Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 09, 2019, 09:47 AM
Parkcityflier
J, that tank is almost as long as my fuselage. Your A-1 is a giant! You've probably seen the picture but it's a good view of the bottom of the airplane and the tanks

Jim
to remove ads between posts
Feb 09, 2019, 10:44 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Hey Doc!
Glad you are enjoying the build.

Jim,
That's a great pic but a bit scary. Looks like Nut on the sticks and gone wild in St. George!
I do like the fact that there are no tail wheel doors.
And I will need a good discussion with you before tackling all those hard points and ordnance.

Still waiting on the spackle to dry on the bottom of the wing so:
Started on the tank plug. This kind of work can make me stick beans up my nose after awhile. Work on it some, move to something else
and come back to it later.
I probably should have used lite ply for this, it would have been easier sanding to shape. But wastes a lot of ply so I went foam.
Careful sanding should make it work.

J
Latest blog entry: Ziroli A-1H at 100"ws
Feb 09, 2019, 10:53 AM
Parkcityflier
J, that tank looks good and looks to be a project in itself. I'd be glad to offer my thoughts on the hard points and their loads. That A-1 in the picture looks positively naked with those clean wings. Most likely one of the surplussed French ones that made it over here years ago, rather than a real Vietnam bird.

Jim
Feb 09, 2019, 12:39 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Jim,
It does look naked. I think I'm going to have to make a plug for the wing tanks too. But that can probably wait awhile.
I know you didn't fly the AF birds but I want to ask some questions after awhile on decals before I send in my request to Callie. I'll make a list of questions so I don't miss anything.
Have a decent start of the tank plug.

J
Feb 09, 2019, 03:15 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
I'll give the glue an hour to cure and start carving/shaping.

J
Feb 09, 2019, 03:32 PM
Parkcityflier
The tank that you are making looks like the 150 gallon tank. We usually just carried one, on the centerline, unless it was expected that we would be in the air a lot. Just using the one tank left the two big racks available for heavy weapons. We almost never used the center rack for a bomb load because it was an ejector rack. It was an ejector rack to prevent a bomb from taking out a prop when the bomb was released in a dive and nobody liked the idea of a rack malfunction so we were happy to just use it for a fuel tank.There was also a 300 gallon tank that was used some times. but it could only be used on the two outer racks. With one 150 and two 300 gallon tanks we could easily fly from California to Florida non stop. The limiting factor could actually be running out of oil for the engine. We only carried 40 gallons and most of that ended up on the aircraft and ultimately on the pilots it seemed. The saying for the Spad was always that you would run out of oil before you ever ran out of fuel!

Be glad to help you where I can on the aircraft markings.

Jim
Last edited by parkcityskier; Feb 09, 2019 at 03:58 PM.
Feb 09, 2019, 04:24 PM
Missileer Extraordinaire
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan
Thanks Jim

I thought I had better get started on the centerline tank so before I shut the shop down yesterday I put the plan
on the light table and traced the tank outline. OMG! It is 4" in diameter but 37" LONG! I had thought about making a mold
of it but now think I will just make the plug and layup a one-off from it.

Only had to type this post twice due to INTERNAL ERROR message. I don't know what's going on but getting pretty aggravating.

J
J, how big and what are the ordnance are you going to put on it? I have been making a few similar things lately....
Feb 09, 2019, 05:37 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Great info Jim. I've read where if a Spad didn't show any oil leaks that pilots would refuse to fly it.
I'll be making two wing tanks too for sure. Rest of the loadout TBD.

Mel,
Nice! You've been busy, they look great. Remind me to ask you about the nomenclature on them when we are at Perry.
As far as ordnance, it will be loadouts for Sandy missions. I'm assuming rockets, nape, CBUs were pretty typical but I need to do
some more research and talk to Jim again before deciding.

J
Feb 10, 2019, 10:26 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Just about done shaping the tank plug. Just a little more block sanding and then some spackle to clean it up and a layer of light glass.
This doesn't have to be perfect, just good enough to give a good surface for the eventual final glass layup.

J
Feb 10, 2019, 11:52 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Gentlemen ( and I use that tern loosely here)
I've been hunting a drawing of the Spad's wing tanks in order to make a reasonably accurate plug for them. Hunting everywhere but can't seem to
find the right spot. If anyone can point me to one I would much appreciate it.

J
Feb 10, 2019, 12:37 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
this has a side profile of the 300 gal

Or from a plastic model
https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/...skyraider-132/

Another site has some info

http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2...-external.html

http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2...uel-tanks.html
Last edited by Ken Lapointe; Feb 10, 2019 at 12:48 PM.
Feb 10, 2019, 01:17 PM
Missileer Extraordinaire
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan
Great info Jim. I've read where if a Spad didn't show any oil leaks that pilots would refuse to fly it.
I'll be making two wing tanks too for sure. Rest of the loadout TBD.

Mel,
Nice! You've been busy, they look great. Remind me to ask you about the nomenclature on them when we are at Perry.
As far as ordnance, it will be loadouts for Sandy missions. I'm assuming rockets, nape, CBUs were pretty typical but I need to do
some more research and talk to Jim again before deciding.

J
The grey missiles are AIM-120Ds. The white one is an AGM-88C HARM. The one with wings is a Raytheon Small Diameter Bomb II glide bomb. Got the decals on the SDB. And made a Harm Targeting System pod. Made the decals in Powerpoint and Paint.

Mel D.
Feb 10, 2019, 02:25 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Just came across this pic, dam, now thats a dive brake
Feb 10, 2019, 02:50 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lapointe
Ken! You are the MAN! Thanks so much, that is perfect. EXACTLY what I needed and another 3 view that I can't believe i didn't have.
RCG friends come through again.

Mel,
Pretty cool! Very nice work.

J
Feb 10, 2019, 03:07 PM
Parkcityflier
Ken, the bottom brake is just one of the three. The two on the fuselage were about the same size. In a vertical dive with all three brakes out I would only be doing 190 knots. We kept them locked out in Vietnam and rarely ever used the side brakes either because it was better to be coming across the target at 350 knots in a dive to reduce the chance of being hit. We never used a vertical dive. Instead, we did mostly 60 or 30 degree dives for the bomb run and could then leave the brakes stowed.

Jim

Quick Reply