Jul 02, 2019, 10:51 AM
Thread OP

Next monthly - July 20

Hi all

Just a reminder that our next TPG DLG monthly contest/clinic will be on the morning of July 20, the 50th anniversary of the Apollo landing on the Moon. We'll be mixing it up a bit and exploring our own "new" territory - the contest will be held at the TPG Encinitas thermal field for the first time. This should make it a bit cooler, give everyone the chance to explore a new field, and reduce the drive time for the contingent from LA/OC by about 30 min.

Cliff Hunter will be our Contest Director, he'll be following up soon on this thread with additional information/directions/tasks, etc.

Come join us for the Honorary Neil Armstrong Invitational and help make one giant leap for DLG kind.

Gary

P.S. Please remember that before Armstrong walked on the Moon he was first a modeler and AMA member, and then later also enjoyed many hours soaring as a member of the Soaring Society of America.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 12, 2019, 05:43 PM
Thread OP

July 20 TPG Contest/Clinic

Torrey Pines Gulls Monthly DLG contest

“Neil Armstrong Invitational”
July 20, 2019

Torrey Pines Gulls Monthly DLG hand launch contest to be held this month at Encinitas Flight Center instead of Poway Flight Center. Map to follow soon.

When: Saturday, July 20, 2019
Time: 0845 am – 1:30 pm
Pilots Meeting: 0845 am
Where: Field location 2099 Encinitas Blvd, Encinitas, CA 92024
Sign Up: F3X Vault, Cost $5.00 cash, pay at the field or paypal. Walk-ons are welcome, please preregister if you can

http://www.f3xvault.com/?action=even...&event_id=1476

CD: Cliff Hunter, 760-703-4497 cell

Round Task Description
1 “D” Ladder+15 sec Increasing times-0:030.0:45.1.00.1:15.1:30 etc.
2 “E” Poker Poker, 5 self-nominated targets 10 minute window
3 “J” Last 2 X 3.00 Last 3 flights, 3 max. 10:00 window
4 "G” Best 5 X 2:00 Best 5 flights 2:00 MAX. 10:00 window
5 "F” Best 3 of 6 Best 3 flight, 3:00 Max. 6 launches only. 10:00 min window
6 AULD All Up Last Down
Jul 12, 2019, 06:04 PM
Thread OP

Encinitas Field

Here are the directions for the July 20 DLG contest at the TPG Encinitas Field.

From I-5 exit Encinitas Blvd heading east.
Continue east (straight) through the intersection of El Camino Real.
About 1 mile past El Camino Real look for an unmarked driveway with an open gate on the right as an entrance to the former Encinitas Landfill.
Continue on that driveway all the way to the parking area for the field. Please drive slowly and responsibly on the driveway.

Gary
Jul 16, 2019, 09:47 AM
I'm in!
Jul 18, 2019, 02:14 PM
Thread OP
So far we have 6 signed up - any other takers??
Jul 18, 2019, 02:33 PM
the correct 51%
I'm planning on coming down to check it out (from Rancho Cucamonga). All I have is a HK Raven (990mm) and have never been to or around a contest so I want to check it out.
Jul 18, 2019, 03:22 PM
Thread OP
Cool! You'll definitely be welcomed!
Jul 18, 2019, 03:28 PM
Talking from experience, it will be super fun and a very good learning experience.
Jul 19, 2019, 03:55 PM
Rocket, my first contest was with a foam 1m (techone dlg 1000) a few years ago. It's a bit wild the first time but immensely fun
Jul 19, 2019, 05:26 PM
Thread OP
Last call for signups for the Neil Armstrong Invitational. Bonus points to anyone showing up in an astronaut suit.

And to sweeten the pot just a bit, I'm going to offer a special Apollo 11 related prize to the winner.
Jul 20, 2019, 06:31 PM

July Contest Hand Lanch Contest

2019 TPG Clinic/Contest Series - July

Great contest a little windy. Hope everyone on a good time.

Here are the results of the contest for your review!
Jul 20, 2019, 06:43 PM

updated Scores DLG

Sorry updated scores no drops!

Cliff Hunter
Jul 20, 2019, 09:20 PM
Brent Lytle
Thanks for a great contest! The Encinitas location was a great and cooler change of pace. Challenging air right from round 1. The Apollo 11 theme added to the fun.

Good to see Ron and Stephen jumping right into F3K. Made me smile to see that Raven get the longest flight it has ever had today. Look forward to flying with you guys again.

Great contest Cliff, thanks for CDing. Thanks for the very generous trophy Gary, It will be treasured, and already is the envy of my space geek friends on this very important anniversary. It is already home in my rocket museum.
Last edited by blytle; Jul 21, 2019 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Nobody wants to see a creepy doll
Jul 21, 2019, 12:06 AM
Thank you Cliff and TPG for a wonderful contest. Nice and relaxed event. Beautiful cool weather with a great bunch of friends. Weird air today. It was nice to be able to see the site for the first time. Definitely going to try and hand catch every flight next time.
Great job Ron!. Hope to see you at the next one.
Latest blog entry: Builders kit assembly
Jul 21, 2019, 11:06 AM
Do you know where you are going to be flying the August contest/clinic?

Quick Reply