Horizon Hobby E-flite UMX Cirrus SR22T BNF - RCGroups Review

E-flite has another great micro in their UMX line. Check out the scale details of the full-scale Cirrus inside!

Splash

For a micro plane, the new UMX Cirrus is not short of scale details!

Product:E-flite UMX Cirrus SR22T BNF
Wingspan:28.8"
Length:20.2"
Wing Area:87.8 sq in
Weight:4.2 oz
Motor:180 Brushless outrunner 3600kV
Battery req:2s 280mAh LiPo
Price:$129.99
Available from:horizonhobby.com
PDF Manual:Click Here

Developed by Cirrus Aircraft in Duluth Minnesota, the single-engine 4-5 seat SR22 has been the world's best-selling general aviation airplane every year since 2003. Just a year ago Horizon Hobby & E-flite released their 1.5m Cirrus SR22T, which quickly became a hit for scale & sport flyers. Now with the UMX Cirrus, those same scale enthusiasts can fly this great looking (and flying) plane in an even smaller location! For being a micro park-flyer, this plane is not small on details. Let's take a closer look!

See others' opinions and discussion on the UMX Cirrus in THIS THREAD.

In the box

As usual, E-flite designs the UMX boxes with a lot of thought, which not only perfectly protects the aircraft during shipping, but also serves as a carrying case. Once the box is open, a few pieces of tape hold the top clamshell of foam over the plane. Under the foam, a few pieces of thin foam sheet protects the paint from abrasion. I recommend keeping these thin sheets when you put the Cirrus back in its box.

Assembly

Not here! Simply charge your battery (not included), plug it in and bind your transmitter. I setup dual rates as recommended in the manual... approx. 70% with 25% expo for low rates, and 100% with 35% expo on high rates.

The one thing you do need to do before flying, is determine the correct battery position for center of gravity. With the E-flite 280mAh pack, I balanced at the recommended 32mm from the leading edge with the battery nearly half-way off the forward edge of the battery tray. Heavier batteries could be moved back on to the tray a bit more. With the stock battery having to be this far forward, I think they should have considered extending the battery tray farther forward. I haven't had the battery work loose off the velcro yet, but it's not quite as secure as it could've been.

Photo Gallery

Flight Video

Flight Photo Gallery

Flying

Using SAFE Select

Provided with many of Horizons' new releases, the UMX Cirrus SR22T includes their SAFE Select technology. Safe Select offers an extra layer of security to newer pilots by limiting pitch and roll angles, and automatic self-leveling when the sticks are released. When Safe Select is activated via the channel 5 switch, the pilot will be unable to go inverted or get in other potentially risky attitudes. Or, the pilot can fly with Safe Select off and simply flick the switch on and release the sticks to get the plane flying level again, as a sort of panic switch. With the Safe Select switch off, you still get the full benefits of AS3X stabilization to help smooth out bumpy air...which is especially nice with these micro aircraft!

To enable (or disable) Safe Select from the UMX Cirrus, power on your transmitter and the Cirrus, hold both sticks to the lower inside corners and then toggle the switch (that is assigned to channel 5) 5 times. I usually leave Safe Select enabled, as it is easily deactivated with the switch, and allows me to let virtually anyone try flying it without fear of crashing. In addition, turning Safe Select on temporarily gives me a super easy hand-launch option!

Takeoff & Landing

The first thing you may notice while taxiing on to the runway, is that the nose wheel likes to wander. This is due to a lot of play in both the bushing and the long flexible control rod going back to the receiver brick. While this may cause the Cirrus to veer slightly off course during roll-out, I haven't found it it be a major issue as these UMX planes need very little runway to get in the air. I'm sure someone will find a mod for this minor issue in no time. Also don't forget that once trimmed out, the UMX planes are easily hand-launched!

The UMX Cirrus SR22T tends to 'stick' to the runway a bit on roll-out, so be prepared for it to kind of 'launch' into the air. It also slows down and glides quite well. Keep a click or two of throttle on for a nice scale rear-mains touch down.

After the second flight of my UMX Cirrus, we noticed one of the rear landing gear dragging as it taxied out. Turned out that there wasn't much glue holding the gear plate to the wing. After we fixed the right one, the left one came loose after a dozen or so landings. A quick and easy fix, but worth a quick tug on yours before going to the field the first time to ensure yours are securely fastened.

Finally, while we were attempting some touch-and-goes, and occasionally during takeoff roll, we noticed that it would sometimes stop suddenly. After closely inspecting the landing gear, I noticed some black powder on the wheel pant near the tire. Turns out that the rear wheels only have a bushing on one side of the axle, allowing the wheel to rub the inside edge of the pant, acting as an unintentional brake. A little work with my X-Acto blade shaved enough plastic away from the wheel for it to roll smoothly. After this quick fix, touch-and-goes were a breeze!

General Flight & Tracking

As expected, the UMX Cirrus flies very nicely; much like its bigger brother. The overall flight envelope of the Cirrus is impressive, very similar to others in the UMX lineup. The long narrow wing gives enough lift to casually fly around at half-throttle. It also glides surprisingly well at low throttle. At full throttle, the power of that tiny brushless motor pulls it around at a pretty good clip!

Aerobatics

Despite being a scale civilian airplane, you can put this little guy through an array of sport aerobatics...and then some! Rolls, loops, cuban eights, point rolls, knife-edge, spins and stall turns were all handled with relative ease. Surprisingly, you can actually get some impressive little tumbles & spins out of this! The brushless 2s power system is plenty capable of vertical climbs and virtually any sport aerobatics you like. I did notice that it rolled slightly faster to the left than the right, likely caused by my wing servos not quite having the same center point and hence mismatched deflection. You may also notice that the ailerons deflect more up than down due to the servo center point not being in the center of the worm-gear travel, which I believe is for built-in differential.

Summary

I personally haven't flown a UMX yet that I haven't enjoyed, and the UMX Cirrus is no exception! The scale details with each UMX release have been increasingly impressive, and I love seeing lights become a standard feature, as these are the perfect thing to fly on those calm summer evenings after the sun goes down, just as we were doing in the video with that great sunset backdrop! While a 28" wingspan is really starting to stretch my definition of "ultra micro", they're still easily transportable and flown in just about any space. With the exception of a loose nose gear and main wheels rubbing on the wheel pants (the latter easily fixed), the UMX Cirrus has a nice set of features and details. More importantly, it flies great and deserves a spot in your micro hangar if scale planes get your prop spinnin'!

Hits

• Great scale looks replicating the full-scale Cirrus
  • Clear canopy and interior details
  • Nice color scheme
  • Good flight envelope with plenty of power
  • Quite sporty in aerobatics
  • Nav lights & strobes!

Misses

• Lots of play in nose wheel
  • Rear wheel mounts need more glue
  • Rear wheels should have a bushing on both sides to prevent rubbing

*Thanks to my pilots Alex Fredrickson and Josh Bunn for their help with this review!

RCGroups.com Review Policies

Our intent is to provide fair and unbiased reviews so that consumers can make informed decisions regarding new products. Some things you should know about our review process:

• RCGroups.com review items are provided by hobby manufacturers and suppliers, some of whom may be RCGroups advertisers.
  • Review products are sent directly to independent reviewers, chosen by RCGroups.com.
  • RCGroups.com reviewers are not compensated by either RCGroups.com or the reviewed item's supplier. However, they are allowed to keep the review items at no charge.
  • Published reviews reflect the opinion of the author.
  • When a conflict arises between a review sponsor and a reviewer (which is rare), RCGroups attempts to work out a satisfactory solution for all parties. In some cases, this may mean that a finished review will go unpublished, or be subjected to editing for technical accuracy. RCGroups reserves the final say as to whether an article is fit for publication.
  • It is always our intent to provide a place for honest and open commentary, and to put the needs of our visitors first. If you feel that something we've published is inaccurate, please let us know using the contact form.

Last edited by Nikolei Zinsli; Apr 17, 2019 at 06:46 PM..
Apr 18, 2019, 08:08 AM
Are you publishing this because of the low sales of this plane.
Apr 19, 2019, 12:24 AM
NiCd + Mabuchi 550 was da bomb
28.8" span is abusing the definition of Micro and the label UMX.
Apr 19, 2019, 09:42 AM
It's LED wing tip lights work well. I'm using a set on my Delta Ray One.
Apr 19, 2019, 09:45 AM
Lifetime Member
Excellent job on the review and the photos look great.
Apr 19, 2019, 02:13 PM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM
Excellent job on the review and the photos look great.
Thanks John!
Latest blog entry: 93" AJ Laser 230z
Apr 19, 2019, 03:22 PM
2ft + wingspan is now "micro" ?
Apr 19, 2019, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trust416
2ft + wingspan is now "micro" ?
"Micro" has nothing to do with wingspan.
Micro depends only on weight.
The V22 Osprey have only 19" wingspan but weight over 400g.
The ASK-21 have over 32" wingspan but is with about 60g weight definitely a ultra micro.
Apr 22, 2019, 08:31 AM
Those are some seriously greased landings in that video above. Cheesiest muzak I've heard in a while too! Whatever happened to it's bigger brother, the blue one? It seems to have gotten a lot of bad word of mouth due to poor quality.
Apr 22, 2019, 09:45 AM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
Thread OP
Haha! I agree with you on the music. Unfortunately the selection of free-to-use tracks on Youtube is rather limited!
Apr 22, 2019, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolei Zinsli
Haha! I agree with you on the music. Unfortunately the selection of free-to-use tracks on Youtube is rather limited!
Maybe just humm something as u fly
Apr 23, 2019, 08:11 AM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
Thread OP
lol - I'm pretty sure everyone does NOT want to hear that!
May 05, 2019, 04:13 PM

Nice Review

As always a great review, enjoyed reading it.
Yesterday, 09:06 AM
They call me Lipo...
I'll just leave these here for now... :
E-flite UMX Cirrus SR22T - TEST FLIGHT and FIRST THOUGHTS! (15 min 5 sec)

E-flite UMX Cirrus SR22T - BELLY LANDER TEST FLIGHT and CRASH! (8 min 24 sec)

Quick Reply