Dec 12, 2018, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777MARTIAN
Aliexpress have them....pre order.

That is a $180 different compare to the pre order price I paid.
It also turned up on Gearbest for a preliminary €443 ... but so far only to be notified when it arrives: https://www.gearbest.com/fimi-x8-_gear/
to remove ads between posts
Dec 12, 2018, 01:17 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacks
Sorry, but one CAN go wrong with Xiaomi devices if one follows hype only and does not double check the facts
Projecting the quality and value of Xiaomi smartphones onto prospective drones is a bit too optimistic I'd say.
One thing to consider that Xiaomi became a large conglomerate that acquired dozens of promising startups over short period of time in order to build their Mi Home ecosystem. The experience may vary from device to device as they are designed by different companies and share the branding mostly.

Let's take the Mi Home crypto-advertising from the video above - sure it is great and good value BUT IT WAS designed for Chinese market for most of the part hence most of their smart devices are not available in official distribution outside of China. There are few consequences like lack of support (sorry sir, this device is not supported outside of China, they are not even listed on EU/US Mi Home servers), lack of compatibility (the Mi smart light switch is square while light switch boxes in Europe are round).
Yeah theire products (for now) are mainly designed for the Asian market, but if you DO double check the facts you should know that probably about 98% of their huge line of products work just fine globaly. You just need to stick to listing them with the "Mainland China" server. That's how I use these products, and that works just fine. Up till now I've not felt the need to use the EU (based in Germany) server at all. Most functions are going over zigbee anyway.

The square light switches also come in wireless versions, so in Europe you just stick them on top of the round hole in the wall. I know from fact (I have about 30 of these domotica products in use here)just about all work fine. Some (Aqara) products have poor English translation however, but the ONLY product that refuses to work here for me is the XiaoFang IP CAM, but just about all sellers have that mentioned clearly in theire listing, that it's not supported worldwide. You can still hack it with custom firmware, and the other Xiaomi IP cams work just fine out of the box.

So yeah I will still say that basicly you can't go wrong with these products, especially when they go for 1/3th of the price compared to other domotica hardware. I have my Xiaomi / Yeelight lightning combined with Phillips HUE here, using Home Assistant, and the only problems I'm having is still with my overpriced HUE bulbs. The Xiaomi products designed for the market on the other side of the globe.. still remain to function just fine.

And Xiaomi is expending more and more to the EU market, they are already active in Poland and Spain, I believe they start working with Media Markt in Germany, a few of theire phones are now getting (official) sold here by Dutch companys, and I believe Xiaomi just made a huge deal with IKEA a few weeks ago. So they are not sticking to the China market at all. What this will do with prices in the end.. will be the other question. But for now you always get a lot of bang for what you pay!

Quote:
When it comes to drone - let's face it: drone business is not Xiaomi's main concern and they are lacking a long term interest in that industry. It's more like push it to the market and forget it approach.
They already demonstrated that they are unable to utilize the potential of existing platform which was very promising indeed (detachable gimbal, long battery life, stable airframe). Lack of manual camera settings, sub-par app experience (haven't they seen DJI Go or Solo app ever?), lack of flight plans (point-to-fly after takeoff is not a flight plan) could and should had been addressed since the product is in the market for like 2 years now. Let's not even mention the notorious "compass interfered" thingy that obliges users to takeoff in north-south orientation only...
There is no way to get Xiaomi/Fimi drone repaired outside China either - no official or unofficial service chain / spare supply (DIYing with parts from AliExpress is your best bet and I assure you - this is not what the majority of drone industry follows).
And the new ones basically killed the Mi Drone 4k since noone will ever pay $499 for something that is bulkier and less capable that the X8.
I doubt Fimi/Xiaomi will demonstrate more devotion to the X8 after the initial launch therefore thanks, but no thanks for X8.

I did not get the above from thin air - my current Xiaomi stock is: Mi Max 2 (best Xiaomi experience so far), Mi Desk Lamp (replaced under warranty - make sure you have one), Mi PM2 sensor (works just fine), Mi Drone 4k (for sale due to lack of use)
For sure you don't pay for warranty and service with the Xiaomi /Fimi drones, if you want that I suggest you stick to DJI products.
But I'm personely not interested in paying an extra $600 for warranty, and a few minor extra functions.. that I probably will never use.

Sure you take a little risk with buying these kind of drones direct from china, but if a product is bad from the beginning you can always get your money back from paypal.

If I crash it later (and that happens mostly by user error anyway) I still have that 600,- to spend on parts, to fix it myself. I have no problem with that.
DJI is not going to pay for user error either. And theire parts are way more expensive I believe.
Dec 12, 2018, 01:21 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Aliexpress have them....pre order.

That is a $180 different compare to the pre order price I paid.
Stick to Aliexpress for parts or small / cheap items. The shipping options from Ali would mean paying import tax on that X8SE for sure.
Besides that you best go with Paypal protection. I would stick to Banggood of Gearbest.
Dec 12, 2018, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justapoke
Stick to Aliexpress for parts or small / cheap items. The shipping options from Ali would mean paying import tax on that X8SE for sure.
Besides that you best go with Paypal protection. I would stick to Banggood of Gearbest.
Ordered the new Xiaomi X8 se from FIMI with Paypal.
So I'm good.

My Xiaomi Mi 4k drone I ordered from Aliexpress and got it delivered in 3 days.
Dec 12, 2018, 02:13 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Ordered the new Xiaomi X8 se from FIMI with Paypal.
So I'm good.

My Xiaomi Mi 4k drone I ordered from Aliexpress and got it delivered in 3 days.
So what did you pay on import tax, or are you guys in CA have no problems at all with that?

If I order from BG or GB with EMS or DHL for example I also have it on my doorstep in just a few days.
But rather wait a couple weeks, to by-pass the import dutys.

I order stuff on a regular basis with Ali as well, but still not figured out how theire shipping options work.
And recently ordering small parts take a loooong wait sometimes.
Dec 12, 2018, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justapoke
So what did you pay on import tax, or are you guys in CA have no problems at all with that?

If I order from BG or GB with EMS or DHL for example I also have it on my doorstep in just a few days.
But rather wait a couple weeks, to by-pass the import dutys.

I order stuff on a regular basis with Ali as well, but still not figured out how theire shipping options work.
And recently ordering small parts take a loooong wait sometimes.
Shipping was $150 and import tax $55.
Dec 13, 2018, 12:56 AM
Hi,
I joined to this group because need an urgent help. I placed two weeks ago an order for a FiMI A3, still not shipped out... What do you think I should cancel it? and place another one for the X8? I don't need 4k camera but the extra flight time is sweet.

thanks
PPL
Dec 13, 2018, 05:47 AM
This is between you and seller, stop asking us about that..by specs in every way, X8 SE is better.
Dec 13, 2018, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis83
This is between you and seller, stop asking us about that..by specs in every way, X8 SE is better.
oooK, one more question I read here https://www.firstquadcopter.com/news...8-se-4k-drone/ that it has some "TDMA HD" FPV. Do you know its range and resolution? Also if it is compatible with racing goggles?
Dec 13, 2018, 07:30 AM
Sami Luo will give us unboxing today ))

https://www.facebook.com/16353518467...9656128967798/
Dec 13, 2018, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFer
Sami Luo will give us unboxing today ))

https://www.facebook.com/16353518467...9656128967798/
That would be very very interesting
Dec 13, 2018, 08:09 AM
It will be interesting to see the parts list for this drone. To really enjoy flying the X8, more batteries are needed...like 4 extras.
I really like the blue changer of the Xiaomi Mi 4k drone...charging 3 extra batteries at a time.

My parts list:

1. Extra X8 batteries
2. Multi battery changer
3. extra props
Dec 13, 2018, 11:52 AM

Xiaomi Fimi X8 SE Unboxing

Xiaomi Fimi X8 SE Unboxing: The Real Successor of Mi Drone 4K (5 min 11 sec)
Dec 13, 2018, 11:56 AM
Contrary to the Zino, it does have sensors on its belly: optical flow plus ultra-sonic
Dec 13, 2018, 02:53 PM
Thread OP
I think you get 2 extra props with the X8SE?

Will be interesting at what price the extra batterys will be, I remember for the Mi 4K paying around 60,- Euro a piece, even had one for just 35,- at a crazy sale / flash deal.

Quick Reply