May 20, 2020, 04:38 PM
I ve been visiting forums for 20 years now. I never had to put someone on an ignore list...
until now... took me a week or two to understand what's really going on here.
Never wanna read anything from this ekkothing and his best friend kaptor.
This is now a better place for my german ass

btt: do you guys like the night video?
Last edited by simplemind; May 20, 2020 at 11:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2020, 04:45 PM
2Doggs
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Highly Offensive Content (Immediate suspension).
May 20, 2020, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplemind
I ve been visiting forums for 20 years now. I never had to put someone on an ignore list...
until now... took me a week or two to understand what's really going on here.
Never wanna ready anything from this ekkothing and his best friend kaptor.
This is now a better place for my german ass

btt: do you guys like the night video?
I liked the iso 400 one the best but I don't know good video from good wine. In both cases, more please.
May 20, 2020, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Ah, just put 2 and 2 together and realised that was your video (the one I saw on youtube). Yes, absolutely ISO 400 looks much more natural. I'm curious, would you be able to take a photo with the drone at ISO-100 at night? I'd very much like to see how well it takes iso-100 shots at night. Thanks.
May 20, 2020, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STVideo
...I bought this compact folding table MH100 QUECHUA . Sometimes the drone automatically lands on it, but more often it is placed manually, or in the hand. But taking off is fine.
Table Top 42 X 64 cm Height: 30 cm unfolded...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hover Hound
This table is a brilliant idea, STVideo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaman5705
...I think, those silicone extension feet are much better alternative for all situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhonb
I have thought about this as I just can not bend over some days because of a bad back. I think I will go shopping.
The table is brilliant but I would caution landing on a small table in significant winds. GPS drones with Visual Flow and Ultrasonic sensors tend to 'give-up' just before touchdown during landing. And that makes sense because we don't want the props striking the surface just to hit a specific landing spot. But this lack of correction in the last few inches of altitude results in some drift in windy conditions that might cause the drone to catch the edge of the table somehow, treating us to helpless show as the drone performs a tilt-over crash.

The lack of an instant kill switch was the first thing I lamented with GPS drones, coming from racing drones; where I had never hand caught a live drone but just tossed it into my hand as I hit the kill switch...ahem. And FWIW, I always spin/yaw the drone rear-on so right-is-right and left-is-left as I near the landing phase. It's weird, because I have no problem maintaining orientation while the drone is moving in forward flight out to VLOS limits, but stationary flight requires some thought before I act so that's too risky for landing precision.

I typically hand launch and recover at a 60 up-angle overhead. But I rest the drone on a relatively stiff but padded Pytech landing pad during startup and my own checks as the drone is acquiring satellites. That also gives me a landing backup option if I lose my nerve for a hand catching in gusts or low-light. I also carry the silicone leg extensions in my bag because I've forgotten the pad on more than one occasion, but that's the only time I install them.
May 20, 2020, 05:58 PM
Thread OP
Guys: please cool down for a while don't give a reason.

Try to stick to the forum rules and ignore.
I'm still around and going nowhere. Relax.
May 20, 2020, 11:29 PM

Video setting Vivid/General EV 0.0/+0.3 May 20

As I have no know-how of post editing, trying to find best (or better) setting parameters in Navi app.

Did compassion of Vivid/General, EV +0.3/0.0
In the sunny condition, to my poor eyes Vivid EV 0.0 is appealing.

Timeline is;
0:16 FW FC 1063B, Camera 1020A
0:24 Gimbal gain 100% (default)
0:33 Max speed 10m/s
1:12 4K 30FPS, Video Quality Hight, W/B Auto, Color Vivid, Style 64/64 (default)
1:23 ISO Auto, EV +0.3
1:30 Take off
1:56 Video Vivid, EV +0.3
2:49 Vivid, EV 0.0
3:24 General
3:44 EV +0.3
4:09 X8 Cam converted to 1080P, Left Vivid EV +0.3, Right General EV +0.3
4:31 Left Vivid, EV +0.3, right Vivid, EV 0.0
Looks Vivid EV 0.0 is more appealing
4:58 FPV Vivid, EV +0.3
5:50 General, EV +0.3
6:36 X8 Cam converted to 1080P Left General, EV +0.3, Right Vivid, EV +0.3
To my poor eyes, Vivid mode is more appealing

FIMI X8 Vivid setting test May 20 (7 min 9 sec)

Video setting;
4K 30FPS, Video Quality Hight, W/B Auto, Color Vivid/General, EV +0.3 & 0.0
Gimbal Gain 100% (default) Slight jello observed in backward flight at 2:35
JSR UV filter attached

In sunny condition, to my poor eyes, Vivid, EV 0.0 looks more appealing.

Timeline is;
0:00 Vivid, EV +0.3
0:27 Vivid, EV 0.0
0:55 General, EV +0.3
1:16 Side by side - Left Vivid, EV +0.3, Right General, EV +0.3
1:38 Side by side - Left Vivid, EV +0.3, Right Vivid, EV 0.0
2:03 Vivid, EV +0.3
2:35 General, EV +0.3
Slight jello observed (Gimbal gain 100% default)

3:06 Side by side Left General, EV +0.3, Right Vivid, EV +0.3

FIMI X8 4K 30FPS Vivid General and EV comparison May 20 (3 min 38 sec)

Aiolosimport
May 20, 2020, 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by webvan
Yeah and we have the first HDR video, better colors I'd say, less of that annoying red/blue case. Unfortunately the frame rate is 26.25 instead of 30 !

https://youtu.be/Q7ir1xwa7R8
Not an HDR-container that Youtube can read, so lost in translation but it puzzles me these videos from the X8SE20 as they do look decent on small screens, but the moment you blow them up, on a 4K screen, like a 4K OLED TV, they crumble a lot and also more then I recall from the old bird X8SE.
I see massive pixel noise lurking at the bottom right corner at around 25 seconds and the houses in the mid-center at 45second are quite blunt, but it is vital that one uses a big 4k screen and make sure the stream is loaded in 4k.
// https://i.imgur.com/F5MtEu9.mp4
it can also be the joining & cutting-software or even YT-encoding.
Last edited by DaneLaw; May 21, 2020 at 12:13 AM.
May 20, 2020, 11:49 PM

[email protected] Blurring, Cropping and night ISO

Quote:
looking good, looking good...

...the 2.7k60fps is 'cropped in', or zoomed in compared to 4k60...one could use this as some sort of a zooming lens...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AadilF1
There is still something off about that 2.7k 60fps, firstly it's not very sharp, watching this on my 1440p monitor it doesn't look as sharp as 1440p should. It looks sort of blurry...

Quote:
Cropping is the same on the X8 2018. I doubt this will change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs
Possibly, but it's not certain.

It does look like the 2018 X8 simply cropped the image, rather than resizing the whole image...

I wonder how the 1080 footage will compare? They surely wouldn't crop off three quarters of the image, and resampling at an integer value should result in few artifacts. But then again I don't recall reading too much about the X8 1080 video quality.

WFH are you there?
Believe it or not I don't have any 1080p clips from the X8-2018. I dropped to 2.7K on one shoot to get 60fps, but the image is far worse than we're seeing from the X8-2020 in [email protected] So I stay at [email protected] for the most flexibility in post-production while typically publishing to 1080p for a variety of reasons (although even 1080p upscaled to 2K looks better after upload based on the increased bitrate allocation by YouTube).

Blurring:
Are we talking about this video?

Fimi X8 Se 2020 | Raw Footage Full Auto 2.7K 60Fps (3 min 58 sec)

@AadilF1 Is it possible that the 2.7K (1440p) version wasn't rendered by YouTube when you viewed it?

But assuming we're looking at the same version, YouTube reports [email protected] using the VP9 codec. The near-constant movement causes some blurriness relative to stagnant video as a function of the bitrate (used for motion-estimation depth in the spatial compression). And it seems that 'medium' bitrate is currently necessary to achieve smooth video with the X8-2020. But regardless of the uploaded bitrate, YouTube's VP-9 re-encode is poorly tuned for motion, which is both inherent to the VP9 codec (relative to AVC/HEVC) and based on YouTube's choice of re-encode parameters which prioritize streaming and storage over quality.

That said, I'm viewing it on a 4k monitor (upscaled) and IMO it looks plenty sharp. That is, it looks quite impressive and fully usable straight out of the camera for most use cases. I'm not even sure that folks would want it any sharper using in-camera sharpening as it could lead to aliasing and edge-blooming. So while I would not characterize this video as blurry, I'm convinced that the original looks even better while additional sharpening could be applied aesthetically in post-production.
Cropping:
At 60fps we're simply seeing the limits of the HiSilicon SoC. Keep in mind that 'down-sampling' a full scan of the 12MP sensor to 2.7K@60 would suggest that 4K@60 is possible, based on the required scan-rate. Pixel-binning or line-skipping might accommodate a pseudo full-scan @60fps, but these techniques generally don't look as good as a native sub-scan. So unless Fimi becomes convinced otherwise, we're stuck with a sub-scan for [email protected], and I'm guessing that a similar sub-scan is down-sampled for high-framerate 1080p. The downside is the cropping effect which also lowers the dynamic range otherwise available from the full sensor.

But we really need to take a chapter out of the DJI threads where the confirmation bias turns these issues into features. Case in point is ‘HQ’ mode on the Mavic 2 Pro which is a native 8.3MP sub-scan (55 FOV crop) of the 1” 20MP sensor leading to reduced dynamic range. This was a matter of necessity after DJI discovered that Allwinner SoC’s don’t match up to Ambarella SoC’s. So they were forced to engage in destructive down-sampling in ‘Full FOV’ mode yielding a mere ~5MP image definition at [email protected] UHD (relative to the usual 8.3MP resolution and definition). It became a crowd pleaser as Full FOV output is now hailed as just the right 'softness' while nobody seems to notice the reduced dynamic range in 'HQ' mode.

So it's all just a matter of perspective.
Night ISO selection and blurring:
Now this video by our own simplemind:

Fimi X8 Se 2020 | Raw Footage Night Video 3 Different Settings (4 min 9 sec)

This is really 'too soft' with Auto ISO under these extreme low-light conditions (dark moonless night?).

At ISO 400 the image definition improves considerably, but it could still use some exposure adjustment and sharpening in post-production IMO.

Based on these differences in softness with ISO, we can only assume that the X8-2020 has a rather aggressive noise-reduction (NR) algorithm that really kicks-into high-gear at night (high ISO).

We definitely need to keep the movements slow at night as simplemind has done when using manual ISO 400, because we don't know how low this rather minimal ISO has driven the shutter-speed at night. I would probably do multiple passes of the same shot while increasing the Ev (Exposure value; which effectively decreases the shutter speed with manual ISO) just to see which one turns out best with relatively slow movements. And since we're keeping movements slow at night, I could make an exception and utilize 24fps, because it lets-in more light than 30fps. Hopefully we can discern blurring due to slow shutter at night through the FPV feed.

Auto ISO preserves shutter-speed but evidently at the expense of high ISO and associated NR softening, so I'm rethinking my recommendation of Auto ISO in low-light. I've never tested the X8-2018 beyond Civil Twilight where ISO 200/400 seem sufficient.
Last edited by wingsfromheaven; May 21, 2020 at 10:45 AM.
May 20, 2020, 11:53 PM
Now this video shows some blocking in the grass in the foreground, particularly with any movement. But note the 'medium' quality (bitrate) selection. So spatial compression during motion will definitely suffer.

FIMI X8 SE 2020 HDR 4K 2.7K 1080p video mode review (3 min 2 sec)
May 21, 2020, 12:16 AM
I like the video alot. Given that it is medium bitrate, it looks nice to my amateur eyes.

I like detail @2,7k60fps. Also you can the see cropping very good. Is it really that much of a disadvantage?
May 21, 2020, 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiolosimport
As I have no know-how of post editing, trying to find best (or better) setting parameters in Navi app.

Did comparison of Vivid/General, EV +0.3/0.0
In the sunny condition, to my poor eyes Vivid EV 0.0 is appealing.
[]
Aiolosimport
Love these tests!
Yes, it's a bit bold but Vivid Ev 0.0 looks nice. Perhaps General Ev 0.0 would be nice too.
May 21, 2020, 01:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneLaw
Not an HDR-container that Youtube can read, so lost in translation but it puzzles me these videos from the X8SE20 as they do look decent on small screens, but the moment you blow them up, on a 4K screen, like a 4K OLED TV, they crumble a lot and also more then I recall from the old bird X8SE.
I see massive pixel noise lurking at the bottom right corner at around 25 seconds and the houses in the mid-center at 45second are quite blunt, but it is vital that one uses a big 4k screen and make sure the stream is loaded in 4k.
// https://i.imgur.com/F5MtEu9.mp4
it can also be the joining & cutting-software or even YT-encoding.
Wow! If your upload is any indication of what you're seeing on your 4K UHD TV then that's not what I'm seeing on a 4K UHD monitor. I can discern some noise in the gravel parking lot and gray roofs at 00:25, particularly at 2x zoom. And I think the over-exposure is blowing-out the details at 00:45 but it still looks quite nice.

Maybe try again now that YouTube has had time to render the 4k version? The video on your TV looks like 720p with an extremely low bitrate (like 3Mbit/s).
Last edited by wingsfromheaven; May 21, 2020 at 02:16 AM.
May 21, 2020, 02:32 AM

Panorma photo by Image Composite Editor

Hearing the complaints of no panorama function in FIMI Navi app ((X8 2018 verstion), I like to readdress easy making panorama using free soft of Image Composite Editor (ICE).
It only takes 1min to make panorama photo.

Timeline is;
0:03 FPV FW FC 1063B
0:24 Photo 1 – 4:3 12M General, EV +0.3
Then slow left turn to next photo position with 10-20% overwrap with previous photo
0:39 Photo 2
0:55 Photo 3
1:08 Photo 4
1:20 Drug the photo 1 – 4 on the desk top and Open ICE
1:24 Drug photo 1, 2, 3, 4 to ICE
1:34 STITCH
1:41 Enlarge the image
1:53 CROP
1:56 Trimming
2:11 EXPORT
2:16 File Name Panorama
2:20 Save
2:25 Open Panorama photo

FIMI X8 Panorama by Image Composite Editor May 20 (2 min 38 sec)

Photos are attached.

Aiolosimport
May 21, 2020, 05:14 AM

Shipping: Processing time:Expected ..

Thx Banggood ...

Quick Reply