Jul 08, 2019, 08:05 AM
Beautiful!!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 08, 2019, 08:16 AM
Thermals, Tom
Aghast! A four leaf clover ��
Should be a Shamrock ☘️ !!!

Any chance you can still show us some of the nitty-gritty things like symmetrical stab attachment, linkages, radio installation, hatches etc?
Latest blog entry: Steak and Old Timers
Jul 08, 2019, 10:30 AM
My hangar is,... "almost" full
NIce color scheme. Love the power pod and graphics. Very cool model.
Jul 08, 2019, 04:10 PM
With all due respects the shamrock has THREE leaves - no more no less. Anything else is a misrepresentation.
The Shamrock is a long revered symbol of Ireland and the increase of leaves to 4 is equivalent to representing the US flag with 33% more stars and stripes(17.333 stripes and 66.66 stars).
respect our Irish symbols as we respect yours.
Jul 08, 2019, 10:04 PM
Where's the lift?
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by John O'Sullivan
...respect our Irish symbols as we respect yours.
Hey, guys, it's a decoration, not a declaration of national allegiance. Get over it.

BTW, my wife is Irish, and she likes the four-leaf clover. It stays.

@Tom, yes, I will add more detail photos as I go along. The stab I made is flat-bottomed, so the seat was just a flat platform (see photos in Post #101). Easier that way, and I doubt I'll notice any difference.
Jul 08, 2019, 10:22 PM
Where's the lift?
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchopper56
Beautiful just beautiful! I noticed that you used nitrate dope and then showed a power pod. What are you using for fuel proofing?
Gene
Gene,

I first doped the fabric with nitrate dope, and followed it with a couple of coats of butyrate dope. Butyrate dope is fuel-proof, but it doesn't adhere all that well to raw fabric, so the nitrate base is there to provide good adhesion.

I painted the power pod with Rustoleum enamel (same as the rest of the color trim), and once it was good and cured, I added a couple of coats of Minwax clear gloss spar varnish. In fact, the entire model got a good going over with spar varnish. It is pretty resistant to hot fuel residue-- and Rustoleum does pretty well, too, for that matter. The truth is that nothing can hold up to glow fuel oils indefinitely, but the gloss polyurethane offers at least a fighting chance. The exhaust from the muffler will clear the structure, so the only thing I need to protect against is spills and vapor spray from the carb.
Jul 09, 2019, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgliderguy
Gene,

I first doped the fabric with nitrate dope, and followed it with a couple of coats of butyrate dope. Butyrate dope is fuel-proof, but it doesn't adhere all that well to raw fabric, so the nitrate base is there to provide good adhesion.

I painted the power pod with Rustoleum enamel (same as the rest of the color trim), and once it was good and cured, I added a couple of coats of Minwax clear gloss spar varnish. In fact, the entire model got a good going over with spar varnish. It is pretty resistant to hot fuel residue-- and Rustoleum does pretty well, too, for that matter. The truth is that nothing can hold up to glow fuel oils indefinitely, but the gloss polyurethane offers at least a fighting chance. The exhaust from the muffler will clear the structure, so the only thing I need to protect against is spills and vapor spray from the carb.
Now I feel stupid for asking, thanks.
Gene
Jul 09, 2019, 03:17 PM
Where's the lift?
Thread OP
Gene, not at all! There’s a lot to know about finishing. I’ve learned most of it the hard way!
Jul 09, 2019, 03:27 PM
Where's the lift?
Thread OP
First day out with its new suit of clothes! Just need to add receiver and battery, and slam some lead in the nose. Getting excited to fly this thing!
Jul 09, 2019, 11:25 PM
KISS_KeepItSimpleStupid
Looking good ! ! !
But are you going to add the stay wires?

Phillip C
(still just looking at the plan . . .)
Jul 10, 2019, 12:10 AM
Where's the lift?
Thread OP
Don't need 'em. I went with a .75" diameter aluminum joiner tube, and I-beam hardwood spars, so I won't need the assistance of the tension wires to stiffen the wing during launch. That was one of my goals in modifying the spar construction. (Those wires create a significant amount of drag.)
Jul 10, 2019, 02:21 PM
Thermals, Tom
Wow! Look at the price of this kit!
I do like his RC modifications though
Latest blog entry: Steak and Old Timers
Jul 22, 2019, 12:45 AM
Where's the lift?
Thread OP

The Leprechaun flies!!

With only a few steps to go to get everything ready for the maiden flight, I spent a couple of late-night sessions doing simple things like installing the motor, fuel tank, and throttle servo on the power pod, adding some lead to the nose for proper balance, and installing the battery and receiver. Today was the first outing to the field, for the maiden flight.

First up was some simple hand tosses, to check for proper trims and alignment. Then I laid out my Hose Monster hi-start and did some moderate launches, again for trims and CG checks, and finally I did a strong-stretch launch to moderate height and was able to verify handling characteristics. The Leprechaun came out to about the same weight as my Sailaire, which has the same wing area (1650 squares), so I wasn't surprised that it flew and handled a lot like my Sailaire-- slow and stately. I also wasn't surprised that my hi-start was a bit taxed with such an imposing model, just as it is with my Sailaire. I will need a winch to get the Leprechaun up to normal launch heights of 350-400 feet or so.

So, flight checks done, I installed the power pod and fired up the Magnum XLS25 engine. The Leprechaun climbed right out from a soft handlaunch, and proceeded to march up to altitude in deliberate fashion. The 1oz tank provides about three minutes of engine run, after which the Leprechaun starts its quiet glide at around 600 feet or so-- plenty of altitude for the kind of soaring I will be doing. The lift was waning in the late afternoon sun, but I could tell right away I am going to really enjoy this model. It is very slow and floaty, at times almost parking itself up there in the gentle breezes, and I found it very comfortable to fly in tight thermaling circles. This is going to be a fun summertime flyer!

I didn't get much video this time out, but I will try to get some good footage on my next outing. But with the First Day Out behind me, I can finally put this build to rest, and I'm already eyeballing the projects-in-waiting, to see what's up next!

Here's the maiden "toss":
IMG 0731 (0 min 9 sec)

And this is one of the first hi-start trial launches:
IMG 0737 (0 min 37 sec)
Jul 22, 2019, 12:58 AM
Congrats on a successful project.
Climbs well and I presume thermals nicely and looks great in flight.
Love the simple, neat colour scheme and the fact you kept the wing pylon.
Jul 22, 2019, 01:03 AM
Perhaps a daft question but did you spray or brush the green enamel?

Quick Reply