Jul 16, 2019, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sburnolo
It is a strange fall indeed.Sure it's not a propeller.
That look like a prop shaking itself loose.

See pic

Its very easy to miss that tap when attaching the props. For that reason I NEVER remove the props from my X8 drones. They always stay on the motors!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 16, 2019, 08:49 PM
St. Augustine, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777MARTIAN
I agree. The way the quad wobbled a bit at first before spinning out of control, like it was unbalanced, could be from a prop coming loose and then flying off. Does anyone know if all the props and/or pieces were recovered.
Jul 16, 2019, 09:30 PM
Not crashing = Not flying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptor
You have the CE version.
^ joking ^
Jul 17, 2019, 01:54 AM
Hello from Athens-Greece !
Today I'll have my FIMI,let's see what we will see ...
Jul 17, 2019, 02:11 AM
Quote:

See pic

Its very easy to miss that tap when attaching the props. For that reason I NEVER remove the props from my X8 drones. They always stay on the motors!

But without a propeller it wouldn't have to fall like a rock.
It's supposed to start very quickly in some direction while it's falling.
Or tip over.
There apart from the vibration has fallen smoothly.
Jul 17, 2019, 02:56 AM
Even though FIMI states their tests on the legs (especially the front ones) is performed X number of times, it seems as a common problem among the X8s. I'm tempted to open the bird and check it out and probably add some tape or braided cable cover. As far as I can see, none of the screws necessary to open the upper front case has the factory sticker seals. Has anyone tried just out of curiosity to see the condition of the arm cables? On a telegram group of owners, some there have pointed out after few months of flying, folding the arms, cables start to show some damage. This could be one of the reasons why there's some birds falling with no reason at all, despite the human errors and not doing the proper preflight checks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jul 17, 2019, 04:50 AM
Is there a possibility to send me or post the file to print please? I want to give it a try.
Jul 17, 2019, 04:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroek
I redesigned my filter holder from scratch, and this time it is just about as minimalistic as it can be. It will still limit the gimbal a little if it tries to point down and backwards, but that is probably a very infrequent position. You'd have to have the gimbal pointing straight down, and then pitch the drone upwards in the front. Not saying it will not happen, just that it is probably not the most likely position to have. It is also possible that the firmware does not allow the gimbal to move to this position, I haven't tested.

One disadvantage is that the locking arms on this one will be more fragile due to the printing direction, but at the same time they don't need to bend much to lock in place, so with care I think it will work OK. And this one is pretty light as well (without any filter, but a small gel filter will weigh next to nothing).

It sure isn't easy to model all the curves on the camera and lens barrel accurately, but I came quite close.
Is there a possibility to send me or post the file to print please? I want to give it a try.
Jul 17, 2019, 05:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawille
At this time, I haven't decided if I will release this or not. I'm still waiting for my ND filter sheets to arrive, and for sure I am going to test this myself before deciding anything. I'll update here whenever I have anything to report, good or bad.
Jul 17, 2019, 05:56 AM

How modified DJI Booster extends range?

Purchased JAGETRADE for DJI Range extender and made mod to fit X8 as per attached photos.

Did test flight to check how Mod DJI booster can extend the range;
A) Start with stock antenna and fly over the hill (LOS is blocked by tree) and measure the distance signal disconnect (Emergency RTH is activated) - Look at the photo.
B) When X8 returns to the position on LOS, exit Emergency RTH. Set Mod. DJI extender to X8 - Look at the phto.
C) Fly over to the hill and LOS is blocked by tree and measure the distance Emergency RTH activated.

I set max. altitude at 114.4m and reached this altitude when take off and keep this altitude whole the test to have equal condition of stock antenna and attached extender.
Results are;
1) stock antenna – Emergency RTH was activated at 479.6m
2) Attached Mod DJI extender – Emergency RTH was activated at 543.0m
Simple calculation is 543.0m divided by 479.6m = about 113%
I should do actual test in open place (as did before for 5,200m range over the ocean) to have exact number but it seems Mod DJI extender can extend range somewhat.

Time chart is;
0sec Preflight check
23sec Latest FW FC 1054E
31sec Maintenance Mode
1min1sec Drone Status All Normal & Weak
1min12sec Take off
1min20sec Hovering at 7.4m H
1min39sec Stock antenna (No range booster attached)
2min14sec Reached set Max. Alt. 114.3m
2min22sec Forward flight to over pass the hill (hill height is 104.8m)
3min1sec 180degree turn to see take off point
3min19sec Flight backward to see when take off point is blocked by tree
3min31sec Take off point was blocked (429.8m from Take off)
3min36sec Reached Max distance of 479.6m just before disconnect
- Cut disconnect portion for not showing latitude/longitude -
3min38sec FPV back to normal at 440m distance in Emergency RTH (failsafe) mode.
3min51sec Cancelled Emergency RTH
4min – 4min45sec During the hovering, set Mod. DJI signal booster to X8’s stock antenna.
4min46sec Backward flight
5min9sec Tree blocked LOS at 421.7m distance
5min24sec Reached Max distance of 543.0m just before disconnect
- Cut disconnect portion for not showing latitude/longitude -
5min25sec FPV Back to normal at 447.6m distance
5min29sec LOS at 419.4m distance
7min18sec Mod DJI range booster is observed
7min23sec Landing pad detected at 5.8m H
7min37sec Landed just missed landing pad

FIMI X8 How Modified DJI signal booster extends range Jul 17 (7 min 43 sec)

FIMI X8's cam video for above test;
Time chart is;
5sec Take off
1min20sec Hovering at 7.4m H
30sec Stock antenna (No range booster attached)
1min3sec Reached set Max. Alt. 114.3m
1min20sec Forward flight to over pass the hill (hill height is 104.8m)
1min54sec 180degree turn to see take off point
2min12sec Flight backward to see when take off point is blocked by tree
2min23sec Take off point was blocked (429.8m from Take off)
2min31sec Reached Max distance of 479.6m just before disconnect
2min33sec Emergency RTH
3min9sec Cancelled Emergency RTH
– 3min56sec During the hovering, set Mod. DJI signal booster to X8’s stock antenna.
3min47sec Backward flight
4min40sec Reached Max distance of 543.0m just before disconnect
4min43sec Emergency RTH
6min55sec Mod DJI range booster is observed
7min12sec Landed just missed landing pad

FIMI X8 Cam video of range test for Modified DJI booster Jul 17 (7 min 16 sec)

UAV Forecast at the test and temp. before and after flight are attached.

Aiolosimport

P.S. Unless attempting serious long rage test (more than 5km), I think stock antenna is more than enough for my usages.
Last edited by aiolosimport; Jul 17, 2019 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Additional comment
Jul 17, 2019, 06:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroek
At this time, I haven't decided if I will release this or not. I'm still waiting for my ND filter sheets to arrive, and for sure I am going to test this myself before deciding anything. I'll update here whenever I have anything to report, good or bad.
I have filters from my old MAVIC AIR so I was thinking to use the ND32 with your frame design and a small counterbalance behind, I'm not good with CAD so I was hopping to get the file from you and try in my own risk.
Jul 17, 2019, 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawille
I have filters from my old MAVIC AIR so I was thinking to use the ND32 with your frame design and a small counterbalance behind, I'm not good with CAD so I was hopping to get the file from you and try in my own risk.
The problem mroek have is that people use HIS designs and sell it making money.
Many sell his designs already on Ebay.

Don't be surprised if he don't give you the cad files.
Last edited by 777MARTIAN; Jul 17, 2019 at 08:05 AM.
Jul 17, 2019, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiolosimport
Purchased JAGETRADE for DJI Range extender and made mod to fit X8 as per attached photos.

Did test flight to check how Mod DJI booster can extend the range;
A) Start with stock antenna and fly over the hill (LOS is blocked by tree) and measure the distance signal disconnect (Emergency RTH is activated) - Look at the photo.
B) When X8 returns to the position on LOS, exit Emergency RTH. Set Mod. DJI extender to X8 - Look at the phto.
C) Fly over to the hill and LOS is blocked by tree and measure the distance Emergency RTH activated.
aiolosimport, have you shared your design of the 'sun-shade'? If not would you be prepared to do so, it looks really good, lightweight and practical?

How is it attached to the TX, I cannot see from the photos?
Jul 17, 2019, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 574Y51CK
Even though FIMI states their tests on the legs (especially the front ones) is performed X number of times, it seems as a common problem among the X8s. I'm tempted to open the bird and check it out and probably add some tape or braided cable cover. As far as I can see, none of the screws necessary to open the upper front case has the factory sticker seals. Has anyone tried just out of curiosity to see the condition of the arm cables? On a telegram group of owners, some there have pointed out after few months of flying, folding the arms, cables start to show some damage. This could be one of the reasons why there's some birds falling with no reason at all, despite the human errors and not doing the proper preflight checks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I removed the front plastic cover to see what is going on with the wires in front legs. They seemed not damaged, but when the legs are folded, the wires in one leg are extremely strained/too short. I have a feeling if I just touch it, one of the wires will break. I can't imagine why they didn't put there a few mm longer wires to prevent the damage!
Probably poor QC again, because in the other front leg it's a better situation, the wires are not so strained.
After all I'm not sure what to do, I mean, I'm pretty sure so strained wires will be damaged eventually and I can't just be calm when flying, knowing that.
Those things COULD be the reason some of X8's fell.

Regarding their statement that they've tested folding and unfolding legs XY times - for me it doesn't mean anything, because if they had proper tests and QC, this drone would be much better product, with much less issues, after all.

But we got what we paid for, so let's try to get best of it.
Jul 17, 2019, 08:18 AM
Quote:
The problem mroek have is that people use HIS designs and sell it making money.
Many sell his designs already on Ebay.

Don't be surprised if he don't give you the cad files.
I completely understand, there are always chancers, what we can do!.
I have downloaded the gimbal protector from thingiverse and printed the module, turn up great, if him the designer then Thanks a mil.

Quick Reply