Feb 13, 2019, 08:03 AM
I'm building my RV-8 this weekend. I'm headed to my local hardware store today to buy replacement socket and button head screws for my RV-8 and Cap 232EX. The fasteners in many of these models from China seem to be of poor quality and I've stripped far too many Phillips head screws in the past. I'll probably remove the pilot and I've never been a fan of wheel pants, which I'll remove. Thanks for the build notes!
to remove ads between posts
Feb 13, 2019, 02:15 PM
100% electric since 1990
Thread OP
I'm liking the darker, flatter green over the nearly florescent green in the videos.
Feb 13, 2019, 03:39 PM
AA6JB
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalusrobert
Quick build log and some thoughts.

Start to finish approximately 4 hours at a somewhat leisurely pace ...

I agree ... nice photos and write-up. Your photos make me a sense that you really take your time in the build, that you pay attention to all of the details and that you savor each and very moment of the process. Almost looks like an OR surgeon carefully and neatly laid out all of the instruments and tools in that one photo.
Latest blog entry: Updated FMS 1400mm J3 Cub
Feb 13, 2019, 06:26 PM
Thanks Wilber and Orville !.

Whoo hoo

Thanks Flex !
Feb 13, 2019, 07:20 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by twest
I'm liking the darker, flatter green over the nearly florescent green in the videos.
I personally preferred the popping green in the vids as it would look so good in a grey sky but im cool with this too Mine shows up tmrw
Feb 13, 2019, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajora
I agree ... nice photos and write-up. Your photos make me a sense that you really take your time in the build, that you pay attention to all of the details and that you savor each and very moment of the process. Almost looks like an OR surgeon carefully and neatly laid out all of the instruments and tools in that one photo.
Thank you...there's a fine line between profession and obsession...oh, and madness is really close too!
Feb 13, 2019, 11:46 PM
Maiden Flight!

The huge Carbon Z T-28 was, until now, the easiest maiden I had ever experienced. Today's weather was 15 degrees C and 10-12 kt. winds - this girl handled it like a champ!

When I watched the product videos, I found it hard to believe the stability of the plane but I'm here to tell you gentlemen, it is real. Takeoffs are a non event and she's airborne before you know it, even at half throttle she climbs out in less than 20 yards. In flight mode 1 or 2 this plane could very easily be used as a trainer. She can (and does quite well) fly soooo slow without stalling and with full flaps slow flight is a sight to behold. The right wing will drop in a stall but you have to work to get it there...recovery is pretty quick and not much altitude is lost because this plane can fly so slow...did I mention it can fly slow? I was landing on the mains after only three approaches (with full flaps you'll want to keep a little power in until the mains settle).

Flight mode 3 was the best choice for aerobatic flight since it is, well, set up for that! Hammerheads, inverted flight, snap rolls, even rolling circles are very easy but, she'll climb vertically really well when you give her full throttle! Really had a great time flying and messing around with the CG...didn't really get that nailed down with the winds but ended up moving the battery forward about 30mm or so from the original position.

7 minute flights on my 6S 5000's left me with an average of 3.8 volts/cell when flying a mix of full throttle climbs and half throttle aerobatics...she'll cruise at around 1/3 throttle.

So after 10 flights on her the words that come to mind are fun and confidence; she's such a great flier and handles so well that experienced pilots could easily fly her at a park! I have flown both flight modes (stock and expert) with the major difference in the two being mode 1 - 2 and 3 are the same. Mode 1 in the expert flight mode configuration introduces crow mixed with the throttle channel - I think it's going to be my favorite! Overall I think this plane is going to be a great addition to someone's hanger whether you're a hard core 3D pilot looking for something slow and fun or just a fan of the RV...she flies as good as she looks!

***since the stock prop had the back plate issue, I put an APC 16x8 electric on her and the numbers were a bit much....2010 watts and 91A...yikes! I'll order another prop and hopefully the back of the hub on this one will have been molded a lot better.
Last edited by daedalusrobert; Feb 15, 2019 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Flight mode testing and alternate prop info.
Feb 13, 2019, 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Mike
A very nice series of pictures! Seems to have not much issues while assembling. Can some tell which size the spinner is?
Base diameter is 90mm, height is approximately 85mm.
Feb 14, 2019, 12:00 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Maiden Flight!

The huge Carbon Z T-28 was, until now, the easiest maiden I had ever experienced. Today's weather was 15 degrees C and 10-12 kt. winds - this girl handled it like a champ!

When I watched the product videos, I found it hard to believe the stability of the plane but I'm here to tell you gentlemen, it is real. Takeoffs are a non event and she's airborne before you know it, even at half throttle she climbs out in less than 20 yards. In flight mode 1 or 2 this plane could very easily be used as a trainer. She can (and does quite well) fly soooo slow without stalling and with full flaps slow flight is a sight to behold. The right wing will drop in a stall but you have to work to get it there...recovery is pretty quick and not much altitude is lost because this plane can fly so slow...did I mention it can fly slow? I was landing on the mains after only three approaches (with full flaps you'll want to keep a little power in until the mains settle).

Flight mode 3 was the best choice for aerobatic flight since it is, well, set up for that! Hammerheads, inverted flight, snap rolls, even rolling circles are very easy but, she'll climb vertically really well when you give her full throttle! Really had a great time flying and messing around with the CG...didn't really get that nailed down with the winds but ended up moving the battery forward about 30mm or so from the original position.

7 minute flights on my 6S 5000's left me with an average of 3.8 volts/cell when flying a mix of full throttle climbs and half throttle aerobatics...she'll cruise at around 1/3 throttle.

Overall I think this plane is going to be a great addition to someone's hanger whether you're a hard core 3D pilot looking for something slow and fun or just a fan of the RV...she flies as good as she looks!
Grrat review, photos. Im pumped thx
Feb 14, 2019, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Base diameter is 90mm, height is approximately 85mm.
Thx mate, seems like it equals 3,5 inch? Or is it 90mm exactly? I'm wondering if a falcon 17/8 E-prop and a vented falcon 89mm E-spinner would be a good match for this bird...
Feb 14, 2019, 09:48 AM
30 yrs. Of Aircraft flying!
Quote:
Maiden Flight!

Overall I think this plane is going to be a great addition to someone's hanger whether you're a hard core 3D pilot looking for something slow and fun or just a fan of the RV...she flies as good as she looks!
Very nice, Where video. I keep looking on utube and so far not found any new ones of it. Well i spent my money else ware but might pick one up later down the road. its just a big plane and I had to remind myself i got rid of my 74" cause it was big took up lots of room in my trailer. if i sell a couple planes i might get one. I still have my eye on the green night version of the Extra 300.
Feb 14, 2019, 11:58 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Maiden Flight!

Just noticed you took the alien pilot out it looks less goofy without, but goofy is good too
Feb 14, 2019, 06:21 PM
Robert, congrats on the maiden. That report confirms exactly what I suspected of this RV8.
Feb 14, 2019, 09:02 PM
3D Sunset Flier
My bud Bryce almost has his RTF. Itís yuuuuuge! Canít wait for the maiden tomorrow...if the rain subsides here in the desert!
Feb 14, 2019, 10:46 PM
30 yrs. Of Aircraft flying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzed
My bud Bryce almost has his RTF. Itís yuuuuuge! Canít wait for the maiden tomorrow...if the rain subsides here in the desert!
Very nice, the lights look nice, the picture flex posted this evening was awesome, well it was a short video at sunset with lights.
are they any lights in the front? I am loving the headlights in the front of my Timber X

Quick Reply