Dec 12, 2018, 01:10 AM
Micro-Turbine Superhero
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockiesguy
Totally agreed !! What I'm trying to achieve with this post is to make it progressive. The freewing T-45 llows you to do just a you mentioned it; a 3.3 ounces pipes saves you from 11 ounces in the nose!

Check out our 40mm tube it's 1.5oz. No need to add more weight then you need. No need to choke the engine with a too large tube (yep) and no need to run it hotter then necessarily (yep larger runs hotter).

Taft Cobra would be a good one too.

90% of my Kolibri planes only one one 2S 18650 li-ion for power. Same for turbine and Rx. 3oz or so. Maybe add another one for the K30 as it weighs more and needs a 3S for the ECU(?). But be careful... engine + 6,8oz, battery + 5oz, 46mm tube +1.7oz.... closing up on 1lb extra in the best of worlds just adding the minimum extra weights. Wing area stay the same, retracts are still made in China
Last edited by henke; Dec 12, 2018 at 01:15 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 13, 2018, 02:26 PM
Thread OP

40mm Pipe

Hi Henke; let us know where to get those 40mm pipes.

For who are not familiar with; both Sebart's and Grumania are 45mm, at 3.3 oz. (L=18.5 in). while you can order custom length on Grumania.com, Sebart's are for the Avanti Mini, and are 18.5 in long.
Dec 13, 2018, 02:35 PM
Thread OP
In the mean time; this is the latest project I got into. Revisiting the good old Taft Hobby Cobra.
Dec 13, 2018, 03:25 PM
Thread OP
On the first picture the engine seat a little bit ahead of the EDF location...not really needed to do but I wanted to have a bit more room to place an aluminum heat shield added to the metal tape ( cut from a soda can).

The engine mount tabs are from 1/4" 5-layer plywood. While I had used in the past tabs just glued to the side, on this frame I wanted to have some more ways to hold the engine in place for those aerobatic maneuvers the Cobra is capable of.. where sudden throttle changes are required.

If you are careful enough to mix proper and equal amounts of epoxy glue you don't need to spend the money in Hysol. If you don't have microballoons you can use the good old fashion way baking soda in your mix. That will highly increase the strength of your epoxy, even making tolerate higher temperatures without becoming flexible.
Last edited by rockiesguy; Dec 13, 2018 at 03:51 PM.
Dec 13, 2018, 03:27 PM
Thread OP
(place holder)
Last edited by rockiesguy; Dec 13, 2018 at 03:48 PM.
Dec 13, 2018, 03:31 PM
Thread OP
(place holder)
Last edited by rockiesguy; Dec 13, 2018 at 03:47 PM.
Dec 13, 2018, 03:48 PM
Thread OP
Although there is some room in there to move the engine forward, most of us don't have time to build, just time to fly.. so there will be no mods as to where to locate the engine. One to one (EDF+ESC ratio to K30+pipe) the Cobra REALLY needs the weight equivalent to the hefty 6S packs...

Since these frames can take 8 cells in it (6+2 or 4+4 or 2x4) then we will assume that carrying the ancillary will be not a problem.. and it is not a problem, to balance the plane.
Last edited by rockiesguy; Dec 16, 2018 at 09:13 PM.
Jan 03, 2019, 09:30 AM
Nice thread for guys like me flying edf but itching to do my first turbine step.. What do you guys think about putting a turbine into the FW L-39. I have also flown (and own) the A-4 but the Albatros outperforms it in any way. Last weekend I was able to harrier it, its wings do rock but no sudden wing drop..amazing. So I feel proficient to fly a converted (heavier) FW model and given I am rather on a low budget (would need to pay off a turbine in about 2 yrs) converting my existing Albatros into turbine is my most affordable option. A friend of T-Cat has done it before and seems to be okay spacewise. Landing it hotter and with brakes I see no problem. (The A-4 tends to tipstall, the L-39 does not). Would you find it is okay to fit a K30 into the L-39. I know bigger is better...but thats all I have..At the utmost I could convert a Stinger but I found it had almost less space in the front bay than the L-39 has! Thanks for your input, have flown a lot in rc but feel newbie with turbines hehe (Ahh I have flown several times the turbine powered XL Xcalibur 2.4m fron a friend of mine..so already kind of used to the delayed response and residual thrust). Greets!
Jan 03, 2019, 09:36 AM
Ahh forgot to mention a guy in Youtube did already convert the FW A-4...seems to fly great but lands pretty hot. He also converted the F-16 and other foamies..
Jan 03, 2019, 09:52 AM
Micro-Turbine Superhero
Just do it A lot of flying promised!!

Two full house turbine jets including fuel for 15flights..... nifty size these freewings

Jan 03, 2019, 10:06 AM
Hey henke, have seen other posts of you around, great info too and noticeable you have played around with it for quite some time and are knowledgable. What pipe would you recommend for the Albatros, tanks, and I guess items as far forward mounted as possible right?
I guess foil tape all around turbine bay and outlet duct is enough. Some formers to seat the pipe in place also needed I guess fron what I have seen around. Just dont want the L-39 to end up like a Marshmellow xdd.
Jan 03, 2019, 10:07 AM
Ah the F-104 looks scary with those tiny wings! But from what I have seen flies pretty good
Jan 06, 2019, 12:14 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Marcos,

I don't visit this forum that often, on the fuel tank issue, I moved the gas tank back closer to the CG and Engine, by removing the center brace and beefing up the outside structure by gluing in the cover behind the canopy and then glassing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockiesguy

On the turbine conversion side a local fellow modeler has it converted to 60N...flyes just as well as the heavy 12cells 120mm EDF.
Jan 10, 2019, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by henke
Just do it A lot of flying promised!!

Two full house turbine jets including fuel for 15flights..... nifty size these freewings

Hello Henke, just purchased a kolibri T35. Anything I should know about regarding running it with diesel fuel?

Quick Reply