Jun 10, 2019, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axan
Someone having trouble with compas calibration? I cant calibrate at all

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk
Try moving to another spot, you could be standing on a Ley Line.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 10, 2019, 02:55 PM
→ 404 Not Found
Thread OP
So did we ever hear back from the guy that ordered the hardcase for 19,- Euro on amazon.de ?

I might have missed a few posts here and there last 2 weeks.
Jun 10, 2019, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroek
Mine came without any such protective plastic. At least I can't see any on mine. If you can't peel it off, maybe that's because there isn't any?
Well, then maybe I'm just an idiot, then?
There's obviously something on the lens, or it's defective. I sure hope it's not the latter! After waiting since February to get the damned drone! It also screws up the video as well! Tried, pealing with my fingernail, no joy. Tried a sharp pointed pin, no joy. Any ideas would be appreciated!

See attached
Jun 10, 2019, 03:23 PM
→ 404 Not Found
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanbli
Well, then maybe I'm just an idiot, then?
There's obviously something on the lens, or it's defective. I sure hope it's not the latter! After waiting since February to get the damned drone! It also screws up the video as well! Tried, pealing with my fingernail, no joy. Tried a sharp pointed pin, no joy. Any ideas would be appreciated!

See attached
Can't remember if I had anything on the lens when I recieved mine, but is sure looks like there's protection tape on yours.

You should use a very sharp knife to try and see if you can peel it off.
Can't damage it by using it on the sides of the lens.

In any case it should be easy to get off, otherwise there's something else going on with your lens and in that case you should contact Fimi!
Jun 10, 2019, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justapoke
Can't remember if I had anything on the lens when I recieved mine, but is sure looks like there's protection tape on yours.

You should use a very sharp knife to try and see if you can peel it off.
Can't damage it by using it on the sides of the lens.

In any case it should be easy to get off, otherwise there's something else going on with your lens and in that case you should contact Fimi!
Thanks for the quick reply!
Do you happen to know if the lens is glass or plastic? Sure don't want to scratch it...
Jun 10, 2019, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Do you happen to know if the lens is glass or plastic? Sure don't want to scratch it...
I would guess plastic, but as long as you stay all the way towards the edge, even if you scratch it, it will not show in the picture. The actual lens is a lot smaller, and the FOV isn't wide enough to make use of all of the outer filter glass.

That said, I still doubt there is any removable plastic on your camera.
Jun 10, 2019, 04:54 PM
Quote:
I've designed my own gimbal protector for the X8, and it is a bit different to the existing ones. As you can see from the images, it is a bit larger, and has a completely different attachment mechanism.

I'm not a big fan of trying to attach the protector to those small tabs on the inside of the gimbal cavity, so instead I opted for hooking it onto the sharp inner edges of the motor arm mounts. This works beautifully, there is just one downside: The motor arms must be folded in to attach the gimbal protector. And also, the gimbal protector must be removed before unfolding the arms. Not really a big issue in my opinion, just something to be aware of.

My protector also rests against the drone body, and probably (I don't want to test) can take a bigger hit without damaging the gimbal than (most of) the other designs out there.

I will publish it to Thingiverse if there is any interest.
Definitely interested.This looks really great and i want to print one on mine!
Jun 10, 2019, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhelmer
Definitely interested.This looks really great and i want to print one on mine!
It has been published. There's a link a few posts back (and also in the 2nd post of this thread, thanks Justapoke).
Jun 10, 2019, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Try with a strongly adhesive piece of tape first. Put the tape on the lens, start lifting from one side, if there's protective film on the lens it's the safest way to remove it. And if there's no film, no harm done
Jun 10, 2019, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Let us know if there is something covering it. I always had the feeling looking at the lens that it had a protective covering but didn't see a tab to pull it off so I never bothered with it. Anyways I'm curious of your findings.
Jun 10, 2019, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robca
Try with a strongly adhesive piece of tape first. Put the tape on the lens, start lifting from one side, if there's protective film on the lens it's the safest way to remove it. And if there's no film, no harm done
Thanks, hadn't thought of that! Ehh, it didn't work & I used Gorilla Tape! Looks like a defect, I sent the pic to Fimi, see what they say.
Jun 10, 2019, 05:10 PM
Quote:
I had a 20 minute flight today with the same card, same drone, same FW (I haven't yet updated to the latest that came this morning), and whaddayaknow: Not a single "Low Speed" warning (I've reviewed my screen cap video to make sure). I'm still maintaining that Fimi has some weird stuff going on in their algorithms for detecting these "Low Speed" conditions. You can of course argue that my drone was faulty, and now has healed itself, but that's not very likely, is it?

During my previous flight (everything was the same), I had these warnings continuously, but for both flights the footage is fine.

I'm only saying this to urge people to have some patience if they have this same issue. Fimi (I'm sure) will fix the firmware to more reliably detect real speed issues, so if your footage is fine, don't worry. Maybe even the newest firmware (that I haven't updated to yet) is supposed to do that, but the description of it is too vague to tell.
Well you appear to be arguing with yourself on this one. Either you are getting warnings or you're not

If they have stopped since you put your new card in, no real surprise there. SD Card and drone compatibility is a well known issue across all brands......
Jun 10, 2019, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Yes that's a good way to do it. Strong tape across the lens and then a sharp pull of the tape (hold the gimbal steady with your fingers). If theres any protective coveriing it should then begin to lift at the edge.

Avoid blades, knives or sharp implements at all costs
Jun 10, 2019, 05:41 PM
Quote:
<RANT>

I agree with you and I have to say I'm a bit puzzled by the attitude here of the folks that seem to think that poor quality 4k video is acceptable because the drone "costs only $400" (which is true only if you got the discount). Yes, it's a cheaper drone than some of the alternatives (not by much), but the only purpose of a 4k drone is to take good videos. Poor gimbal horizon, poor white balance, lack of manual image settings all are a problem.

If you live in the USA you can buy a refurbished (by DJI, with full warranty), for not much more. Yes, a bit shorter flight time, but also much smaller and portable, and with excellent quality video, manual image settings, better optics, ability to use ND filters, more flight modes, third party apps for even more functionality, etc. And the much maligned NFZ is not a problem for 99% of the cases. And the only reason why the X8 costs much less, is because it's not officially imported yet. Any official seller in the USA would have to increase the $400 price by at least 50% to cover for all the extra costs and warranty, and that means roughly the same price as the Mavic Air. Given the volumes and the leverage cross platforms, probably the Mavic Air costs DJI less to manufacture than the X8

Now, I do understand the people who say "it's early, the firmware will improve, I'm betting that it will get much better" (after all, the Mi 4K takes good videos). That makes sense to me, and I like finally seeing some competition to the Mavic Air, so I really wish the X8 well. But the "it's only $400, what do you expect" makes no sense... $400 are a lot of money, and the X8 is sold as a 4k video platform. What good does having 4k resolution if the results are as poor as some of the videos shown here, especially the changing white balance and pixelation, which cannot be corrected in post, unlike the horizon tilt (which takes forever and reduces quality, but at least can be done)?

Unless users complain to Fimi and ask for the quality they paid for, the X8 won't live to its potential... the hardware is good, but the firmware lags well behind

</RANT>
I totally agree. Like I said multiple times already, there's so many people on here shilling this drone (affiliate *wink wink*)

Every time when, to my eyes, a very basic and important problem is pointed out, you get responses such as "it's a $400 drone, what do you expect".
The problem with the said statement is that when buying the drone, at no point in time did I notice the product page saying something on this drone might not work.
The statement "it's a $400 drone, what do you expect" would work if I was complaining about the lack of features, and not about something that was said it was going to work, but in fact doesn't.
When you pile up all of these issues this $400 drone becomes rather expensive since practically nothing works as it should and what was then the point of getting it in the first place?
-the 4k camera gives a crappy footage when moving the gimbal up/down - why get a "cheap $400 drone" with 4k camera then? I got it because I wanted to shoot beautiful footage.
-the fixed white balance jumps from green->blue->purple tint all in the same second when shooting anything that's green - why get a "cheap $400 drone" with all of these options then?
-the gimbal doesn't stay levelled - why get a "cheap $400 drone" with gimbal then?
-PL and most of the smart functions don't function as they should - why get a "cheap $400 drone" with all these features then?
I could go on and on, but you get the point?
Every time a problem is pointed out, in general, the response is "it's a cheap drone, why did you expect it to work". So if you yourself expected all of these things to not work, why didn't you just get a $150 FPV drone then and save $250 since by the looks of it they have about the similar functionalities if you subtract all the malfunctioning things on the X8?

And this community shilling other clueless blokes into buying something that isn't as described doesn't help either. I actually feel sorry for anyone that's persuaded into buying X8 solely based on people's blatant shills.

I'm actually still hopeful a large portion of the problems are going to get ironed out but if the community of X8 owners doesn't wake the eff up and starts getting at least a bit critical about all of these issues instead of swallowing them up, it will never happen. And this comes from someone who is one of the biggest losers of the X8 lottery.

And to anyone who is interested further into my situation:

as mentioned in previous posts, my RC died all of a sudden (on top of already a metric ton of problems). It hasn't been dropped or anything and the drone hasn't been even used that extensively (6 cycles on battery). It took Fimi 2 weeks to answer, and when they did, they provided me with a dead link to a return form. Then it took another week for them to send a new working one. I'll make an update of the whole procedure. I was promised my shipping fees for sending the thing back to China will get reimbursed once they receive it. If that's even true we'll see.

And to expand on why I have only 6 cycles on my battery: I find no use for this drone in the state that it is (even with RC working) and thus I get no fun out of it.I travelled to a few interesting places in my country to get nice shots of extraordinary places, but upon returning home and seeing the footage I was disappointed time and time again. A lot of them looked fine on the phone screen but found out, later on, they were practically unusable.

So now, someone please tell me how much is this drone now worth for me? $400? I don't think so.
Jun 10, 2019, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by McPoopyPants
I totally agree. Like I said multiple times already, there's so many people on here shilling this drone (affiliate *wink wink*)

Every time when, to my eyes, a very basic and important problem is pointed out, you get responses such as "it's a $400 drone, what do you expect".
The problem with the said statement is that when buying the drone, at no point in time did I notice the product page saying something on this drone might not work.
The statement "it's a $400 drone, what do you expect" would work if I was complaining about the lack of features, and not about something that was said it was going to work, but in fact doesn't.
When you pile up all of these issues this $400 drone becomes rather expensive since practically nothing works as it should and what was then the point of getting it in the first place?
-the 4k camera gives a crappy footage when moving the gimbal up/down - why get a "cheap $400 drone" with 4k camera then? I got it because I wanted to shoot beautiful footage.
-the fixed white balance jumps from green->blue->purple tint all in the same second when shooting anything that's green - why get a "cheap $400 drone" with all of these options then?
-the gimbal doesn't stay levelled - why get a "cheap $400 drone" with gimbal then?
-PL and most of the smart functions don't function as they should - why get a "cheap $400 drone" with all these features then?
I could go on and on, but you get the point?
Every time a problem is pointed out, in general, the response is "it's a cheap drone, why did you expect it to work". So if you yourself expected all of these things to not work, why didn't you just get a $150 FPV drone then and save $250 since by the looks of it they have about the similar functionalities if you subtract all the malfunctioning things on the X8?

And this community shilling other clueless blokes into buying something that isn't as described doesn't help either. I actually feel sorry for anyone that's persuaded into buying X8 solely based on people's blatant shills.

I'm actually still hopeful a large portion of the problems are going to get ironed out but if the community of X8 owners doesn't wake the eff up and starts getting at least a bit critical about all of these issues instead of swallowing them up, it will never happen. And this comes from someone who is one of the biggest losers of the X8 lottery.

And to anyone who is interested further into my situation:

as mentioned in previous posts, my RC died all of a sudden (on top of already a metric ton of problems). It hasn't been dropped or anything and the drone hasn't been even used that extensively (6 cycles on battery). It took Fimi 2 weeks to answer, and when they did, they provided me with a dead link to a return form. Then it took another week for them to send a new working one. I'll make an update of the whole procedure. I was promised my shipping fees for sending the thing back to China will get reimbursed once they receive it. If that's even true we'll see.

And to expand on why I have only 6 cycles on my battery: I find no use for this drone in the state that it is (even with RC working) and thus I get no fun out of it.I travelled to a few interesting places in my country to get nice shots of extraordinary places, but upon returning home and seeing the footage I was disappointed time and time again. A lot of them looked fine on the phone screen but found out, later on, they were practically unusable.

So now, someone please tell me how much is this drone now worth for me? $400? I don't think so.
Sorry for your issues, but mine works just fine.

Quick Reply