Dec 11, 2018, 12:13 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Build Log

Ziroli 100" ws A-1 Skyraider Electrified

So this won't be near as quick a build as the Me-263 was. Have been checking around and can't find any Ziroli A-1s that are flying on electric.
Nick has on the plan that the weight should be 30-35 lbs. I've seen You Tube vids that show them flying up over 40 lbs AUW. And they fly well too!
But I want a light weight A-1. This thing is a monster and will take over the shop until it's done.
A few things I'm mulling over:

Removable stabs for easier transport
Light weight construction similar to my latest builds
Three piece wing, again for easier transport
Power system on removable tray like my TBD
Twin elevator servos in stab ( I know, heavier tail but easier and short stiff pushrods)
Flaps
Ordnance TBD
This list will get longer I'm sure!

Figuring on setting it up as a Sandy like my last one. Using the above parameters I'm thinking ( and Birger proved it by running the numbers) the power system in my Helldiver with it's four blade prop will work and look cool as hell. The SB2C flies with a 100" ws on 8s at 28 lbs.
What weight can it be structurally built as lightweight? Not sure yet but I think I can make it lighter than the Helldiver.

Things won't move too fast with the holidays approaching but I have until SEFF to get it done.

And I will be leaning heavily on Jim ( parkcityskier) for direction on this as he flew the real deal. He has already provided me with pics ( I'll be sharing those through the build too!)and info and I'm sure I will have many more questions for him.
Meanwhile, to get us started, here is a 8mm film Jim made from the cockpit on one of his missions and he uploaded to You tube just for us. And please Jim, jump in here as often as you like with any info, stories, questions, etc. We all will enjoy!

AVSEQ01 (29 min 36 sec)

J
to remove ads between posts
Dec 11, 2018, 12:53 PM
Still Screamin'!
Yeah Buddy!
Dec 11, 2018, 01:05 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Another great one coming!

Have fun, J!
Dec 11, 2018, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the vidoe Jim! Very Cool! And The Intrepid looks mighty small on approach!
Dec 11, 2018, 01:39 PM
J,
Looking forward to watching this build take shape. I really like the A-1, it's like a big ole' beast of a plane with an attitude of "I'm gonna hurt you!"
And done by April? Incredible.!
Dec 11, 2018, 02:02 PM
Can't wait!
Dec 11, 2018, 02:12 PM
Still Screamin'!
man that deck looks sooooooooo small with a tail dragger Can't imagine how small it looks from an F-4
Dec 11, 2018, 02:37 PM
Pro Hoarder
O goody some good viewing coming up...Great project
Latest blog entry: In flight
Dec 11, 2018, 03:51 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Yeah, I think it's going to be a really fun build.
Was going to trace some fuse bulkheads today but got caught up in Damon's videos he just posted on his HUGE new foam build. If you haven't seen them, here's the link. You guys might as well kill some time to!

fraEMMAstein FBL Update 11 7 18 (24 min 47 sec)

Al,
Like Jim said before, he's partial of course to the Navy scheme but the Air Force SEA camo says sort of says " Hey! you wanna fight!"

J
Dec 11, 2018, 05:11 PM
Classic jets rule
I know CST here in T town has really nice CF tubes and spars for removal wings and stabs have seen the small dia one at @ 1/2". And larger one at @1 1/2" i can ck exact sizes for you if needed.
Dec 11, 2018, 05:29 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY
I know CST here in T town has really nice CF tubes and spars for removal wings and stabs have seen the small dia one at @ 1/2". And larger one at @1 1/2" i can ck exact sizes for you if needed.
Thanks Rodger but I think I have it covered. Will be using an arrow shaft for the stab and making the socket myself ala Dag's method. The main tube and socket is left over from another big build. So should be good there.
I wanted to trace out some formers this afternoon but after studying the plan I'm afraid I found some mistakes. Not sure, more study in the morning to determine how I'll do this. Want to do as I do alot and that's half shell crutch. We'll see.
Meanwhile, for your enjoyment if you haven't seen it, Ali Machinchy's 1/3 scale Skyraider flying in the UK. This has to be the epitome of A-1 builds.
We met Ali at SEFF and besides being a very gifted pilot, really nice guy. I heard this plane took the builder 3 years and cost 25,000 British pounds. Seems a steal for three years work.
And that it was bought later for an insane price by some Saudi collector, figures.

Skyraider at Weston Park (9 min 47 sec)

J
Dec 11, 2018, 05:37 PM
Parkcityflier
Thanks for the intro, J. There is no doubt that the A-1 is my favorite of the planes that I have flown. In a war situation it's always a comfort to feel like the plane that you are flying has a really good chance of coming home and the the plane was built to take punishment to do just that, besides being a real hoot to fly.
Sorry about the quality of the video. An old 8mm was all that I had. I'll try to add some interest in the airplane while J, of course, will have us all waiting each day for the next episode of his build, which is beyond compare for what he does.
While I do favor my old Navy gray I think that J's choice of the camo is a good one. After the Navy turned over all of our Spads to the Air Force they did amazing work on their Recap missions, the most dangerous flying that there was, supporting the pick up of downed pilots.

Jim
Dec 11, 2018, 05:53 PM
Parkcityflier
I'll be starting my own A-1 build in the future but will be away for about three months so it will have to be a Spring project. For you, J, here are some files that may help you later on. With the speed that you build, you might want them before I get back to send them to you then. While I am away I'll be starting each day by seeing how you are doing on the build and you'll probably be done before I even get started.

Jim
Dec 11, 2018, 09:18 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Sweet! Thanks Jim

J
Dec 11, 2018, 09:54 PM
They call me Lipo...
Yeah Buddy !!!!

Quick Reply