Feb 08, 2019, 05:14 AM
71% of the world is runway . .
Nice John!

Cheers,

Bart
to remove ads between posts
Feb 08, 2019, 10:23 AM
Parkcityflier
With the tailwheel extending rearward, besides being scale, it may be less likely to collapse on a hard landing.

Jim
Feb 08, 2019, 10:35 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Thanks Bart

Jim,
Very good point!

Cleaning and straightening up this morning so I have room to give the wing and fuse a finish coat of epoxy.

J
Latest blog entry: Ziroli A-1H at 100"ws
Feb 08, 2019, 01:38 PM
Parkcityflier
I made some mention about the lockable tailwheel on the Spads some time ago. I think that I can do it on this plane too. If I use a small separate servo for steering the tailwheel I can mix it with the rudder servo on my transmitter. If I then designate a switch to turn the mix on or off I should be able to lock the tailwheel. For taxi out or in I could steer the tailwheel with the rudder control. Once on the runway for takeoff and lined up, or when making a landing, I could lock the tailwheel and perhaps have better directional control to keep the plane on the runway. Just an idea that I may have to consider later.

Jim
Feb 08, 2019, 02:11 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
OK, now we're getting complicated! But I see your point, it might come in handy.

Here's my dilemma on the whole wing saddle issue. If you've kept up and took notes, I have the saddle a little too deep in the fuse. Measured it against the plan and it is 5/8" too deep. Doesn't sound like much but it is enough to catch your eye due to the more extreme transition from the fuse bottom to the wing bottom. Two ways I can do a fix. One, drop the wing saddle. But if I do that I can only gain 1/4" or so until the TE sticks out from the fuse bottom. And to me that's a bit drastic. Can't drop the LE, I would lose the wing incidence and no way I'm cutting the stab loose to correct incidence.
My solution? OK, I'm showing some pics from a gentleman that built a Ziroli Spad over on RCSB. Did a beautiful job too. These pics show a definite fairing of course because it is on Zirolis plan. The pics also shows it fairing into a flat area which I believe is the armored section Jim talked about. The fairing also extends back 6" to gradually smooth into the wing bottom. If I had really looked close at the plan( always a good idea), then I wouldn't have such an abrupt transition that looks more like a humpback whale. So I'm adding another piece to create a sort of flattish area. This won't be near as eye catching as before.
Plus this plane will always fly with a centerline fuel tank which will further hide my mistake. So I've glued in on and now some sanding and spackle. That should finish the middle section and get it ready for finish coat of epoxy. And before anyone asks, i've decided not to balsa skin the wheel wells. Just more weight that will never be seen anyway once it's painted.

J
Feb 08, 2019, 03:27 PM
Parkcityflier
I think that you are on the right track, J. That extension will help a lot and let you flatten out the transition to the wing. That whole underside from the wing up to the place where the fuselage and lower scoop meets the cowl is a real tough one. I'm still thinking about it but will put that place aside until I have wing to put in place. That build that you showed is a real beauty, too.

Jim
Feb 08, 2019, 03:32 PM
Parkcityflier
Not a great picture but it shows how the transition goes right into a flat area where the center pylon is

Jim
Feb 08, 2019, 04:34 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
I have seen that pic Jim as well as checking several others.
My fix isn't the perfect solution but I think it will work for me. As I said before, I want to fly this with a centerline tank because I really like the look with it on there.
I'll be starting a mold for that tank soon. Been trying to find a drawing of the centerline tank with dimensions but haven't found any yet. Hoping that Nick has it right on the plan.

So here's the fix to my problem. Plus I wanted to get the finish coat on the fuse. Could have done it half per day but didn't want to waste the time. Hanging it made it go quick and I know where all the runs will wind up.

J
Feb 08, 2019, 05:27 PM
Hey J........is this one larger then the one lost at St G. ??

Woody
Feb 08, 2019, 05:36 PM
What a beast!
Feb 08, 2019, 05:44 PM
I am constantly amazed how fast you build

Looking good!
Feb 08, 2019, 08:51 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by W. X. Davis
Hey J........is this one larger then the one lost at St G. ??

Woody
Yes Woody. The previous one was 1/8th scale, this one is 1/6th. 75" ws vs 100" ws. And I thought the 1/8th scale was
a pretty good size model.

Pat,
You're right, it is a beast of an airplane.

Thanks Mike

J
Feb 09, 2019, 12:29 AM
Parkcityflier
J, I think that your fix looks fine. The front end of this plane is a tough one to model, as we both have found out.

Jim
Feb 09, 2019, 07:30 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Thanks Jim

I thought I had better get started on the centerline tank so before I shut the shop down yesterday I put the plan
on the light table and traced the tank outline. OMG! It is 4" in diameter but 37" LONG! I had thought about making a mold
of it but now think I will just make the plug and layup a one-off from it.

Only had to type this post twice due to INTERNAL ERROR message. I don't know what's going on but getting pretty aggravating.

J
Feb 09, 2019, 08:02 AM
I've half a mind...
It's a treat to just sit back with a bag of popcorn and go through John's builds .
Just so satisfying to watch a lump of foam and some sheets of wood come alive.

Nice going, John.

Dc

Quick Reply