 PM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
So jealous you got this. Anyone with the original and this care to compare speed?
Latest blog entry: 93" AJ Laser 230z
Jan 29, 2019, 09:11 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Jason,
You do well doing product reviews.
Please do more when you can!!!!

Great video.....
Latest blog entry: My FAVORITE FPV CockPits'!!!!
Jan 29, 2019, 10:30 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Thanks!
Jan 30, 2019, 02:04 PM
Build it, don't buy it
Got mine a couple of weeks ago, maiden did not go well. Leave wing on normal, mixing is onboard and will effectively unmix a mixed transmitter signal.
Should have known better.

Safe was able to compensate for my error, but switching to AS3X mode caused an instant loss of control. Managed to get Safe back on before impact and thankfully the airframe is still pristine. Haven't had another opportunity to take it up since, getting our first taste of winter here in Calgary.

What I did learn from my brief maiden, this is going to be a very cool little plane, fast and slow, and comes in a small package, the perfect traveling companion.
Jan 30, 2019, 02:53 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Ah, so you had it set to a flying wing with elevon mixing in the radio? Glad you figured that out. It's very important to read the radio setup section in the manual on planes like this as they will tell you exactly how to program it. Glad that plane is still in one piece!
Jan 30, 2019, 08:24 PM
Build it, don't buy it
Thing is I did pay attention to the setup in the instructions, frankly, I don't recall setting up the mix, I may have been on autopilot at times during the setup.

Just got back from giving it a good workout, sun had almost set, and it is overcast here, so not ideal for visibility, but hardly any wind.

I was solo so I hand launched as suggested. It needed some up trim, so the first hand launch was a bit dicey, but manage to get my thumb on the elevator in time. The next two launches were relatively uneventful, give it a toss, hit the throttle and you have lots of time to get on the controls.

Not sure why they decided to include two safe modes, seems rather redundant, I would have preferred two aerobatic modes.

It is not as fast as I expected, but it is still plenty fast, turns into a speck awfully quick so you have to stay ahead of it. Had the rates at 70% with 30% expo, and found the roll rate lacking but the elevator spot on.

Landing, it slows down quickly, the approach can be quite fast, chop the throttle and she will settle right in.

Flew for 3 minutes at various throttle settings, the resting voltage now is at 3.8V/cell, so the advertised time of 5 minutes is reasonable.

Very happy with this little plane
Jan 31, 2019, 12:28 PM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
17" wingspan ok how am i sneaking this one past the wife ? the motorbike nearly cost me a kidney so this ones got to be a full on SAS jobby.
Jan 31, 2019, 12:37 PM
Build it, don't buy it
Quote:
Originally Posted by scousethief
17" wingspan ok how am i sneaking this one past the wife ? the motorbike nearly cost me a kidney so this ones got to be a full on SAS jobby.
Perhaps you don't have enough airplanes. A new plane is unlikely to be noticed when you carry in a dozen after a days flyin'.

If that is your only problem you are lucky, my wife may not notice a new plane, but she would notice the dip it created in our bank account.
Feb 03, 2019, 11:47 AM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
oh mine would notice lol I have my eye on the eflite f15 (and f16) as well so I'm going to have to get more creative with my purchases. The wife of course needs 14 hand bags and 30+ pairs of shoes and even daring to question another purchase can result in the 1000yard stare.

I might ask EFlight if they can ship everything to me in separate pieces or even better ship them to me in a Karcher pressure washer box or a Dewalt tool box she won't look in any boxes she thinks will have work tools in them lol
Feb 03, 2019, 11:48 AM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
oh mine would notice lol I have my eye on the eflite f15 (and f16) as well so I'm going to have to get more creative with my purchases. The wife of course needs 14 hand bags and 30+ pairs of shoes and even daring to question another purchase can result in the 1000yard stare.

I might ask EFlight if they can ship everything to me in separate pieces or even better ship them to me in a Karcher pressure washer box or a Dewalt tool box she won't look in any boxes she thinks will have work tools in them lol
Feb 11, 2019, 11:34 AM
AutoPilot .
Beautiful plane and my favorite colors.
Hopefully I receive mine tomorrow.
I have some mods ready for it.
Will compare it to my mini sonic/mini neptune wing although f27 is smaller.
Feb 14, 2019, 01:14 PM
I’m just sorry they nixed the rudders. The inverted flat spins were fun.
Feb 16, 2019, 01:43 PM
I wonder how good is SAFE?

Can you chuck this thing like a tomahawk or boomerang as hard as you can at a 45 degree angle up and then apply full throttle? Will it be able to stabilize?
Feb 16, 2019, 04:23 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
At an angle it should, but it can’t compensate for rotational force like a tomohawk or boomerang and make the wing generate lift. It might stabilize it out, just not sure it would happen in time before it hit the ground.

Quick Reply