Jan 11, 2019, 07:40 AM
If I could order extra parts with the car I would buy one today. But I can't.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 11, 2019, 08:43 AM
Joker, smoker, midnight talker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jym73 View Post
More 46 mph than 50.

But, if you want to go very fast, as already said, the 1/8 is the way to go indeed.

I really see with this BLX 3s serie a Traxxas business plan. Most of Traxxas car must be upgraded if you want to go fast with. If we watch the upgrades that Arrma plan to sell, on tower hobbies, then the BLX 3S is like Traxxas cars, they need ton of upgrades, and expensive, to go above 3s. The Arrma 1/8 don't need all these upgrade to go fast. But, in comparison to Traxxas, the 3s BLX can be use on 3s, when the Traxxas cars will already need upgrades to be durable on 3s. The Rustler 4x4 is a little bit different, after more than 20 years, Traxxas finally decided to upgrade their plastic CVDs, but the price is too close to a 1/8 arrma.

For my kind of use, mainly off road, and has i have others cars which go fast ( even almost 90kph with a 1/10 buggy on 2s), 45-50mph is plenty fast for off road use. It is like the JLB and Vkar Bison, sold with 3s and fast enough out of the box (the motor already get too hot on 3s), 45-50mph also, and i don't advise to use them on 4s, they aren't design to be durable on 4s (there are two japanese guys on youtube who put 6s in a JLB ).

50mph is the good balance for off-road use for me, fast enough for doing great jumps and keep a car durable enough to be able to finish a battery without breakage.
Sooo.. Basically you should look at the BLX 6S from the start?

For me, for each pack I run through, the more I feel the need (want) for torque rather than speed. After all, 50 mph is faster than cars are allowed to drive in densely populated areas here in Sweden.
Jan 11, 2019, 09:20 AM
The Mad Titan
Quote:
Originally Posted by naDah View Post

For me, for each pack I run through, the more I feel the need (want) for torque rather than speed. After all, 50 mph is faster than cars are allowed to drive in densely populated areas here in Sweden.
Torque is the main difference I've noticed between driving the 3S and 6S vehicles. 6S acceleration feels almost brutal in comparison to the 3S cars. It may all be in my head, and if I did testing, perhaps performance is closer than I imagine. Regardless, the 6S vehicles having metal gearing/drive train components allows for installing insane power if you want. I'm not sure how the plastic components in the 3S will handle power above and beyond stock?

The MAIN modification I think is absolutely necessary on the 3S vehicles is swapping out the motor mounting plate for a Hot Racing adjustable mounting plate (though Arrma is introducing their own as well). The set mounting positions, from my experience, set the pinion/spur mesh WAY too tight. This causes all sorts of stress on the ESC, motor, pinion, spur, slipper, etc.... The adjustable mount also allows for a wider variety of pinion sizes to be used of course, not just the 3 or 4 offered on the stock plate.
Jan 11, 2019, 09:31 AM
Have you seen my LVC?
Thread OP
Quote:

Also, realize the whole BLX3s line is a price-point / entry level line. Yeah, they perform good enough to make a lot of long time bashers happy, but the market is really for the guy on a budget.
BLX3s - $300 + 2 batteries and a basic charger=$400-$450 to be running.
BLX6s - $500 + 2 batteries and a strong charger = $700-$800 to be running.

If you have a bigger budget, I'd say go with the 6s line and don't look back. They are tougher, faster, handle better, more aftermarket, and if you don't need insane speeds and backflips, they still run very well on 4s.
Jan 11, 2019, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1138 View Post
Torque is the main difference I've noticed between driving the 3S and 6S vehicles. 6S acceleration feels almost brutal in comparison to the 3S cars. It may all be in my head, and if I did testing, perhaps performance is closer than I imagine. Regardless, the 6S vehicles having metal gearing/drive train components allows for installing insane power if you want. I'm not sure how the plastic components in the 3S will handle power above and beyond stock?
I'm not sure either, both my trucks have all metal drivetrains. Don't think I'd want to run 3S with plastic in the drivetrain.

Quote:
The MAIN modification I think is absolutely necessary on the 3S vehicles is swapping out the motor mounting plate for a Hot Racing adjustable mounting plate (though Arrma is introducing their own as well). The set mounting positions, from my experience, set the pinion/spur mesh WAY too tight. This causes all sorts of stress on the ESC, motor, pinion, spur, slipper, etc.... The adjustable mount also allows for a wider variety of pinion sizes to be used of course, not just the 3 or 4 offered on the stock plate.
Sounds kinda like normal Ready To Rebuild stuff though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryRigged View Post
Also, realize the whole BLX3s line is a price-point / entry level line. Yeah, they perform good enough to make a lot of long time bashers happy, but the market is really for the guy on a budget.
BLX3s - $300 + 2 batteries and a basic charger=$400-$450 to be running.
BLX6s - $500 + 2 batteries and a strong charger = $700-$800 to be running.

If you have a bigger budget, I'd say go with the 6s line and don't look back. They are tougher, faster, handle better, more aftermarket, and if you don't need insane speeds and backflips, they still run very well on 4s.
Yeah, that's about what I've figured. But I don't really care for the "should be upgraded from the box" thingie.
Jan 11, 2019, 10:48 AM
Have you seen my LVC?
Thread OP
Quote:
Yeah, that's about what I've figured. But I don't really care for the "should be upgraded from the box" thingie.
Not sure what you mean by this? Both the 3s and 6s cars are tough enough out of the box, unless you are an extreme basher...
Jan 11, 2019, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Not sure what you mean by this? Both the 3s and 6s cars are tough enough out of the box, unless you are an extreme basher...
As of right now, sure. What I'm saying is that I really hope they keep it that way.
Jan 11, 2019, 07:40 PM
This video has sold me on the 3s BLX over the 6s! Pretty insane bashing he puts it through. I don't think it can be driven much harder than this...and if it is, then you need to find something else to get your anger out on

Arrma Typhon 3s BLX 4x4 "Sick" with Notorious and Tekno MT410... (9 min 20 sec)
Latest blog entry: Life Updates :)
Jan 12, 2019, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXxEuroBabexXx View Post
If I could order extra parts with the car I would buy one today. But I can't.
Here you go;

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...ARCH=Typhon+3s
Feb 15, 2019, 11:09 AM
I purchased one of the 3S Typhons and made the mistake of taking it out for the first run on a cold day and made a mistake in a turn. Broke the front A Arm and 6 weeks later I'm still waiting on them to be offered for sale. Wish I knew how to 3D print. Might be another 3 weeks before the arms are available.
Feb 15, 2019, 05:11 PM
Oh man that sucks!! I’d be so mad in that situation.

I know a guy on here who 3D prints all the stuff I need. He is fast and has great pricing. PM me if you are interested in messaging him about it.
Feb 15, 2019, 09:21 PM
My head in the clouds!
Arrma Typhon 3s blx Front Arms Fix (1 min 49 sec)
Feb 17, 2019, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead5496 View Post
This video has sold me on the 3s BLX over the 6s! Pretty insane bashing he puts it through. I don't think it can be driven much harder than this...and if it is, then you need to find something else to get your anger out on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF_LtoS0KHk
Yup, sold me too.. Just bacorderecd one , so mad at my self for not ordering one when I saw them in stock ! 😡
Feb 18, 2019, 01:58 AM
There is a nice used one for sale in the classifieds here you could buy! Cheaper than new too.
Feb 18, 2019, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Most of the running vids I have seen of the BLX3s trucks, they run cool even on 3s. But some find that with bigger pinions, the motor starts to cog bad. YMMV, as always...

I feel like Arrma gears their cars for the higher voltage option. Smaller pinions to run the 3s/6s out of the box without heat issues. This seems to be backwards of most other mfgrs. Seems others will put the biggest pinion in there they can without heat issues on 2s, then if you drop a 3s in there, you are almost guaranteed to have issues.
That's because Traxxas and others want to be able to advertise that it can run a Mach 3 right out of the box. Pay no attention to the fact that it'll burn up in 5 minutes.

Quick Reply