100% electric since 1990
Thread OP
Discussion

Flex innovations RV-8 super PNP

Has anyone seen this announcement? 75" RV-8 foamie:

https://www.flexinnovations.com/product-p/fpm3570a.htm

Also available in night flyer version:

https://www.flexinnovations.com/product-p/fpm3580a.htm

Flies on 6s, new 70-sized motor turns a 17.5-7 prop, 100 amp esc, weighs about 10 lbs 3 oz with 1,120 square inches of wing area.

Looking at the video, capable of mild 3d flying, but most folks will probably do a mix of sport aerobatics and slow flying with flaps (STOL capability shown in the video).

Aileron/flap full-wing mixing pre-programmed into the Aura when using high rates.

With the loss of the carbon-z t-28, I was worried that nobody would produce "big" foamies anymore. This one is semi-scale, can do some STOL flying, solid sport aerobatics, and some basic 3d. I'm pretty excited.

Floats available. Or will be soon.

It looks like the pilot figure is removable, so you can either paint it or replace it with a more realistic one if you want.

Edit: I finally figured out how to get some of the pictures off the website. Here is one of the RV-8 on floats with Quique for size reference:
Last edited by twest; Dec 08, 2018 at 08:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 07, 2018, 03:43 PM
Flex Innovations RV-8, Quique Somenzini One Battery (8 min 11 sec)
Dec 07, 2018, 04:39 PM
DFS#000178
It looks amazing. Come tax season this is going to make my choice on the Freewing F-22 more difficult.
Dec 07, 2018, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
It looks amazing....
+1.

Hopefully they will have a video of it flying with the floats on it soon too. Looks like an awesome flying plane.
Dec 07, 2018, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg
+1.

Hopefully they will have a video of it flying with the floats on it soon too. Looks like an awesome flying plane.
Working on it! I値l hopefully have a float video up sometime Monday afternoon.
Dec 07, 2018, 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D-Seth
Working on it! I値l hopefully have a float video up sometime Monday afternoon.
Looking forward to seeing the video. I do a lot of float flying and I知 going to be needing something for this upcoming flying season. I have been thinking of adding them to my QQ Extra 300. Might just go with the RV-8 instead. I知 assuming it will hover with the floats on it.
Dec 07, 2018, 10:22 PM
Quote:
Looking forward to seeing the video. I do a lot of float flying and I知 going to be needing something for this upcoming flying season. I have been thinking of adding them to my QQ Extra 300. Might just go with the RV-8 instead. I知 assuming it will hover with the floats on it.
Go to website as there are pics.....
Dec 07, 2018, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1
Go to website as there are pics.....
Ha! You are correct dale. Totally missed that picture. I壇 say it looks to hover nicely with the floats on it.
Dec 07, 2018, 10:59 PM
30 yrs. Of Aircraft flying!
Looks awesome. nice colors.
Dec 07, 2018, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Ha! You are correct dale. Totally missed that picture. I壇 say it looks to hover nicely with the floats on it.
Of course it does and if it didn't you would make it so. Watching vid i could not tell how large was until saw pic of plane with QQ ... WOW....I had not read size of wingspan yet.....As i am only 5' 5" i could sit on top and fly myself around. hahahhaah
Dec 08, 2018, 02:06 AM
Suspended Account
Plane looks absolutely AMAZING
Dec 08, 2018, 02:08 AM
Man thats nice!
Dec 08, 2018, 03:17 AM
A&P in training
Badass. Had the pleasure of working on a real 8. This is definitely on the wishlist.
Dec 08, 2018, 02:20 PM

I'm in !!!

Just (pre) ordered one and a couple of batteries with their intro price on plane and $20 off batteries.

I had sworn that I would never have a big heavy foam airplane of this size again after all the issues with my T-28 and it's ultimate demise from continuous retract problems killing the BEC in the ESC. Last one resulted in total loss of the airplane. Loved flying it other than the random and apparently un-fixable design/equipment issues.

Anyway I love the full-sized Vans RV aircraft having helped build and flown several RV-3, -4, -6, and -8.

Looking forward to this fun to fly not too heavy scale-ish plane for those relaxing days. QQ sure made it look good, and that flying he demonstrated is just what I have in mind.
Dec 08, 2018, 03:22 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBeghtol
Just (pre) ordered one and a couple of batteries with their intro price on plane and $20 off batteries.

I had sworn that I would never have a big heavy foam airplane of this size again after all the issues with my T-28 and it's ultimate demise from continuous retract problems killing the BEC in the ESC. Last one resulted in total loss of the airplane. Loved flying it other than the random and apparently un-fixable design/equipment issues.

Anyway I love the full-sized Vans RV aircraft having helped build and flown several RV-3, -4, -6, and -8.

Looking forward to this fun to fly not too heavy scale-ish plane for those relaxing days. QQ sure made it look good, and that flying he demonstrated is just what I have in mind.
Yes it will fly better then that t28 also I loved my big zt28 as well. I was one of the lucky ones that never had the gear issues.

Quick Reply