Jun 26, 2019, 04:28 PM
I have unboxed my fimi x8se and the android app gave an update notification.
when updating i got the message A12 is not connected. after a few reboots of rc, fimi and phone and inserting a sd card I could update.
but is was beeping at 50 percent. after that i got a timed out message. after that every update was stuck at 50 percent, it timed out and connection was gone..

what can I do about it?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 26, 2019, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by povlhp
As for motor temperature, 70C is usually not a problem. Stepper motors can stay much warmer for hours. I think that there is a bigger risk to where they are mounted.

ABS plast (if that is what is used) has a glass transition temperature in the 80-100C area. That means around that temperature, it becomes a very thick liquid. So motors will get more and more lose if you keep getting the motors and thus the arms too hot.

Nothing in the motor should have problems before temp gets somewhat higher than 70C
Neodymium magnets have pretty low Curie points, some around 80C. So if you can measure 70C on the exterior of a motor after landing, it's possible that the magnets on the inside face (the hotter one) have been higher than 80C. The warmer a motor gets, the less efficient the magnets are, requiring even more power and starting a thermal runoff at a certain point where the motor gets damaged permanently (not much above 80C, usually)

In the old days when we built drones from scratch, any motor above 60-65C at landing was a red flag and worth changing something in the build. Not saying it's definitely a problem in the case of the X8, but I would personally avoid flying in very hot days (also, in hot days, air is thinner, so the motors must work even harder to generate the same lift... one of the reasons why on truly hot days some jets might not take off from certain airports)
Jun 26, 2019, 07:06 PM

Battery and charger information

I've been looking into making my own dual charger for the Fimi batteries, so I did some tests on the original charger and batteries.

The original charger is specified at 13.05 V @ 3A, and it appears to be current limited at 3A. What does that mean? That means it will automatically drop the output voltage if a connected battery tries to draw more than 3A. So, does the batteries limit the current they draw if given the opportunity to draw more than 3A? Nope, they do not. At least they will happily draw between 4 and 5 A if allowed to. Whether there is some upper limit where the onboard circuitry can stop charging if the current is even higher, I don't know. But I suspect not, so the real limit is probably the internal resistance of the cells themselves.

Fimi has chosen to charge the batteries at 3/4.5 = 0.66 C, but there is nothing in the batteries to prevent charging these at 1C, it is the original charger that is doing the limiting. Whether the internal circuitry can handle 1C over time, I don't know, but I'd guess probably (I didn't want to test it for more than a few seconds, so it's just conjecture on my part). However, I think it is wise to not charge with more than what Fimi has designed the batteries for.

Why am I mentioning all this? Simply because I initially believed that the batteries had some internal current limiting, and you could charge them with whatever voltage source you wanted, as long as it supplied 13.05 V to the batteries (and at least 3 A). One reason I believed this to be true, is the Thingiverse project by hygy (which is also linked in the second post of this thread), where he uses a dual DJI charger to charge Fimi batteries. This charger supplies 13.2 V, but it can deliver 4.1 A to each battery. That is more than Fimi intended, so I'd be cautious about it.

Not sure if this is interesting to anyone, but I thought I'd mention it since I spent some time digging into it.
Jun 26, 2019, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robca
Neodymium magnets have pretty low Curie points, some around 80C. So if you can measure 70C on the exterior of a motor after landing, it's possible that the magnets on the inside face (the hotter one) have been higher than 80C. The warmer a motor gets, the less efficient the magnets are, requiring even more power and starting a thermal runoff at a certain point where the motor gets damaged permanently (not much above 80C, usually)

In the old days when we built drones from scratch, any motor above 60-65C at landing was a red flag and worth changing something in the build. Not saying it's definitely a problem in the case of the X8, but I would personally avoid flying in very hot days (also, in hot days, air is thinner, so the motors must work even harder to generate the same lift... one of the reasons why on truly hot days some jets might not take off from certain airports)
They should update the Esc firmware,something is not being calibrated right,not everyone gets the hot motors,it's mainly with the batch with the 3/19 date on the drone.It's ironic that these were the ones with all the discount codes coming out of GWTR ,banggood warehouse,IJS mine doesn't even hold a steady hover...
Jun 26, 2019, 07:51 PM
Anybody else having gargled up,choppy looking fpv at 4k 24 fps feeding into the teclast m89,this tablet should have enough power and does render smooth feed with my mi 4k and phantom 3 standard but not so with the x8..
Jun 26, 2019, 08:53 PM
St. Augustine, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad808
This is a good video, and shows that the X8 SE is a lot of bang for the buck.
Color can always be adjusted to match footage from other drones, but I look for sharpness and gimbal stability.
This particular Fimi footage seems a little less sharp than the Mavic Pro, but it could be quality control. There are lots of examples of really sharp X8 SE footage out there.
I have little experience with HD digital video and zero experience with editing digital video but from what I have seen with my X8-SE so far, it seems in that in the hands of someone with a lot of experience some really high quality videos are possible.

I have been making a lot of short flights working on determining what settings work best. Nothing special about this clip but I think it does show some basic capabilities as well as challenges with certain scene lighting.

VID 20190623 164157 0026 (5 min 15 sec)
Jun 26, 2019, 11:54 PM
Another video sample (mine).
At 21:00 so late. Yet still much light so I did a quick grading with an s-curve and more warm tones to give more evening feel:

Aarslev 2 (10 min 15 sec)
Jun 27, 2019, 01:08 AM

FIMI X8 FC 1052E is more sensitive to measure magnetic field?

When FC 1052E was updated at usual flying field (no magnetic interfered warning popped up at this place in the past), The Amount of Magnetic Interfere showed 2 yellow bars.

Did in-house test how FC 1052E detects magnetic field using angle meter with magnet.
Seems 1052E is more sensitive about magnetic field.

Time chart is;
0sec Angle meter with magnet – same as previous test with FC 1051E.
16sec Latest FW updated on June 16 – FC 1052E
25sec The Amount of Magnetic Interference
One green bar when level meter located far from X8
50sec Moving level meter to X8. 3 Red bar indicated
1min2sec Measured the distance from X8
1min7sec 18cm from X8
1min28sec Further close to X8 - Warning popped up “Compass error, please restart the drone”, “Compass interfered, please change take off point or calibrate
1min44sec Measure the distance – 5cm from X8

FIMI X8 1052E Magnet Sensitivity check Jun 27 (2 min 12 sec)

With previous FW FC 1051E, made similar test how X8 detect magnet field.
Moved angle meter with magnet to X8 about 5cm, The Amount of Magnetic Interfeence showed 3 red (not exactly measured the distance)

FIMI X8 FPV Magnet warning test with magnet (1 min 23 sec)

With this test, I assume latest FW FC 1052E is more sensitive than previous FC, especially X8 is on the ground.
But no waring showed up during the test flight after installing FC 1052E when X8 is flying.

Then it is understandable that The Amount of Magnetic Interfere – 2 yellow bar showed up during the update of FC 1052E at usual flying place where no such warning popped up with previous FC 1051E.

Aiolosimport
Last edited by aiolosimport; Jun 27, 2019 at 03:18 AM.
Jun 27, 2019, 01:42 AM
The only R/C pilot in the city
Quote:
Originally Posted by povlhp
ABS plast (if that is what is used) has a glass transition temperature in the 80-100C area. That means around that temperature, it becomes a very thick liquid. So motors will get more and more lose if you keep getting the motors and thus the arms too hot.
I wouldn't worry about arms. Glass transition temperatue for ABS is ~105° C. It's way above safe temperature for motor itself.
Jun 27, 2019, 02:27 AM
unionglzr
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroek
I've been looking into making my own dual charger for the Fimi batteries, so I did some tests on the original charger and batteries.

The original charger is specified at 13.05 V @ 3A, and it appears to be current limited at 3A. What does that mean? That means it will automatically drop the output voltage if a connected battery tries to draw more than 3A. So, does the batteries limit the current they draw if given the opportunity to draw more than 3A? Nope, they do not. At least they will happily draw between 4 and 5 A if allowed to. Whether there is some upper limit where the onboard circuitry can stop charging if the current is even higher, I don't know. But I suspect not, so the real limit is probably the internal resistance of the cells themselves.

Fimi has chosen to charge the batteries at 3/4.5 = 0.66 C, but there is nothing in the batteries to prevent charging these at 1C, it is the original charger that is doing the limiting. Whether the internal circuitry can handle 1C over time, I don't know, but I'd guess probably (I didn't want to test it for more than a few seconds, so it's just conjecture on my part). However, I think it is wise to not charge with more than what Fimi has designed the batteries for.

Why am I mentioning all this? Simply because I initially believed that the batteries had some internal current limiting, and you could charge them with whatever voltage source you wanted, as long as it supplied 13.05 V to the batteries (and at least 3 A). One reason I believed this to be true, is the Thingiverse project by hygy (which is also linked in the second post of this thread), where he uses a dual DJI charger to charge Fimi batteries. This charger supplies 13.2 V, but it can deliver 4.1 A to each battery. That is more than Fimi intended, so I'd be cautious about it.

Not sure if this is interesting to anyone, but I thought I'd mention it since I spent some time digging into it.
Your comments are always interesting usually way above my head but still good reading and learning. Thanks for the info. Have a great day
Jun 27, 2019, 02:37 AM
[QUOTE=aiolosimport;42178317]When FC 1052E was updated at usual flying field (no magnetic interfered warning popped up at this place in the past), The Amount of Magnetic Interfere showed 2 yellow bars.

Did in-house test how FC 1052E detects magnetic filed using angle meter with magnet.
Seems 1052E is more sensitive about magnetic field.

Time chart is;
0sec Angle meter with magnet – same as previous test with FC 1051E.
16sec Latest FW updated on June 16 – FC 1052E
25sec The Amount of Magnetic Interference
One green bar when level meter located far from X8
50sec Moving level meter to X8. 3 Red bar indicated
1min2sec Measured the distance from X8
1min7sec 18cm from X8
1min28sec Further close to X8 - Warning popped up “Compass error, please restart the drone”, “Compass interfered, please change take off point or calibrate
1min44sec Measure the distance – 5cm from X8

FIMI X8 1052E Magnet Sensitivity check Jun 27 (2 min 12 sec)

With previous FW FC 1051E, made similar test how X8 detect magnet field.
Moved angle meter with magnet to X8 about 5cm, The Amount of Magnetic Interfeence showed 3 red (not exactly measured the distance)

FIMI X8 FPV Magnet warning test with magnet (1 min 23 sec)

With this test, I assume latest FW FC 1052E is more sensitive than previous FC, especially X8 is on the ground.
But no waring showed up during the test flight after installing FC 1052E when X8 is flying.

Then it is understandable that The Amount of Magnetic Interfere – 2 yellow bar showed up during the update of FC 1052E at usual flying place where no such warning popped up with previous FC 1051E.

After the latest update,the compass is more sensitive also for my x8.
I even got the "compass interfered" warning while flying,at low altitude.I don't know if this is dangerous,but it is a little scaring when the warning message pops up midflight...
Jun 27, 2019, 03:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltLife
I have little experience with HD digital video and zero experience with editing digital video but from what I have seen with my X8-SE so far, it seems in that in the hands of someone with a lot of experience some really high quality videos are possible.

I have been making a lot of short flights working on determining what settings work best. Nothing special about this clip but I think it does show some basic capabilities as well as challenges with certain scene lighting.

https://youtu.be/hFpPl7sjtEo
nice settings?
Jun 27, 2019, 03:13 AM
For the first time I have received this message from BG. Ordered 20190527 listed shipped 20190603. Still not at royal shipments.

Maybe the polish helper wants a larger share of the cake.

We are sorry to inform you that your order [11111111] would be delayed 7 days due to customs inspection delay and we have sent 100 points to your account as goodwill. The tracking information will be updated in a few days after the order is dispatched.
Jun 27, 2019, 03:35 AM
is there some better camera settings for this drone? than defaults..
Jun 27, 2019, 03:39 AM
[QUOTE
After the latest update,the compass is more sensitive also for my x8.
I even got the "compass interfered" warning while flying,at low altitude.I don't know if this is dangerous,but it is a little scaring when the warning message pops up midflight...[/QUOTE]

I think it is good to know the enveiroment of magnetic field where X8 is flying.
If it always shows "compass interfered" in certain place, then I will change the flight area.

When I updated FC 1052E, The Amount of Magnetic Interferece showed 2 yellow bars but when I lifted about 1m height, it returned to normal - 1 green.
So I assumed there was some reinforcing rod under the concrete pavement where I updated.
After taking off, stayed 1 green and no strange movement.

Aiolosimport

Quick Reply