Apr 12, 2019, 06:54 AM

Need to tighten the screws regularly

This is completely my fault not checking the screw tightness before every 1st flight of the day.
Today after 25 Battery charge cycle, I found some looseness at front right leg connected to motor.

So I tightened + screw for each front leg.
Other parts are used Hexagon screw so I tightened with 1.5mm Hexagon screw driver.
Please see attached photos.

This is just warning that X8 owners should check screw tightness as owner's responsibility.

I think the length of screw might be different from front legs and other parts that why FIMI uses + bolt for front leg and hexagon bolt for other parts.

I feel + bolt is sometime is easily dameged screw head when tightening.
So I asked FIMI support to consdier to use all Hexagon screw in future production to reduce the risk of damaging head.

Aiolosimport
to remove ads between posts
Apr 12, 2019, 07:59 AM

First flight with X8 in 5 Feb 2019

FIMI X8 SE video 1 (4 min 53 sec)

Now with all the FW updates since that time....video much better now?

I still love my Fimi X8....
Last edited by 777MARTIAN; Apr 12, 2019 at 08:19 AM.
Apr 12, 2019, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhelmer
Yes it is, but seems gimbal jitter/jello might have improved though.
From Fimi :

Yes,we have found the bug,caused by the new camera firmware, we will fix it and push new firmware soon

来自钉钉专属商务邮箱
------------------------------------------------------------------
发件人:Geir Engebakken<[email protected]>
日 期:2019年04月12日 18:22:52
收件人:[email protected]<[email protected]>
主 题:Fimi X8 SE
Since latest fw upgrade the FPV video feed is very choppy, will you fix that in a later release?
Apr 12, 2019, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777MARTIAN
Did you manage to get the FPV goggles to work with the X8?
Yes, indeed I did. Only connected HDMI cable from controller to goggles, and it worked just fine. The experience of using them was not so good though, I think its a better view on a large pad instead of small 42 degreess FOV in the goggles. In bright sunlight it might work the other way, that goggles will give better image. And of course it complicates the setup having a long hdmi cable, getting the goggles in hdmi mode etc, ensuring goggle battery is full etc., so much more convenient with a pad dedicated to controller.
Apr 12, 2019, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiolosimport
This is completely my fault not checking the screw tightness before every 1st flight of the day.
Today after 25 Battery charge cycle, I found some looseness at front right leg connected to motor.

So I tightened + screw for each front leg.
Other parts are used Hexagon screw so I tightened with 1.5mm Hexagon screw driver.
Please see attached photos.

This is just warning that X8 owners should check screw tightness as owner's responsibility.

I think the length of screw might be different from front legs and other parts that why FIMI uses + bolt for front leg and hexagon bolt for other parts.

I feel + bolt is sometime is easily dameged screw head when tightening.
So I asked FIMI support to consdier to use all Hexagon screw in future production to reduce the risk of damaging head.

Aiolosimport
I noticed on the props they do use blue loctite, so that is good. Was there any loctite on these screws?

I checked now how it looks, and the reason the front legs have + screws, and not hex is because they screw into plastic. They are only there for holding the cover of the leg. I unscrewed it and found the motor attached to arm with hex screws.

The + screw do not have loctite as they go into plastic, so should be self tightening, but I unscrewd one hex from back leg, and it was indeed blue loctite on it, so all in all it looks like a professional job that the have done!
Last edited by drhelmer; Apr 12, 2019 at 08:51 AM.
Apr 12, 2019, 08:35 AM
Quote:
https://youtu.be/HSSo_mfdXBw

Now with all the FW updates since that time....video much better now?

I still love my Fimi X8....
Yeah, its a great machine, I love it too! However they need to bring better fw upgrades, as almost all new fw brings some sort of degradations, like PL gone, jerky fpv now, etc

I thought we in Norway had harsh climates, but here all snow is gone now, but not at your place it seems!.
Apr 12, 2019, 09:05 AM
I opened up the front left leg, and noticed what I think is the 5.8Ghz antenna - just FYI! The right leg was empty.
Apr 12, 2019, 09:16 AM
Quote:
I noticed on the props they do use blue loctite, so that is good. Was there any loctite on these screws?

I checked now how it looks, and the reason the front legs have + screws, and not hex is because they screw into plastic. They are only there for holding the cover of the leg. I unscrewed it and found the motor attached to arm with hex screws.

The + screw do not have loctite as they go into plastic, so should be self tightening, but I unscrewd one hex from back leg, and it was indeed blue loctite on it, so all in all it looks like a professional job that the have done!
Thanks for your information.
I did not realize all 4 motors are fixed with Hexagon screw and only frong leg cover was fixed with + screw.
That means it shoud be tightened enugh for + screw but even worst case of losening, jut losing fron leg cover only and motors are mounted correctly.

Aiolosimport
Apr 12, 2019, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Yeah, its a great machine, I love it too! However they need to bring better fw upgrades, as almost all new fw brings some sort of degradations, like PL gone, jerky fpv now, etc

I thought we in Norway had harsh climates, but here all snow is gone now, but not at your place it seems!.
Lots of snow up north from me.

WARNING!!!!!!!
Be VERY CAREFULL with putting loctite on the screws. I crashed my Xiaomi mi 4k after replacing the upeer and lower body pieces. The loctite made the plastic brittle and pull the nuts right out from the plastic body!!!!
So the drone lost a motor during flight, never found it!
Apr 12, 2019, 09:19 AM
Some good news today from me, too! My order just got shipped (BG, CN warehouse), I ordered on 21th of March. Can't wait for it to get here!
Apr 12, 2019, 09:39 AM
Me too!!
Ordered Feb 15th
Shipped today.
From Banggood to Spain
Tracking number is ...TH, from Thailand, manufacturer country maybe??
Time to order spare props and battery.
Apr 12, 2019, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Lots of snow up north from me.

WARNING!!!!!!!
Be VERY CAREFULL with putting loctite on the screws. I crashed my Xiaomi mi 4k after replacing the upeer and lower body pieces. The loctite made the plastic brittle and pull the nuts right out from the plastic body!!!!
So the drone lost a motor during flight, never found it!
That true,loctite softens plastic so only for metal to metal, and fimi knows as my unscrew test revealed
Apr 12, 2019, 10:36 AM
Quote:
I opened up the front left leg, and noticed what I think is the 5.8Ghz antenna - just FYI! The right leg was empty.
I noticed on return RTH, many times drone loose connection....I think there are two antennas like in the mi 4k.
Apr 12, 2019, 12:15 PM
Hi!

I checked almost all video footage on youtube now. (My FIMI will be shipped on arod 24th according to BG staff.)
What I see is that distant objects are so out of focus and blurred. Why is that? Its camera cannot focus to infinity or autofocus has ground level/lover weighted priority for selfie shots?

I mostly plan to make landscape shots when it arrives and need very sharp distant objects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiolosimport
Cannot we use Loctite 243 (RED) thread locker? I have that at home but also using cheaper solutions like nail polish
Last edited by FotoAmg; Apr 12, 2019 at 12:28 PM.
Apr 12, 2019, 12:23 PM
Mine is also now marked as shipped. We'll see.....

Quick Reply